Concept II Rowing Ergometer Rower

6:52!!??!!- curse you red baron!!!
damn, what i wouldn’t give to be young and tall!!!

i have broken 7- 6:58. maybe i’ll try again soon.

af

K-Doke
30 min., level 4. I’ll give it a shot and report back, probably later this week, once the waves of alcohol from back to back holiday parties dissipate. :slight_smile: I tried dropping down on the drag, but find it comfy at 7-8. Used to go at 10 before Andrew advised, so maybe I just need to acclimate. Just received and watched their free technique dvd and already see that my spm is too high at 28-29. That 10 meter per stroke pacing is one I use also to stay on track. Also developing an affinity for the Arc Trainer, when the erg is taken, which feels a lot like cross country skiing.

7min
breaking 7 at all is a great athletic feat for anyone… those guys who do under 6min 2000m are not even human…I’d be lucky to get 7:10 right now probably as my legs have gotten weaker being away from the C2.

I will try my 30 min distance spin

– Last Updated: Dec-12-05 2:16 AM EST –

mid-wek. If it feels awkward at damper setting four, use what you prefer , but four seems to be a good number for distance flying even according to Concept II, plus I was trying to keep it even.... I understand the poinmt about it not actually being resistence, but, I cannot imagine that two rowers--similar or dissimilar in build--have done the same amount of work if they both paddled, say, 5500 meters in 30 minutes, one at damper four, and the other at damper ten. Who, in that situation is most fit, ie did the most physical work (in a physics sense of "work")?

Aside: I bought the little seat pad stick on from CII company, but still my bony butt gets sore and legs starting numb at 30 minutes? Ouch! Ideas? Thanks

they have

– Last Updated: Dec-12-05 6:40 AM EST –

as long as their recorded watts are the same (actually that's power, not work, in the strictest sense, but you get the idea). the c2 is an extremely accurate watt-ometer. all it really does to get pace/500 is to perform a relatively simple calculation. calories is less accurate (but far more accurate than most machines) and assumes you are a 170lb man.

as long as two people (or the same person twice) go the same number of meters in the same time, they will have done the same work. one might have felt harder and been less biomechanically efficient, but it's still the same.

i really can't explain this perfectly. there is a long document available on the c2 webpage that explains why there is no difference in work between the various lever settings. if you go to the c2 forum site and search this topic, you will find endless discussion, all ending in the same conclusion.

andrew

some explanation from erg experts

PaulSMar 31 2005, 12:02 PM

1. What are the 100+ numbers I see getting tossed around? People talk about “120” and “130” settings but I don’t know what that means.

It’s the Drag Factor, plenty of information around on that, just do a search.

2. Is it more difficult to “move” the erg at higher damper settings? I know it takes more power per stroke, but wouldn’t that translate into more motion per stroke as well, like the gears on a bicycle being shifted upwards?

The Pace is a virtual boat speed based on power production for the stroke. Same power per stroke = Same Pace, period. Higher damper settings require no more or less power to produce a pace.

2.5 I’m asking because I see times like 1.34/500m being tossed around on here as good but not insanely phenomenal, and I can’t even conceive of breaking 1.40/500. Like, ever. But I keep the damper at 8 because I like a lot of resistance.

1:34 is not insanely phenomenal (unless you are a lwt woman), and not to worry, it is possible to put just as much force on the handle at damper 1 as damper 10, but this depends on if you can catch the flywheel first to do it. If you think you will be phenominally faster at a low Drag Setting, give it a try for an extended workout, I think you will find that it is not any easier, and may even be harder depending on other factors in your stroke.

3. Do damper settings have any noticeable effect on chain and general erg wear?

Not that I have ever heard of.

4. What damper settings are generally used in competition? As stated, I like my damper set high (others might like it set low) but if that makes a freakish difference in speed (see 2) I might want to try the lower settings if I’m ever going to compete.

Somewhere between 1 and 10, it’s completely up to you.

5. Is a higher damper setting better for muscle-building while a lower is better for straight cardio? I feel more “pull” at the higher setting, but I don’t know if it makes a substantial difference in muscle development or if it’s really just aesthetic.

You could look at it that way, it’s not completely accurate, but it certainly is not a harmful viewpoint.

See what you mean about addictive !
Got 91K meters my 1st week (7x30min & 4x10K)

After seeing Trilobite’s advice about lower spm, tried to drop it down from 31+/- & apply more power but that soon had me way over my AT. Man, the lactic acid was squirting outta my ears! I can cover only 8m/stroke & stay aerobic. It’s a long Winter, though, & hopefully if I stay @ it …

Mama, my fanny hurts.

more on lever setting
here is a link to a discussion i started on lever setting/drag factor and indoor rowing. these people all know a lot more than i do about this. hopefully you will find this helpful.

andrew

http://concept2.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3296&pid=45024&st=0&#entry45024

Sore A__ club?
Well made some adjustments according to some excellent suggestions here and have vastly improved my stroke etc…

Time and distance for today…41" 10K at a level four on my first degree. When I read what some of you guys are doing I did not think I could even get close, so I am feeling pretty good and I thank you.

Thinking one day I can work on toning using a higher resistance and the next day go for the distance at a higher pace.

