Convince me to spend money on a new paddle

I just went thru this length thing but in the opposite direction. I took a slightly different approach I don’t know if this is right or wrong or if my stroke is right or wrong but it is where I’m at now. Not sure if the fact I’m paddling a tandem canoe as a solo with the seat moved to the center.

I had a 230cm paddle and was hitting the gunwales when my stroke felt correct and when I would force myself to miss them the stroke felt less shallow than what I like.

So I went out with my 230cm and a couple pieces of tape and marked the center and then marked 2 new centers when I shifted the paddle over to make it longer on the end I was using. Of course I was shifting back and forth but it was simulating the amount longer I needed the paddle. My paddle is a cheap two piece so I made an extension piece that clips in like the paddle goes together. I repositioned the hand grips and tried it out 260cm is my magic number. The extension works fine and you couldn’t tell it was now 3 pieces and the plan is to buy a better paddle next year and by then I will know what I think completely of the new length. If anything with the longer lever arm my blade area may need to be smaller. So far I don’t find it too large though.

It is simple to try out a shorter or longer length just shift the paddle off center. :canoe:

Life is short, if you like kayaking, get a good paddle. I have the Sawyer Orca Vlam crankshaft and love it. Sawyer Orca V-Lam Kayak Paddle. I’ve had it over 15 years, every once in awhile I give it a light sanding with synthetic steel wool, wipe it down and then recoat with Marine varnish. Looks like new!

The shaft helps with wrist, arm and hand fatigue. Plus it is LIGHT. It appears they are all backordered through Aug, 16, 2021, so you have some time to consider it.

Spend more, get the lightest paddle you can afford. And if you are 4’11", that 230cm paddle is way too long for you! As others have said, 210 or 205 will fit you better.

As to weight, if you save 8 oz. on your next paddle, every two strikes you are lifting 1 lb. Consider how many strokes you do in an outing, maybe 2000 to 4000. Shaving 8 oz. means you lift 1 to 2 tons less. A lighter paddle will save even more!

Jyak
Paddles are very personal. The type depend as much on paddling style as how much time you spend in a boat and how rough your paddling area is (you don’t want to use a $450 carbon paddle to negotiate a rocky river, and you definitely don’t want to fight heavy waves for 30 miles using an aluminum paddle designed for a pizza oven).
My first paddle was a 220 cm Carlisle with fiberglass blades and shaft. It’s a really nice paddle for the price but was too short. The Acqua paddles, such as the Manta Ray and Sting Ray are very nice paddles for the money. I’m a strong paddler and initially preferred the biggest blade I could find. A distance paddler recommended a thinner blade touring paddle and a low angle stroke. High angle uses your shoulder and is a bit more anerobic. Low angle uses your core as you lock your elbows with arms held out and rotate at your waist. The key to low angle with a thinner blade is higher cadence and aerobic exertion.
My left rotator cuff was destroyed two years ago; two of four tendons are still detatched and I can’t lift my arm above level. Low angle lets me rotate without relying on the rotator cuff or shoulder strength. The goal is 60 to 70 strokes per minute. Trying to get others to replicate the action is very hard. Most people are intent on reaching out, dragging the paddle through water and plunging down the other side. It’s inefficient, creates drag at entry and exit, causes cavitation (you can feel the bubbles rolling off the blade), and takes a lot of energy which is only available in a finite amount. Aerobic is the goal.
The best explanation I can give is to lock you arms at shoulder width. Imagine rocking a baby. As you rock the baby from left to right, dip tbe baby until your reach the end of your rotation then dip toward the other side as you rotate the other direction. The motion is rhythmic without punching and dragging at the water. The blade enters and exits the water smoothly. There is far less trauma to your joints, you arms aren’t lifting the paddle up and down (a paddle with heavy swing weight will wear you out on a long trip). If my math is right, 60 stroke per minute for one hour is 216,000 lifts. Compound that by raising the blade above your head n high angle style rather than to head level. An experienced vs. inexperience paddler can be seen from a mile away; at that distance, the inexperience paddler is jabbing the air like a cheer leader waving pom poms. The ultimate aerobic style is the Greenland Paddle.
As mentioned above, I started with a 220 cm Carlisle, then to a high angle 240 cm Aqua plastic blade, then a carbon blade. I upgraded to a high angle Werner Camano, then one with a touring blade. When I started doing trips longer than 20 miles, Dave at Annapolis Kayak convinced me to try the Werner Kalliste touring blade. Fantastic foam filled carbon paddle, light as a feather. Compare the rear surface to the Camano and the Kalliste looks like a jet wing that slides through water like a hot knife through butter. One day it locked up and wouldn’t come apart. The shop returned it to Werner for warranty repair. I ordered a 250 cm Kalliste and used tbe Camano for a month. When the 250 cm came in, the superiority of the Kalliste design was instantly apparent to me.
But a paddle is a paddle. My nephew has tried all of my paddles. He still loves his Aqua Manta Ray. I respect that. I’ve seen paddlers with 17 foot Kevlar boats using $139 plastic bladed paddles and are totally happy. Paddles are personal things.

