Convince me to spend money on a new paddle

I can’t imagine the novel you would of wrote to explain that. Good information. :+1:

challenge accepted.

Interesting. It sounds like what you are creating is similar to an Aleutian style traditional paddle and appropriate to your situation. My understanding is that these were used to paddle the wider and deeper hulled cargo carrying baidarka and umiak boats (Greenland blades being for narrower and lower profile solo hunting kayaks). The swing weight of the longer shaft necessary to clear the high and wide gunwales was offset by having a shorter but slightly wider blade area than the GP.

The paddles that were included for years with folding kayaks like Klepper and Folbot (which tended to be deep and beamy) were also long shafted with short blades.

Correction: Actually, looking into current information on Aleutian paddles, the accepted design now is similar to a GP in being a long tapered blade, un shouldered with a somewhat longer loom, overall longer paddle and with a characteristic reinforcing rib on the back of the blade that changes the paddle performance in the water.

There were shorter and wider stubby-bladed paddles used with those traditional cargo boats among NW coast and Alaskan natives but those are no longer categorized as Aleutian . I tend to get my info on traditional boats from my archaeology and anthropology sources (like the Polar World collection at Pittsburgh’s Carnegie Museum of Natural History) so forgive the erroneous description.

There are quite a few makers of Aleutian style paddles and articles on them to be found. Interesting paddles!

1 Like

I love this! What a lucky daughter.

1 Like

Yes that’s pretty much what I’m doing. I was thinking making the blade narrower, but if I understand you are suggesting shorter. Keep in mind I’m starting with a euro blade shape.

Agreed! Roym’s paddles are amazing aesthetically and I imagine they’d be similarly amazing to paddle with.

Raosborne. I responded about the How to Build a Greenland Paddle on the Werner vs Aqua by mistake and spell check changed you name. I liked the video. When he pulled out the club, I was initially shocked until he explained it was a $3.00 2x4 that he used to practice. Good start, but I can’t find part 2. Looking for it, I came upon Joe O’Paddle making laminate paddles and explaining sizing. Curious if anyone has seen or has comment. I have so many questions, I wonder if this topic would be better on a specific thread, but I don’t know if I can start one being new to the forum

Willowleaf, that’s my thoughts after hearing from so many GP users. I was suggested a link to making paddles. I started watching other videos, and I went from a doubter to a convert. Everyone helped me to cut through misconceptions about GP design. I have a winter project now to make a functional blade. No way I’d ever let those art pieces touch water. Talented craft skills, and the fact that many do use those paddles attests to the skill at being able to replicate another one. Impressive!

No worries about the spelling.

There were many videos in that thread as he progressed through the first paddle and then started the second paddle. Many of us are really enjoying those videos. Can’t wait for the next installment @NotThePainter.

It also made me want to make a Greenland paddle for myself. I will, I will, I just need more time.

Since I am also new to this forum I have not had time to look at all of the older threads, but I think I saw the laminate paddle making one, when I did a search. I should probably look more…

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning my video series, but really, if you want to make one, just buy Brian’s book and use power tools. :- )

Ditto

1 Like

Had a chance to try an Alut At Qajaq Training Camp one year. It had a very different feel than my GP.

I’m suprised to hear you’re new to the forum rasosborne. And to NotThePainter, many thanks. While looking for part 2, I found Joe O’Paddle, parts 1-4. Excellent work. He gave a thorough explanation of paddle sizing, both canoe and GP. For the GP, I have to trust his measuring process, unless I find some formula that works for me. I don’t question his canoe paddle formula, but I have other preferences that I wouldn’t suggest.