Seems once you get in the groove of a good pace it is not that difficult to maintain, heck I am not even sore other than that ache in my bottom side.

Not sure if I want to set a weekly distance goal yet, what are most of you doing?

41:00 = 2:03/500m= nice effort
very well done, especially considering you haven’t been at it very long.

as far as distance goes, 10K is my standard workout. i do this 4 or 5 times/week, usually paddling instead on the weekend. a couple times/week i mix up the 10 k by adding speedwork, sets of 1000m sprints, 1 min sprints, fartlek etc. i’m usually happy with any pace below 2:01/500, typically below 1:59, but on my non-speed days I try not to worry too much about this. i had a few months where every one i did was at a hard intensity, and it kind of wore me down after a while.

i shoot for about 1.5 million meters / year.

andrew

Drag Settings
Although last night was a weight workout, at the end I messed about a bit on the erg, just experimenting for 500m at a time on different drag settings. My usual setting is 7-8, but while watching the short technique dvd Concept II sent me, I noted several differences between the style (or lack thereof) I had developed, and what was modeled on the screen as proper form. First, the featured stroke seemed to pause for a moment with the ‘oar’ pulled to the lower chest, leaning back slightly, before returning for the catch. When experimenting with the lower drag setting of 4, I noted this was much, much easier to do-the flywheel had more inertia, thus the spm came down considerably. The higher drag settings force me to speed my return and catch, it seems. This probably effectively shortens the stroke, although it doesn’t feel any different. My timing was way off adjusting to this, but I’ll experiment more with it. Not sure what the drag index is, as this must be a model c(?) machine, lacking in the latest bells and whistles. Secondly, I noted I pull much lower to my body, about navel height rather than below the pec-don’t know why this is. Thirdly, I row open handed, with my hands like hooks, rather than thumbs down around the bar. I was finding a bit of tendinitis cropping up in my elbows with a closed grip, probably due to gripping the handle too tightly. An open hand prevents this-same principle I guess behind opening your hand during the return/catch of the kayak stroke. As for the rear end thing, on longer efforts, lacerations/chafing raw spots have been known to occur, just like in the kayak. Try using padded bicycle shorts, the lycra slides, and the small amount of padding makes a difference.

ouch!

– Last Updated: Dec-13-05 5:35 PM EST –

You guys are going to make me get back on the erg. Personal best time (several years and many pounds ago) was a 6:39, I'm sore just thinking about it. The worst was my 1000m time of 3:09, I had lung burn and was coughing for days.
Remember to change up those work outs, the backwards hours pyramid is fun, 9 min work, 2 min rest, 8 min works, 2 min rest, etc... 45/15's are always fun, makes your heart jump out of your chest, and then we have the 500m on, 500m off, pull the on at a sub 1:40 pace, don't climb too many stairs the next day.

Addendum: 30 Minutes and
8064 meters. As requested, drag level 4. I think I like level 7 better, but I’ll stay at the lower settings, and see if I acclimate. Had to wait for the erg tonight-someone else was actually on it. 'Hope this isn’t a trend. :wink:

Raw, baby, just plain raw.

– Last Updated: Dec-14-05 4:27 AM EST –

That is how I would describe all of your 30 minute numbers, generally 7000-8000 range (no one bested 8100 I see). That is awesome. You all get a gold star. I have yet to try the challenge, likely this weekend. I want my whole family around when I puke on the tile floor. Fun for girls and boys. You know what they say about PMA, positive mental attitude. Michael Jordan used to imagine himself making that winning bucket, that sort of deal. Well... I can envision that I cannot at all get to 7000. How's that for PMA? :)

Thanks for teh link, Andrew. I read, and I don;t know, this damper thing I think is resistence, and there is more of it when I set it at ten. It might be better for some, just like some could climb a hill on theri bike in a bigger gear than another, and the power (work over didtance) is the same, the time is not; Lance Armstring in absolute granny gear is going to have a tough time keeping up with me (and definitely with trilobite2 and alfope!) when we can choose our gear for best efficiency. But, with the bike anyhow, no one would be most efficient at the biggest gear, methinks.

Who knows. All I know is... you know those little slippery pillows that are filled with BB sized foam that are all the rage now... one of them is going under my butt for my next ride.

Skwoosh gel pads
can be purchased online for the erg and they float and are waterproff if you care to use them in your yak.

As a lightweight woman in her late forties, I can’t keep up with the big guys either coolddoctor, but hang in there. You will get so much stronger. I am sure I’ve got that endorphin thing happening with the erg…I had to get on the damn thing after paddling the ski, because it is the holiday challenge:)

30 min TT results
Level (drag) setting = 4

3 min warmup

30 min = 7575 meters

3 min cooldown

Age=57 Heavywt.

Arrives today
Mine arrives today. Used one when I was in cardic rehab after attack and bypass surgery. Was my favorite piece of equipment. Can’t wait to get started.

wednesday report
He: age 54 weight: 240 Height: 6’ resistance 4

10K 40:04 — (8K 31:53)

She: age 35 weight: stocky Height: 5’4" res: 4

5K 21:48 — (hasn’t shot for 10K yet)

Can you spell E-B-A-Y??
One in NJ for $200…like new and includes a laptop.

Wow.

Scott