Choosing the right boat

OK, so I’m not looking for anyone to tell me what boat is best for me. I’m not a seasoned pro, but I’m not that dumb.
I’ve been buying different boats and paddling, trying to figure out what checks the most box’s for me and I’m slowly narrowing it down. After deciding I wanted to go the touring / sea kayak route I bought myself a cheap used Dagger Seeker with a rudder and began logging happy hours. I decided something more rigid was what I wanted to try next and bought a 17’ Canadian made high volume fiberglass boat (not sure who makes it). I love the thing and took it camping the first weekend I had it. Paddles nice, doesn’t seem to make much difference when it’s loaded as far as how it paddles on flat water. Great boat. The next week I found a deal on a used Chesapeake 17, and I had to have that pretty wooden boat. I took a couple short test paddles and really liked the feel. The harder chines felt fun and like it could be playful and give me some room to expand and learn.
The first weekend I had this boat I took it camping also. I figured out that the Chesapeake doesn’t haul near as much and even with what I loaded It rode much lowere in the water and the paddling effort was noticeably harder. I think this tells me that I want a high volume boat for most of my paddling since I like going camping. There were 2 - 3 foot swells and wind and I was taking water over the deck, but it never felt like it was in danger of going over, although I did wish I had my regular paddle in my hand instead of my greenland. A bit more power in the stroke might have felt nice.
On to my likes and dislikes and trying to narrow down the search.
At this point I’m liking the hard chine and some rocker. Probably give or take 17 foot and rigid with solid bulkheads, although some of the day touring boats seem to have a lot of volume in the 14 1/2’ range so I’m curiouse to paddle some of those to see what the slightly fatter boat paddles like. Speaking of day touring boats being a little fatter, I would like to get to my volume hauling with as narrow of a boat as I can so although 22" may not be doable in a high volume boat I want to keep it as skinny as I can for various non camping characteristics and for when camp is setup and I’m just out playing.
I’m just looking for ideas for a higher volume, hard chined boat that will haul a good amount of camping gear. I’m not really interested in spending the money on hard core backpacking compact light gear to be able to be comfortable solo camping from a kayak, not when I know a higher volume boat does the job while letting me bring comforts.
The top of my list at this point is the Eddyline Fathom. Not a hard chine like a typical wooden or skin on frame but harder. I’ve only paddled one one time and it was at a paddlefest. Crowded little part of the lake and no way to really try it out. I’m looking for other thoughts along this line of boat. Hoping to find some different boats that I can rent for a day. Paddle them empty then maybe fill them with camping gear and see how they do. Try and log a few hours of steady paddling in them and see what they feel like.
Something else that might be good to have thoughts on though is the difference in handling of some of the boats when loaded and the water isn’t being friendly. I do want something that when loaded doesn’t take on a non cooperative feel.

Thanks guys!

Sounds like the never ending Quest for Perfect. Good luck!
That is a serious comment, not sarcastic.

Where is your primary paddling destination? Where are you located?

You mentioned a Canadian made boat, and I know of few. I have an Impex Assateague that has been well loved by me for a number of years now. To the best of my knowledge it was made by Mid Canada Fiberglass in New Liskeard, Ontario.

@string said:
Sounds like the never ending Quest for Perfect. Good luck!
That is a serious comment, not sarcastic.

Not so much looking for perfect. Just looking for ideas of other boats to try out. Hard chined, high volume. I’m not even sure if when I find a boat that fits that bill best if that’s what I want. I am narrowing down the choices to see what I want and thought the experience of the people on here might be more helpful than just reading advertisements. These boats aren’t cheap and I can’t afford to own them all as I figure out what I enjoy the most.
It’s a fun journey finding the boat that hauls what I want, feels good in bumpy water and is fun to paddle. I love all the boats I’ve bought and played with along the way, just not all of them are useful beyond enjoying the paddle.

@Sparky961 said:
Where is your primary paddling destination? Where are you located?

You mentioned a Canadian made boat, and I know of few. I have an Impex Assateague that has been well loved by me for a number of years now. To the best of my knowledge it was made by Mid Canada Fiberglass in New Liskeard, Ontario.

Mostly I find myself on large lakes and rivers although I do plan on some ocean play. I have a small stack of sea kayaks so the ocean isn’t my primary concern for now. I do however want something that is good for all day paddling with it loaded and handles the water getting bumpy.
I typically find myself heading out on rivers and lakes to find camping spots, and have plans for trips like going down the Columbia from Portland to Ilwaco, the Clark fork from St. Regis Mt. to Missoula and out in Willapa bay. No traveling down the coast. No (planned) winter storm trips. Basic one day to one week camping trips, mostly solo.

