Convince me to spend money on a new paddle

I tried calling a local outfitter, but all the paddles they had in my size were either too heavy, or high-angle paddles. Not a ton available online either. I am thinking of going for the Aqua Bound Tango Carbon - $400, 23oz. I just need to not think too much about the cost and click the purchase button. I think the weight differential will make a big difference to me.

Werner Kallistia on ebay

Fairly long.

Thanks, but I definitely need something shorter. I did some searching on this site, eBay, craigslist and facebook marketplace for about a week, but couldn’t find anything that matched what I needed.

Just happily clicked “purchase” on the Aqua Bound Tango Carbon!

3 Likes

I’ve found that the manufacturer’s weight specs on kayaks and paddles are often a little optimistic. For paddles, any weight claimed would apply to the shortest version. For example, Werner says the all carbon Camano weighs 25 oz, but I weighed mine at 26.5 oz on a good scale (mine is 220cm). So while the Tango is definitely a very light paddle, don’t be disappointed if it weighs an ounce or two more than claimed.

1 Like

Oh crap - when I ordered, I clicked from the “quick view” screen, and that didn’t indicate it was backordered. But now it appears as though it won’t ship until mid-November. I guess there isn’t too much I can do - it seems like everything I was interested in was either completely not available or back ordered. I guess I will just have to wait…

Or find a GP.

1 Like

Cool enjoy.

I reached out to confirm shipping dates, and they offered me one with ‘cosmetic imperfections’ for 20% off that I can get now. I decided to give it a go. I was willing to buy used, so imagine a small imperfection won’t be a big deal, it’s returnable, and I will be happy to both get it in time to use this season and save some money. I will update once I get it!

6 Likes

That is actually a good bargain. I was thinking of ordering one from them but the November shipping date was a deal breaker. The cosmetic imperfections will increase the first time you hit a rock anyway so may as well save some money.

2 Likes

I bought one of those. Took several paddles for me to find the imperfection. No biggie.

2 Likes

20% off is a good deal, and now you don’t have to worry about putting the first ding in it…

Note that the major manufacturers like Werner can shorten a paddle if you find one that is close but a little long. Costs towards 100 bucks so best to find the right size, but it is an option.

I ask Werner while back they said they couldn’t shorten a CF paddle. Guess they have changed.

Darn! I have been hanging onto Jim’s Cyprus in case. I had a paddle shortened by Epic at one point, also CF, as part of installing a newer thingie for securing the two splits.

And we did have a glass Werner paddle shortened.

I may have been mistaken assuming that Werner could do a CF.

1 Like

If you are going to spend $400 on an Aquabound, I would look into Epic. You would be amazed at how light and durable they are.

Epic is very good quality and light. I have a mid wing.
I would use it more, but it’s a mid wing. More of a greenland guy myself.

Get used to making your own decisions.

I own an Ikelos and a Cyprus that are both cosmetic seconds. I owned another Ikelos before that was also a blem. On the first Ikelos I was never able to find the blemish. Now that I think about it two other Werners I’ve had were blems. Damn…I’ve never had a first-quality Werner and they all worked great.

Determining the right length paddle from an existing one is fairly easy. First be sure that you are performing a forward paddle stroke correctly. Look online or ask another competent paddler.

Get out on the water with the paddle that you already have and paddle long enough with a forward stroke that the part of the paddle that is not going into the water dries off. This is best done on flat water. Consistently use either a high or low angle stroke, whatever you prefer. There’s no law that says that you have to paddle in accordance with how the paddle was designed to be used, but matching your style to the paddle is most efficient. Wing paddles are generally designed to be used as high angle paddles, but the majority of the people I know use them with a low angle style.

Measure the distance from the waterline mark on your paddle to where the blade starts. Adding or subtracting this distance from the length of your paddle will tell you what the length of the paddle should be. You want that waterline right at the place where the blade begins so that for the majority of your forward stroke, the full length of the blade is in the water. No more and no less for maximum efficiency. The paddle should not be hitting the side of the boat. If it is you either need a longer paddle or you need to check your paddling technique.

For reasons that I have never understood, many shops sell paddles that are too long. Proper paddle length will vary with the physical dimensions of the paddler and the boat as well as paddling style. A high angle style generally requires a shorter paddle. The majority of paddlers use a low angle style if not into performance paddling.

1 Like

Remember, with 2 blades to add/subtract twice this distance.