Cheri Perry wood boat from TITS 3

Does any body know where to get plans for a boat

like this. I wanted to build a good rolling

boat but stay with a wood boat SNG or strip. Thx

They can be painful …
to get out of (and in)! Why don’t you email Cheri and Turner and ask?

http://kayakways.net/

h2o@kayakways.net

~wetzool

Black pearl
If you want a strip built rolling kayak you can’t go wrong with a Black Pearl. Bjorn tailors the drawing based on your measurements. That way you know it will fit you.

http://thomassondesign.com/entry.aspx?id=113

http://thomassondesign.com/post.aspx?id=1168453677

Black pearl
Anybody have experience with this boat. I’am

looking for more of dedicated rolling boat then

what I have now(just hard shell/fiberglass

anas & avocet)& would like to stay with an

all wood boat.

Black pearl
That looks like a nice design, & boat being deigned for you built into plans. Anybody paddle

one of this?

why wood and not sof?
JSMarch and Slovrien both have the black pearl. But why not a sof that is a dedicated rolling boat?

paul

Is black pearl
Close to a deicated rolling boat?

yes
some may argue but it is pretty much the closest commercially available in plan form boat for what you are asking.

Paul

here…
http://www.seaspiritkayaks.com/SS2/SS_Drawing_Pages/SSD_Drawingsframes.htm

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I think the wooden kayak that Cheri was in was a Bobby Curtis designed Sea Spirit.

Black Pearl vs Outer Island
How does the Black Pearl design compare to the Outer Island design?

take a look at
my reviews–have both OI and BP, and they are very different boats. I believe that the boat that Cheri used was a one off design by Bill Whittington (?)–anyway there’s information on this on Bjorn’s and on kayakways. The BP is an easy rolling boat, but it is not a dedicated rolling boat. Many dedicated rolling boats and even the OI have a decided “pop” or righting moment once the boat gets up on its side–not true for the BP which feels like rolling a round object or, put differently, it’s charm is that it disappears (or is neutral) no matter what condition you encounter, not just rolling. If you want a dedicated rolling boat, get Turner to make/help with a SOF; if you want a low volume East Greenland go to boat, build a BP; if you want a point A to point B long fast long distance boat that is an easy roller, get an ocean cockpit OI. Just my 2 cents.

Right on!!
John’s remarks are exactly mine in most respects. I had the Black Pearl and now have the Outer island ocean cockpit boats.

Cheri’s STEALTH BOAT is a design by none other than the well-loved Bill Whitcomb. Bjorn actually has a picture of it on his website as Bill released his boat just weeks after Bjorn released the Black Pearl. Bjorn thought it was pretty extraordinary, as the two boats had essentially the same specs (though the designs are notably different) and both he and Bill released pictures of their pet animals in the cockpit! (black dog vs black cat)

However, back to John’s comments. Agree that the STEALTH boat is a strict roller, the Outer Island is a day cruise point a to point b, and the Black Pearl is both and neither!

Ain’t kayaks just 'da BOMB!!!??!! The more of 'em you get, the more of 'em you want!

:wink:

Scott

Stealth
Strictly a roller. I’ve paddled it, and it’s very very low to the water, and kinda tippy, but not uncontrollably so. I wouldn’t feel comfy in it in any sizeable seas.

Bill did a hell of a job designing it for that purpose! One of the easiest rollers I’ve tried.

Thanks for info
I’ll look into cheri’s stealth boat.

Cheri’s natural wood boat is?
In the TITS 3 video that natural wood boat she is

rolling is a sea apirt kayak from Bobby Curtis?

Sea spirt desiged as a roller?
Is sea spirt designed as a rolling boat or more

just good at rolling but also designed for

paddling or ? Thx

have to look at tits3 again
but my recollection from paddling with them is that both cheri and turner paddle bbk boats (aral i think) when playing in rough water.

Plans for Sea Spirit
Anybody know where I could get plans for sea spirit designed by Bobby Curtis. Bobby isn’t

offering plans at this point. Thx

it is my impression
that the anas acuta & avocet cannot be rolled

good plan

My boats roll good
just want to try building a wood boat. It’s

something I’ve wanted to do for a while