Concept II Rowing Ergometer Rower

Man, this bad boy sure takes time to

– Last Updated: Nov-29-05 7:11 PM EST –

...get here from Vermont. How is it coming, by billy goat?

My buyers remorse has done come and gone, and I am settling into a state of unbridled apathy.

Worth of used C2 ?
I have opportunity to purchase a 6-7 yr old C2 that hasn’t been used in last 5 yrs, & very little before that. Not sure of model or condition but latter can’t be bad due to limited use & their sturdy construction.

Haven’t discussed price w/ current owner as yet.

Anyone have an idea of fair price for such a unit ? Thanx.

check e-bay and

– Last Updated: Nov-30-05 10:41 AM EST –

several on-line rowing forums/newsgroups. That should give you decent guidance on the going price range for used C2 ergometers. The model (A-D) will make a difference in its price/value. I received about $625 for my used Model C two years ago, but that is only one reference point.

The billy goat arrived, puttin’ 2gether

I am addicted to my erg

– Last Updated: Dec-04-05 8:39 PM EST –

and would love to see a forum here.

I am rehabbing a shoulder injury and can row/paddle again, but am not competing this season (yet), in the online ranking, but am doing the holiday 100K challenge.

Last year I did the 200k holiday challenge, and logged over 800,000 meters to make it into the one million meter club.

I am a 47 year old light weightwoman and rowed 10K in under an hour last year (47:41.5), if that helps.

Inaugural Row!

– Last Updated: Dec-05-05 7:20 AM EST –

Wow, what a machine. About 15 minutes to put it together, and it's very smooth and quiet. I did for first row ever 2550m in 15 minutes damper 3, and I was pooped. It will takeme a long time to get up to the numbers I am reading on here, and santacruzmidwife and others, your times over a hour are very impressive. I love the fluidity of it, and watched the DVD and want to be like the Oarsmen! Anyhow, this will help me greatly as I plan to log many hours rowing this summer. And, you'll all me happy to know that my wife let me leave it in the family room off to the side as long as I use it every day or two (any less and bang, it goes to the spare bedroom). Now if that ain't motiving I don't know what is. Thanks to those on here that encouraged me to get this machine.

Yes, trilobite, and santacruz midwife... wow, those are great times. SCMW did 10k in under 48 minutes! Oh God! Bionic!

It's day two and I am back on the machine for another quick 15 minute run now while I watch Robin Meade in the morning CNN.

Congrats!

– Last Updated: Dec-05-05 11:56 AM EST –

I am hardly bionic:)

One of the things that has helped me is to have some slower rows where I concentrate on technique, and I use a mirror to check myself. You can also contact some of the coaches online, including Xeno or Marlene at Roylarow, and they can assist via video recordings of your technique. You may also have a local rowing club, and many clubs/coaches use the erg for training.

Making sure your form is good now, will help as you get stronger and row harder, faster and longer. It's worth the investment in time and energy. I agree with Andrew. Keep the damper setting between 3-4 (for most rowing), and your watts at about 115-125, concentrating on using good form and the big muscles.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Pam
proud member of "ducks in a row" on the concept2 site, when not paddling on the water:)

not much to add
congrats on your new machine- they really are fanastic pieces of exercise equipment.

i started pretty much halloween 2003 and have logged somewhere over 3 million meters. that’s decent but hardly spectacular by the standards of the c2 webpage- there are a lot of people with truly impressive totals. the best pieces of advice that i got were to 1) keep the drag factor at 120-30 or so (you probably know what that is by now), 2) learn proper technique even if it means you are slower at first, and 3) concentrate on lots of long slow meters at first (30 min, 10K, hour) rather than worrying lots about speed at first. the standard racing distance is 2k, which is a brutal sprint- you shouldn’t worry about those at first.

there are a number of traning regimens suggested on the c2 site and in the forums.

have fun and keep at it- you will be very impressed with how much it improves your paddling.

andrew

Compulsion
The Concept 2 is certainly that. Went to the Rec Center last night with full intent to do a weight workout, and that machine was just staring at me, alone in the corner; simple, replete of all the high tech flat screen video wizardry that adorn the treadmills and ellipticals surrounding it. Result: 10K in just over 38 min., the times are coming down. I’m sure form is terrible by rower standards, operating on residual seasonal fitness alone, so will have to seek out further video clips, etc. and maybe one day find a real rower who can give a quick (and scathing) critique. I feel more comfortable at a drag setting of 7, so will experiment with the 3-4 range. I imagine it’s like spinning on a bike in that regard, you have to retrain your body to it. Have fun with your new purchase, and fellow compulsive fitness rowers, it’s only the beginning of winter. :wink:

Got mine !
Purchased that used machine I inquired about. It’s a model “C” in great condition & I paid $250 - an early Christmas present for myself & wife.

Not generally a fan of exercise machines but the C2 is an fine exception. Not sure that the motion is sports specific enough to translate to an improvement in my canoe paddling but it’s an excellent full body workout & sure to improve my CV system. Rowed each day since purchase w/ 10K times in 42-43 min range. 38 min is awesome !

