Demystifying Stability ???????

13 Foot SOF
To follow up about all the nameless paddlers out there doing “interesting” paddles; I wonder how many in this thread know who took a 13 foot, plumb bowed, 25# SOF the length of the west side of Vancover Island. Good boats and good paddlers come in great variety.

ha
I’d buy that

outside of lone landmass on the northwest pacific.

I’ve heard tofino is a great surf spot, is it doable?

Yes
Cox Bay, Chesterman’s, Long beach. Usually always surf.

even in summer?

what race and teams?
Are you referring to groups that paddled around South Georgia Island? Or some other event?

Just wondering
if you have had a chance to take your Tiderace out on the ocean yet?

Seems like every kayak has it’s pros and cons.

I like to test them myself, and make decisions based on my priorities.

Open Canoe
Remember, you can’t even get into the new BCU star system unless you also paddle an open canoe. I guess the BCU must think an open canoe is best.

You bet.

"surpassingly paddler specific"
Ah, the underlying current of truth resurfaces.

I’m a kayaker…
…stability is overrated.

Most of us are completely nuts.

Except for g2d. He’s just your garden variety loony, if your garden consists of crabgrass and nettles.

Why didn’t you come to the Cheat, Gary.

hmmm
schemes summer trip to seattle for next year with road trip to tofino.

dude
I been telling you for years that the NW coast has surf!

steve

gear
I agree completely. As I always tell my students “if you are unsuccessful with any skill, first blame your gear, then your coach, and finally you can blame your parents for bad genetics”

FALCON

stability
Right on Lee!! Stability is not a design feature, it is the result of a design feature.

Falcon

Isn’t “kit” the new word :slight_smile:

My Youngest Son Headed to Olympia
My son Isaac is in Olympia today choosing his classes for Fall semester. He hates the ocean but maybe some young pretty thing will convert him while he is up there.

I of course plan on visiting a couple of times a year.

Oly
is a ways to the ocean proper but close to Puget Sound. Pretty mellow paddling ops abound but it IS salt water.

A few miles out to the coast and the doors really open!

steve

Does “kit” include the boat?
Having been born and reared on this side of the pond, my familiarity with the term ‘kit’ for gear came later in life and as a result of time with British coaches.

I hadn’t heard the boat itself referred to a part of ones kit.

yes
yes evidently quite the deal

smoke and mirrors smoke and mirrors

– Last Updated: May-09-09 8:58 AM EST –

Fantastic thread! Holy smoke Batman!

Reminds me of a huge day when training with my coach. I was definitely in the stage Falcon was describing, blame the equipment, boat, coach and finally my genetics.

Coach looks at me while he is calmly handling the massive conditions and keeping an eye on me and everyone else and says in his dry and humorous way

"It is all smoke and mirrors. Just imagine it is flat and calm out right now. It is all smoke and mirrors that it is rough out here. Just paddle. Don't think!"

I am just about capsizing with every wave set. I say to myself, OK, paddle on. I never capsized, despite having a raging headache from forgetting my sunglasses. It was a day I will never forget.