You could look into a Boreal Design Baffin, a hard-chined boat with a skeg, available in 3 sizes and 3 different materials.

http://borealdesign.com/kayaks/baffin-series/

@kfbrady said:
You could look into a Boreal Design Baffin, a hard-chined boat with a skeg, available in 3 sizes and 3 different materials.

That’s what I’m looking for. Ideas on different boats. Those Boreal boats look interesting, although a bit on the heavy side but they only show dealers in the Northeast! I’m in the Northwest.

Check out the P&H Cetus. 3 sizes. Soft chined, yeah, I know, but people with more experience that me find it playful enough I guess. The reason I mention it is that it is considered a load hauler, which is one thing you want to do.

@SharpsRifle said:

@kfbrady said:

That’s what I’m looking for. Ideas on different boats. Those Boreal boats look interesting, although a bit on the heavy side but they only show dealers in the Northeast! I’m in the Northwest.

Now you tell us! :slight_smile:

Have you looked into the classic Valley Brit-boats? Like the Anas Acuta?

https://www.valleyseakayaks.com/our-kayaks/classic-models/anas-acuta

Not inexpensive but great boats. There’s a dealer in Issaquah, WA
https://www.kayakacademy.com/

@kfbrady said:

@SharpsRifle said:

@kfbrady said:

Now you tell us! :slight_smile:

Have you looked into the classic Valley Brit-boats? Like the Anas Acuta?

https://www.valleyseakayaks.com/our-kayaks/classic-models/anas-acuta

Not inexpensive but great boats. There’s a dealer in Issaquah, WA
https://www.kayakacademy.com/

Well I did talk about paddling a river in Montana and the Columbia from Portland to the Pacific!
I appreciate the input. The Anas Acuta looks like an interesting boat worth trying out!
So many boats out there. Nice to get thoughts from other people who have been around other designs.

@SharpsRifle said:
Well I did talk about paddling a river in Montana and the Columbia from Portland to the Pacific!

You did indeed!

Another couple of boats you might want to look into are the P&H Delphin, and the P&H Hammer, both very interesting designs.
http://www.phseakayaks.com/

Or, you could just get a great “do everything” boat like a CD Sirocco or one of their newest Danish designs…
https://www.cdkayak.com/

If you’re interested in the CD Sirocco here’s one on CL Portland for $950.

https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/boa/d/goldendale-two-sea-kayak-package/6956458304.html

Have you tried any Stellar boats? Light, stiff, fast and somewhat durable. Some like the 18 have hard chines and can carry a lot of gear. Their ST17 tandem (if you’re paddling with someone else) is sublime. Just don’t feed them a steady diet of rocks.

BTW Love the Sharps or any black powder for that, even golf ball mortars except the amount of cleaning necessary kills the fun. Even more so with muzzle-loaders you spend a few seconds shooting, a few minutes loading to a few hours cleaning the damn thing! Without the BP you don’t have the smoke and firework smell which is half the fun but in the end I feed my trapdoor a steady diet of smokeless loads charged to BP like pressures like the Remington Core Lokt. 1400fps for a 405 grain projectile is fine for ringing steel at 1-200 yards or harvesting anything on this continent. My shoulder thanks me too.

@CA139 said:

BTW Love the Sharps or any black powder for that, even golf ball mortars except the amount of cleaning necessary kills the fun. Even more so with muzzle-loaders you spend a few seconds shooting, a few minutes loading to a few hours cleaning the damn thing! Without the BP you don’t have the smoke and firework smell which is half the fun but in the end I feed my trapdoor a steady diet of smokeless loads charged to BP like pressures like the Remington Core Lokt. 1400fps for a 405 grain projectile is fine for ringing steel at 1-200 yards or harvesting anything on this continent. My shoulder thanks me too.

Are we on the right forum here?

@CA139 said:
Have you tried any Stellar boats? Light, stiff, fast and somewhat durable. Some like the 18 have hard chines and can carry a lot of gear. Their ST17 tandem (if you’re paddling with someone else) is sublime. Just don’t feed them a steady diet of rocks.

That Stellar Intrepid 18 looks nice!
As for the sharps… I’ve shot 45-120 and 50-140’s with black powder, I use skookum loads with modern powder in my 45-70 though. Now my trapdoor being over 130 years old only gets black powder and of course the flint lock doesn’t even want to hear about pyrodex

I gave up that hobby for the same reasons. Mostly the mess. Water is much nicer.

