Buying a NRS Kuda Fishing Yak : advice on electric pump, motor and mount?

Hi all. Im putchasing a NRS Kuda for fishing and even thouh it comes with a hand pump im looking for advice on electric pumps under $200 and also what low budget motor mounts and small electric motors people use on these inflatables.
Cannot wait to get on the water!

Please dont reply with “advice” on not buying an inflatable. This is what works for me.

Honestly, I have never heard of anyone installing an electric pump on an inflatable, or on a sit on top, for that matter (which is what the Kuda is). Even the big makers of inflatable yacht tenders and rescue boats, like Zodiac, which have deeper interior hull space, don’t offer those as options or accessories.

Just curious why you think you need a pump? You are going to get wet in that design of sit on top, in fact ANY sit on top, and the hull in the Kuda is not deep enough to collect that much anyway. It looks to be virtually flush and probably flushes off as the boat rolls with the water. Even if it had a couple of inches of water, it would not affect performance and if you don’t like to get your feet wet with some hull slosh, this is not the kind of boat you will be happy with anyway. Just my two cents.

I wonder if you are confused by the fact that NRS lists the Kuda coming with a hand pump. That is an AIR pump for inflating the boat, not for removing water. All inflatable boats come with that, standard. I have 6 kayaks with inflatable components and they all came with hand operated inflation pumps.

Some people use small water pumps in closed deck sea kayaks to purge them after a capsize out in deep water. That is a whole other kind of situation because a sea kayak can take on 100s of pounds of water and become very unstable.

I suggest you go ahead and buy the boat first, then use it and see if you really need a water pump. NRS makes great boats and this will be a fine fishing platform, but I am pretty confident it doesn’t need anything like that.

Can you clarify what the pump would do? I think when many people here think of a pump, they are thinking of something to remove water from a bilge. But I suspect you are looking for one to inflate the kayak?

I have an OutdoorMaster rechargeable pump called The Whale. Link below. I like the battery pump so it can be used away from the car. It has enough capacity to inflate several kayaks or SUPs and beach toys. It will make quick work of high pressure drop stitched floors. The only downside is screwing into air valves like Leafield C7/D7 requires spinning the whole pump around because of that stiff air hose.

I have no personal experience with motors on kayaks. But from the web, it looks like a 12V trolling motor is all you need on a kayak. You can get a basic motor that you manually control and a deep cycle battery, or you can splurge and get one with a shaft-mounted sonar, Lithium battery, and a nice multi-function display and GPS features. Mounting will be a challenge, because you can’t just screw into an inflatable wherever convenient. For the Kuda, it looks like you could mount the motor bracket on the pair of universal surface mounts just behind the seat. The bracket setup will need to have some give or adjustability in it because those universal mounts aren’t going to be exactly coplanar. We don’t want the bracket causing extra stress on the bladder by trying to pull the two mounts in line against the inflation pressure.

if you mean an inflation pump, there are plenty that work plugged into a car cigarette lighter or even work on batteries that are under $40 or even under $20. You don’t need anything as costly as $200! Everybody sells them, from Harbor Freight Tools to auto parts places like Autozone and sporting goods stores.

Why don’t you see how much effort it really takes to inflate your new boat first? I can inflate my 16’ long Feathercraft sit on top in a few minutes with just 20 to 25 strokes on the hand pump.

Be aware with inflatables (if this will be your first one) that you must not leave them sitting out in the sun out of the water once inflated to operational pressure. The air pressure can expand enough to rupture the bladders. As long as they are in the water they are ok per natural cooling. Also, if the water is chilly, you may need to top off the pressure a little after being out for a while since the air pressure will drop as it gets colder.

Yea to inflate it

No to punp it up