I like long canoe paddles. Period. I dig deep and hard, then rudder guide as needed. My first rec kayak was an afterthough when I bought a 16 ft Royalex OldTown? The kayak was intended in the event a third person wanted to tag along. I didn’t like closed cockpits, after I tried out my brother’s white white water yak. That had my two brother hacking while sitting in the safety of a 17 ft aluminum Grumman canoe. What a sled, but we drove it like a bull with a huge teardrop homemade Ash (yes Ash) pizza paddle. We didn’t care about no steenkeng weight. He won a canoe race in Baltimore Harbor using it and it was stolen out of the canoe while he collected his prize.

As you know, at least the WW kayaks I’ve seen, have rounded bottoms, no keel. With no clue about body English control, paddling one side spun me to point north, the other side pointed me south. Suprised it wasn’t red in front, white in back. To add insult to insane, somehow it turned upside down. There I was, unafraid, but uodidedown and stuck. OK, roll, swish, bonk, zip splash. OK how do you stop when you get upright. Need to take . . . a breath, swish paddle, head clear of water. Fill lungs, go back to the thinking position, hanging like a bat. I think I crossed my arms, scratched my head. If my brother could do this, I should figure it out. Five minutes later, I’m making no progress, and as long as my head keeps popping up like a turtle, no assistance from the loving kin. Ah could had died. They went home and they told poor dear Mother Jyak that her favorite son almost drowndeded- Jiminy. Maybe you had to be there, but I overcame my fear of closed spaces, sleep with the light off, but still prefer to shower and have no desire to learn how to roll a kayak.

Anyway, I had some observation and hints that may be obvious to some, but it might help with tool substitution if certain tools are unavailabe.

Also liked paddledog52’s video recommendation. I don’t feather, but it was so convincing, I’m going to explain how to set it up if anyone asks about feathering. I used to say, “I don’t care about no steenken wind!” Now I know it ain’t about the wind. I hate telling people not to do something because I don’t.

Likes/dislikes on Alut?

I have a beautiful Aleut, about 4" longer than my GP. I bought it in the hopes that it would lessen the strain on my arthritic left shoulder. After about 4 day trips I haven’t discovered any shoulder relief. It seems to be a fine paddle, but not a miracle worker. I plan to sell it and try the Nimbus Quill.

There is a webinar tomorrow (Fruday 8/6) introducing features and techniques of Greenland paddles from the Trak folding kayak company. I was sent the link by Paulo Ouellet, a paddling coach in the PNW who produces instruction info under the title “Dancing with the Sea”.

That said, I am a little unclear from the Trak site as to when this specific event will occur (the free Zoom kectures are Fridays at 3:30 EST.)

Paulo does charge for access to his own more intensive training video series on GPs, rolling and open water skills but they are quite good. He does have more basic overview videos on YouTube.

You’re welcome!

Here’s the playlist with all the videos.

You want to watch the Introduction and then skip to Episode 11. 1-10 show a lot of mistakes. :- )

Arthritis, BAH! All I hope is that I’m not exacerbating it. Left shoulder as well. I’m loosing range of motion. I think its locking up. My daughter and son-in-law are physical therapists. Last time she worked on me I cried like a spoiled child, but it time for a tune up.

Don’t think I’ll make the seminars, but I think I’ll look up the topics. They intrigue me.

Glad to see the rest of the Paddle tutorial. Will probably watch everything. Can’t hurt.

All this and some Youtube vids decided me to buy an otter tail paddle. Took it on a run on a solo in a 15’ Old Town on the Fisher River in NC to compare with the Norse I’ve used for a score or more of years. The first strokes told me it was a big mistake. So I went back to the Norse. But when some quiet water appeared, I gave it another chance. Not so bad. And I stayed with it into some of the normal little Class I stuff. When I heard more noise approaching, I picked up the Norse and my mind screamed, “Who filled the shaft with concrete?” So I returned to the otter tail. It is a fine paddle. It is light and transfers my strokes to the result I want.
The Norse will remain idle until I plan a run that requires its mighty abilities.
So, I found I had been using a Mack truck where a Miata was the answer. Bottom line, if you are thinking about a new paddle, give it a try, your subconscious body is giving you a message.