Ok - here to report back. I got my new paddle - Aqua Bound Carbon Tango - 210cm - and…I love it! So glad you all convinced me to go for it rather than a more modest upgrade. When the box arrived it was so light I thought they forgot to put the paddle in the box. (And whatever imperfection caused them to label it a ‘second’ was unnoticeable to me.) I used it for the first time this weekend, and it made a big difference in how tired my shoulders felt after a few hours. So thanks again for all the input and advice here!

7 Likes

At it’s best this is what this site is about. It’s good to hear back, and know it made a difference for you. As someone here often says “Paddle On!”

2 Likes

I’m glad you got it. One maybe suggestion. If your shoulders are tired it could mean your stroke needs some correction.
I have a damaged shoulder that tires easily but if I focus on rotation and using my abs, the shoulder lasts longer.
Abs cramps are not fun in a boat, but you know you’re using the right muscles.

Awesome!

I need to perfect that method.

Really?

I’ve heard of this technique before as an exercise to enforce torso rotation, but can you really paddle like this?

I know I need to rotate more. I think I’m already doing it enough, almost exaggerated at times, but at the end of the day my arms are tired, which means I’m not using my torso enough and I’m using my arms too much. (Note, I use a Greenland if that matters)

1 Like

You have a ton of opportunities in your neighborhood by way of Waters Edge Kayak Group and Chesapeake Paddling Assoc. both can be found on Meetup and FB.

Go paddle. Ask to try new gear. Have fun.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: [www.the-river-connection.com]
Store: [www.the-river-connection.us]
Facebook: [Redirecting...]
Instagram: Instagram.com/marshall.seddon

