Caonoe double paddle.

9’ = 276 cm
http://www.joshmadison.com/software/

the other reason (besides P-Net) to have a computer.

Tommy

Jack I’m in Zebulon
This weekend I’ll be celebrating my son’s birthday and then paddling the Neuse. Next two weekends I’ll be sailing from Beufort to Cape Lookout to see the new inlets cut all up and down Core Sound.

Hope you do well in the race. My kayaks at rec boats and even slower than the canoes. The only way I could keep up is to row!

Frank

Double blade paddles
Chad19,

Are you still paddling your Rec Kayak (Rob Roy)? Asked the question to point out problem with generalizations.

A double blade paddle is a double blade paddle, not a canoe paddle or kayak paddle. They were the usual paddle at the start of recreational paddling (in decked canoes) from 1850’s to about 1900.

Because of shoulder issues, I use a low stroke when kayaking even though it is less efficient. A higher stroke brings too much pain for the increased efficiency. When I paddle my Rob Roy I use a double blade paddle. With a single blade paddle, when my rt hand is on the grip, the same pain issue is present (rt hand on shaft is ok). My point is that you should use whatever paddle works for you. Loose the attitude about what others use- sometimes there are reasons that are not apparent at first glance.

Dave

The attractive thing about a single
Is that you can have better control of your canoe. Lessons are not necessary to learn how to use a single to make a canoe go straight, but they help. Dozen of books have been written on the topic. Just about anybody can learn how to do a J-stroke in just a few minutes. From that point on each new stroke and/or maneuver adds to your skill level. Learning new proficiencies can be a drag or a series of interesting challenges - depends on your desire to learn new skills I suppose. Whatever floats your boat… If a double is your preference – enjoy!

if you’re in a hurry …
… why not get a jet ski or a powerboat?

It seems to me that if the point of your paddling is go someplace fast you pretty much defeat the whole purpose of recreational paddling.

I tried a double-bladed paddle in my solo canoe years ago, but got tired of the water dropping on my feet and it didn’t go that much faster.

Why not slow down and smell the coffee. Besides, with a single bladed paddle you get … oh, never mind … you young’uns only care ‘bout goin’ fast and lookin’ cool.

Whatever turns your crank.

Fast ain’t 5mph, which is my speed
on a good day. I usually carry a single blade with me for tight spots, but nothing beats a double blade in a 2 mile crossing with the wind kicking, which is just about every time I go to Jocassee.

i don’t really care
what you or anyone else uses. i said in the post to use whatever he wants. i use a single blade and paddle the rob roy like a canoe, not a rec. kayak. it’s only when you raise the seat that the rob roy becomes dynamic from a hull performance standpoint. then you can lean the boat, spin on a dime, heel the boat for wind conditions, etc. it’s a whole new boat when you’re setting six or seven inches off the hull. do what you want. i was only suggesting that almost anyone who puts in the time can learn to make a canoe go travel straight or turn well with a single blade.

amen
:slight_smile:

sounds like fun …
NOT !!

Like they say: to each their own.

But then again I’ve clocked my Navarro 16 on my GPS @ 4.7 mph using a single paddle without trying real hard.

But then again, in my OT Pack I’m lucky to hit 3 mph with a single blade paddle.

Have you considered getting a faster boat?

Faster than String’s Voyager?
There aren’t many: It’s a very fast boat.

I paddle with String. He came to canoes from kayaks for health reasons, so feels more comfortable with a double paddle. And sometimes just getting to the opposite shore on Jocassee as quickly as possible is important.

I love paddling creeks and rivers in my MRC Guide with straight single-bladed paddles, but occasionally use a double (and a big, fat Mohawk double, at that) when I need to put down a lot of power right now. I can paddle my Summersong and Magic straight and fast with a bent-shaft single, but I also use double/kayak paddles at times. I’m pretty new to the double paddle thing, but I’m learning that there are a lot of proficiencies there to add to my repertoire of paddling skills. Just ask a kayaker.