$250!!!
you have no idea how lucky you are! i got my used C for $500, which i thought was pretty darn good. your seller was out to lunch- your benefit.

keep at it- i’ve dropped my 10K times from 42-ish to 38:00, and my 2K to 6:58.

a workout i’ve done recently which is “good for laughs”, when you are looking for something more intense, is a 5K warmup at or below your 10K pace, followed by 20 reps of 1 minute full power (2K pace), 30 secs rest, repeat until you drop or 20 reps, whichever happens last.

have fun,

andrew

Andrew ,how’s the 200K holiday
challenge coming? I am doing the 100K this year, as I am just now really getting back into the erg after a rotator cuff injury.

Now, I am hoping to find on the water time, in protected waters for paddling my new ski.

I am baffled by just how addicting this machine is…Tribolite, I have often found myself inextricately pulled to the erg as well:)

lots to go
i’ve been in india the last 8 days or so, back now. was doing some speaking/teaching.

i got in a couple days after thanksgiving, about 21K. will do 10 or 12K today. i think i should be able to get 200K without too much trouble, but i will have to be persistent.

sorry to hear about your shoulder. take care of yourself.

andrew

200K Holiday Challenge

– Last Updated: Dec-06-05 3:25 PM EST –

My PM3 died when I tried to download the latest firmware update the day after Thankgiving. Dang, bad timing. I should have left well enough alone!
C2 expressed a replacement, but I still lost five days. I'm almost back on track. If I row tonight I'll have 100K.

Man 38 minutes for 10K? Wow! I normally average 43-45 for the 10K, which is my favorite piece. I've done a sub 41, but it's been awhile. I don't race so I haven't done intervals in a number of years. I'm not much of a sprinter, so I generally concentrate on fitness/aerobic workouts (8, 10, 15, or 20K) to prep for kayaking or xc skiing.

Concept II Fun Challenge Dec 11-18

– Last Updated: Dec-11-05 9:27 AM EST –

GlenL, you got a fine deal on the C model. You sure that is a Concept II? Maybe it's a Taiwanese knockoff or something? I'm kidding, I know it is a genuine C model CII, and you should be very happy. Okay, with SCMW, and trilobite, and alfope, and others all being very proficient and experienced rowers--and throwing out all your wonderful advice about focusing on rowing technique and not challenges for speed--I offer a speed challenge. Very simple... damper on 4, how far can you row in 30 minutes. I am a newbie, and I know I will be poor, but I will try. I find it amazing that someone above, trilobyte?, rows at resistence 7. Wow. Who wants to post their authentic new thirty minute distance, damper on four? Anytime this week. (today I am going to do a one hour long slow slog, but I have my Nirvana CD out for the actual painful 30 minute row... ready to go).

with a dash of humility
Man you guys can row. Our best thus far has been 5K in 26" at a level seven. (about half way in the level resistance positions) Have done 10K but took a ten minute break at 5K. Over all time spent paddling was 56 some thing.

I was incorrect in stating we had tested Concept II which did not have resistance. The Kettler has a version that resembles the Concept II and that is the one we saw that did not have resistance. Saying how “superior” our First degree water is to Concept II was really not fair and for that I make apologies. I could have said we tried the Concept II, Kettler (have forgotten the model number), and the Water Rower and decided they were a bit too low to the floor for us. We wanted water and even though the First Degree takes up more room than the others we looked at, it was the one for us. We do love our rower and must admit that my enthusiasm can get the best of me.

We are presently rowing average five days each week. Don’t see how we can be competitive with you guys but enjoy the prospect of sharing our improvements as well as having others to set goals we can work toward.

Anyway “Row on Dudes”

30 minutes
8067 meters. your turn. don’t think about the lever as “resistance”- it is more like the “feel” of the boat. many world records are set on very low drag factors (below the 120 I row at). the only thing that matters is the time/500m- i promise!

af

30 mins.

– Last Updated: Dec-11-05 6:43 PM EST –

Well, I can't best Andrew's 30 minute total.
7270 meters
As requested, I used a damper setting of 4, but I normally have it set to 5-6.

My personal best was a 7816, but that was set back in 1997.

Personal data
Weight: Lightweight

resistance and drag factor

– Last Updated: Dec-11-05 4:46 PM EST –

it's sort of difficult to explain, but the lever setting really isn't the resistance. it has more to do with how the flywheel accelerates and decelerates- the best explanation i have received is that it is sort of like rowing a big heavy boat vs a sleek shell. my own sense is that it has to do with whether you try to generate your power with your back and arms (not great form, hard on your back, extremely difficult to maintain over long distances, maybe a tiny bit faster over very short distances) vs generating your power with proper form, explosive leg drive, properly timed layback and arm pull (low drag). to figure out your "drag factor" on the C2 machine, push "rest' and "ok" at the same time, before starting to row. a number will appear in the lower right hand box, after you have rowed a few strokes. ideally, this should be somewhere between about 110 and 135, with lower often being better. i row at df 120, which i do following the advice of some very serious rowers. i know that a higher lever number seems like you are working harder, but you really aren't, just differently and less efficiently.

andrew

listen to andrew, he’s the man
andrew is right…make sure you’re rowing correctly, then just adjust the flywheel to suit your style. I used everything from 3 to 8 and got my best times on 6. You’ll figure it out fast what is best for you. I got my 500m down to 1:27 and my 2000m down to 6:52 before I quit the gym. So no more C2 for me until I can save up to buy one…

ignore the “projected finish” stats as they can change wildly, especially at the beginning. Watch your per/500 stat and spm (personally, I make sure each stroke gets me 10m which helps me keep my proper SPM).