Jyak
To Not the Painter. Absolutely yes, it works, but you will note, I added, “it is very hard to teach”. Many paddlers try to drive the kayak forward by paddling the boat - go figure.
First time I paddled a 9 ft kayak: Reach as far as possible, jab the paddle into the water, pull back hard and recover, then jab on the other side. Each motion a separate start/stop action that used energy to execute and more energy to recover. It cause muscle and joint shock, exacerbated by reaching beyond the arch of efficiency.
Energy is wasted by over-reaching; jabbing the blade into the slipstream blunts momentum; dragging it back creates cavitation and flutter as water dumps from the blade; flutter cause an unconscious tightening of the grip. If you watch distant paddlers, it’s almost universal - five to ten strokes, sit and rest, repeat - it brings up painful memories. Intense!
While in physical therapy durimg 2018 for the torn rotator cuff and two detached tendons, I was worried about how to compensate for the damaged shoulder. I asked the therapist for exercises to help me return to kayaking. When he demonstrated some exercises, I told him that won’t help. He looked puzzled and said show me how you paddle. While demonstrating, I realized my shoulder was in isometric tension, and I wasn’t moving the shoulder joint, so I said, never mind, I don’t need a rotator cuff to kayak.
Proof is that I resumed kayaking last month and have been on eleven trips since then. After a painfully slow start, I now manage sustained speeds of between 4.6 and 5.2 mph for several miles, and have hit max bursts of 6.2 mph. The longest trip since then is 20.69 miles, but it took over seven hours; I used to cover that in 4 hrs 20 minutes. The paddling technique does work. It has never caused soreness in my waist, back, or abdomen, ever. I also had back issues in 1996, but none since, and I’ve been kayaking since around 2006.
My paddling technique improved over the years by watching videos, reading articles on the internet, reviewing forums, and by talking to experienced paddlers at good kayak shops. A Garmin Colorado GPS helped me to polish paddling efficiency because it registers every action, every twist of the blade and how that stroke affects speed; it shows how fast speed bleeds off after a stroke; it also show the effect of current and wind on speed (ex: waves from behind do not always equate to higher average speed). I used the GPS to verify which paddle techniques work best for each condition. It’s important to point out, the techinque I described isn’t exclusive. I still do everything from over-reaching, even manage some high angle and employ every muscle that hasn’t gotten sore, but swinging from the waist is still the primary method.
Paddling is like pushing a merry-go-round, or shifting to a lower gear on a bike (or how far you inset the paddle blade). Just get the boat moving and build on it as you pick up cadence. The momentum keeps the boat gliding forward, as each stroke becomes easier, until you reach the “Hull Speed” of the boat (the speed where a “displacement hull” gets trapped in a trough and has to climb out of the bow wave). The longer and narrower the boat, the faster its speed potential; however, the greater the wetted surface, the bigger your engine has to be, or the better your stroke.
The human engine will develop both strength and efficiency. While the boat sets the limit of speed, your body provides the power, your paddling techinque determines the efficiency of power delivery. You have a finite amount of energy when you climb in that boat. When the energy stores are depleted, you hit the wall, bonk, run out of gas, blow up - paddle two strokes and drop, two and drop. I’ve been there and been with others who have. Lean the engine to get the most mileage. You can’t replace energy reserves with sports drinks, power gel, or bananas (read glycogen window for more info).
Find the spot where you can drive the boat at an aerobic pace; your breathing let’s you know when you go anerobic. High angle tends to be more anerobic; low angle aerobic and catches less wind (maybe). I don’t feather my blade, because I want the swing to be rythmic and automatic. Rock the baby - paddle dips, then pops out of the water as you sway to the other side (aided by a foam filled blade that is more buoyant - really? Yes, if it helps you feel like it’s working, maybe).
Reading between the lines is the answer to high/low angle, how light should my paddle be, but the better question is how efficient is the blade! Does it create drag/cavitation, which is more critical than weight. When you test a blade, pay attention to how quietly it slips in/out of the water; hold it with a light grip to see if it flutters in your hand; sense whether it creates bubble and turbulence when forced faster; see how it reacts when the blade is plunged deep, feathered or just skimming the water partially submerged. High cadence of 60 to 70 strokes per minute means you can’t always bury the blade. A rhythmic high cadence motion catches the water as it moves past, exerting slightly more pressure before slipping out and repeating on the other side.
(I saw a comment regarding cadence at 60 strokes per minute and checked my math. Sorry for a gross error. 60 strokes per minute X 60 minutes = 3,600 lifts per hour, that’s 60 times less than I stated. Thanks to the contributor for checking my math. That’s what’s great about forums. Also sorry about the length of my post. It’s hard to demonstrate the technique, even more so to describe, but keep at it. Once you get it, you’ll wonder why you haven’t done it all along).

Yes, really. It’s how I paddle. When I first started paddling with my abs, it made a huge difference in the power of my strokes and how long I could paddle without tiring. I use a Greenland paddle in my sea kayak, and a (what’s a non-Greenland paddle called?) in my whitewater boat. I’ve been working on using my core more effectively when I SUP. It’s the same concept, very different execution.

Jyak
NotThePainter. I would like to know more about Greenland Paddles. Never met anyone who can tell me how they perform on a measured distance, or by GPS against a modern paddle.

It’s called a Euro paddle (though maybe with a whitewater boat it’s just called a whitewater paddle??) I also love my Greenland paddle and find it much easier to sustain paddling over a longer distance.

I’m not trying to go as fast as possible, but when I first got my GP my spouse was faster using the Euro. Now, however, I have no trouble keeping up. And whenever I paddle in a mixed group of Euro and GP users there does not seem to be any paddle-related pattern to who is straggling and who is powering ahead. Just anecdotal observation.

For WW paddling, it might just be called a paddle! I have a nice very light CF Werner bent shaft paddle for WW. I think it would work well for a sea kayak, too, but haven’t tried. When I bought my Rockpool, a local friend was selling a Greenland paddle (also carbon fiber) and offered to let me try it out. I don’t even know if it’s the right length for me, but I bought it, and just love using that paddle. My SUP paddle is crap, though. I need to remedy that but I keep going back and forth on the length I want.

I know several distance paddlers who paddle up to 30 miles per day and use GP. The real serious ones use CF Gearlabs.

Maybe the Amish would call a non-Greenland paddle an English paddle.

I’m curious if anyone has kept time on the cadence using a Greenland.