Sharps
You might like the looks of the new Eddyline Sitka. The larger sized one (15’-3") looks like it could haul a pretty good load. On the other hand, I know where you can pick up an Eddyline Raven for $1295. The Raven in my opinion is the best Eddyline ever. By the way, does anyone know why Eddyline quit building the Raven?

You mentioned wanting to paddle Willapa Bay–Why? There are much better places to paddle just a few miles away. You also mentioned the Columbia from Portland to the Pacific. Now you’re talking, but you might want to stop at Astoria. Beyond there very far you’re in a whole different world. Not saying it’s out of the question, but you had better know what you’re doing.

Paddling on the lower Columbia, you’re going to want a fast boat. The tide can run upriver at times fast enough to just about stop you unless you know exactly where to paddle. It also pays to know when it’s a bad idea to be in some parts of the river under certain conditions–like a strong outgoing tide against a strong west wind at Tongue Point. Another area would be at Little Cape Horn under the same conditions. Otherwise, the Columbia is some of the best paddling anywhere at the right time of the year (summer).

@magooch said:
Sharps
You might like the looks of the new Eddyline Sitka. The larger sized one (15’-3") looks like it could haul a pretty good load. On the other hand, I know where you can pick up an Eddyline Raven for $1295. The Raven in my opinion is the best Eddyline ever. By the way, does anyone know why Eddyline quit building the Raven?

You mentioned wanting to paddle Willapa Bay–Why? There are much better places to paddle just a few miles away. You also mentioned the Columbia from Portland to the Pacific. Now you’re talking, but you might want to stop at Astoria. Beyond there very far you’re in a whole different world. Not saying it’s out of the question, but you had better know what you’re doing.

Paddling on the lower Columbia, you’re going to want a fast boat. The tide can run upriver at times fast enough to just about stop you unless you know exactly where to paddle. It also pays to know when it’s a bad idea to be in some parts of the river under certain conditions–like a strong outgoing tide against a strong west wind at Tongue Point. Another area would be at Little Cape Horn under the same conditions. Otherwise, the Columbia is some of the best paddling anywhere at the right time of the year (summer).

Well, the reason for paddling Willapa bay is that’s how you get to the sloughs that take you into Long Island for camping and hiking.
As for the tides along the Columbia and what lies West, I am well aware of those dangers.
I grew up by there and have spent my share of my youth working on those tidal waters. I wouldn’t ever go out to cross the bar of the Columbia in my Kayak. That thing can go from calm to scary in a big boat rather quickly! If I chose to hit the ocean from there, there are better and safer ways to launch both North in Washington and South in Oregon.
Although I would like a boat that is great for lots of coastal adventures, that’s not my focus right now since I’m in North Idaho.
Big loads of gear, good paddling, fun empty, manors when it’s full, able to handle more weather than I expect to be in and light enough to keep lifting it onto the top of the canopy on my 4x4 are big factors for me.
I have actually thought about the Sitka. I paddled one, and a fathom at a paddle fest this last spring. No room there to do much more than feel them float, but I liked the Sitka also. I do like the 22" width of the Fathom and I plan on renting these at some point and paddling them both empty and loaded down like I was going on a week long trip.
I really love both of those boats and was looking for ideas of other boats worth checking out.
I have seen some of the Ravens for sale recently on Craigslist and seen good deals that have had my wallet shaking in my packet! . Right now I’m not actually looking to buy another boat though since I just bought two in the last month, both of which have characteristics I love, but I’m learning more of what I want in a boat as I go along and plan on spending some hours in a few rental or demo boats to narrow things down. I got a fiberglass one from Canada that I don’t know the make and model of. High volume 17 foot boat that I love. Great empty or loaded… I then bought a Chesapeake 17 that is a blast to paddle, but doesn’t hold what I want for a trip. I like to bring more comforts than it carries and it is definitely a different boat loaded.
Eddyline and Pygmy have the boats that interest me the most right now, but the more I learn the more I want to find out about what else is out there and try some more new things.
So many great boat designs and with the collective knowledge of this board there are people who have paddled many many of them empty, loaded, flat or bumpy water.

Build one, marine plywood core glass, kit, plans or crazy. You invest so much into it that you’ll absolutely claim it is the perfect ONE that sit’s in the garage cuz it’s an heirloom. Good Hunting

A friend strip built a Schade design
. One of the most beautiful kayaks I’ve ever seen. He didn’t like the way it paddled. Last time we visited it was hanging on his den wall.
I have built 2 canoes. One is at a friend’s lake house and the other belongs to the local Boy Scout camp.
Some of us just love building.