Besides, how did this descend into yet another “bash double paddles for canoes” thread? His original question was “What long double paddles are there,” not “Am I morally bankrupt for paddling a canoe with a double paddle?”

Well Lee, there goes your nickname.
Glad to have you, er, “on board”.

oops
I don’t think we meant to bash anyone.

I believe this falls under the category of “tried that” and “it didn’t work for me.”

Sorry if I offended anyone, but any speed increase I gained using a double-bladed paddle was negated by all the water falling into my lap.

But, if speed is the only issue, go for it.

I can’t speak for anyone else…
…but my comments were intended to encourage String to grow as a paddler. I was offering what I thought of as “advice, suggestions and general help”. My intention was to infer that he might learn a thing or two by opening his mind to the idea of using a single blade. My inference was that he might even have a little fun with the learning process.

Now if I did indeed feel his immortal soul could be saved by my mere comments I wouldn’t pussy-foot around. Nosirreebob, if that were the case I would have no hesitancy to suggest in the strongest possible words that he drop that damned devilish double-bladed contrivance of Satan post haste, abstain from all that splish-splashin’, cease waddling around the lake like a wounded duck and learn how to paddle properly with a single-blade like Almighty God intended. But… I’m not sure his soul CAN be saved at this point – it being so morally bankrupt and all…

LMAO and I hope you are too! Randall

Speaking of "Rednecks"
the guy who was driving the shuttle van that was pulling the trailer carrying the yaks and canoes back and forth at last Saturdays race commented about his several year old inspection sticker with:

“You can tell he is a redneck if his inspection sticker is out of date by at least four years!”

Cheers,

JackL

my brother-in-law …
… who prides himself for being an “Indian Okie” missed Thanksgiving Dinner a few years back.

Seems he had a slight problem with his license plate.

He said the first thing the highway patrol officer said was: “This Toyota pickup truck sure don’t look like no 1989 Ford Taurus …” and it went downhill from there.

He spent the weekend in the county jail … seems they have laws about such things!

I’m not aware of anything I want to do…
…with a single paddle that is better than what I do with my double. Both sides of my body work equally hard or easy, I get tremendous leverage for pries and sweeps, etc. Learning all the strokes for a single as an art form just doesn’t interest me. I might enjoy music more if I learned to tap dance, but why bother?

ummmmm …
Maybe you didn’t see Lee_J’s request that this topic not degenerate into a single vs. double paddle bashing thread.

I know you didn’t mean go there (just like I didn’t earlier today), but let’s be cool and help us turn paddling.net into a place where we don’t keep ripping into one another (as we’ve been doing for waaaay tooo looooong).

Now please do like arkay and I have done and make your amends with your mea culpa.

Thanks …

redneck_paddler, message board ettiquette police

Actually,…
… I suppose I should worry about String’s immortal soul, but it has less to do with his use of the double paddle than his grouchiness when his legs hurt him or his job’s worse than usual.

I work both sides of the paddling street, so to speak, and wonder why people don’t love using a single paddle in a responsive boat. There are few things more rewarding and one of these years I’ve gotta get myself some freestyle lessons. But I also like using a double with some boats and in some situations. As they say, it takes all kinds.

me too
i wasn’t trying to offend anyone. i was simply trying to give encouragement for trying a single blade and not giving up if it doesn’t work great on the first six or eight days out. personally, i feel a single blade gives me more control over my boat and i just like them better. there’s nothing wrong with paddling a canoe with anything, even a set of oars. we’re all out there to have fun. so whatever makes it fun is what you need to be doing, or else why canoe in the first place?

1 Like

To set everyone’s mind at ease,

– Last Updated: Sep-21-05 10:20 AM EST –

what I do with a paddle has little to do with the state of my soul, which is a pretty cantankerous thing .
As far as debates - fire away. Where I draw a serious line is when the name calling and assorted nastiness begin, among strangers.
I have enjoyed this thread.
And noone has pointed out that I can't spell canoe.