Does it bother anyone else...

What he said!^^
Luke, thanks for taking the time to join the conversation. That kind of boat isn’t for me but all the best with it!

Luke

P.S. cool name!

LOL
Thanks for the link (LOL)!

I’m wid ya!
I really do hope to see these things on the water. I’ll overlook the garish colors if it means the owners get a chance to see what fun a solo canoe with a good shape can be, and the practicality vs rec kayaks. Then just maybe we’ll see an increase in availability of decent solo canoes. (dreaming here, maybe).

Yep. thanks.
Maybe you should be the one to re-write the ad copy. If the boat weighs 55lbs, please don’t say it weighs 49 (forgetting to mention that is without seat). If it’s a new spin on an old design or concept, don’t try to make it sound like it’s a whole new idea you just came up with.

Then maybe you won’t get so much sniping from the audience.

I think the Next should sell on it’s own merits, if it’s as good as you say (which it looks like to me).

Me too
I think it is great that he weighed in and I wish them well with the boat. We need more canoes - even if they are paddled with a double bladed paddle.

thank you for a well thought out
response. I agree you should try a boat (and seat) before passing judgement on it and we know that different folks like different boats (as well as different strokes). Some day I hope to demo the “next” best thing. I must confess I’ve never paddled a “pack” canoe but even I know they have a fine heritage.

When I think of a pack canoe the image of Nessmuk pops up in my brain. Bright colors and poly doesn’t exactly fit the image of Sears paddling reverently to his next camp but like Sears, Old Town, is a master of self promotion. Perhaps the “next” will fill a lasting niche in an already crowded boat market.

What I really want to know is if you’ve thrown the “next” off the roof yet? How did the triple poly hold up?

I hope…

– Last Updated: Oct-03-14 2:13 PM EST –

I hope to see a used/like new Next; (used twice on a lily dippers lake)available on local CL for half price or less, with like new paddle, and pfd thrown in for free. Maybe Fall/Winter of next year?

I might buy it, put in a wood/cane seat or a saddle, mess with it a few times, and then pass it on to my better half. Build up a lot of good will for use at later date; if she likes it?

Might happen.......

BOB

PS Ignore wildernesswebb; he is a notorious pnet troller, rabble rouser, provocateur, and shi- disturber. He's got a commie flag tacked up in his garage........

Well Bob, as you know,
ya gotta watch them Missourians.

But, royalex is no longer available,
so comparing to a royalex boat isn’t quite apples to apples.

But, my royalex Bell Yellowstone Solo weighs 49lbs with vinyl gunwales.

Haven’t you seen the banner ad?
It seems to me that they have bought a lot of advertising space here on p.net.

Also, it only makes sense for a manufacturer rep to reply to questions about or incorrect information about their product when it’s brought up in discussion.

Yes, apples to oranges
also applies to any comparison to lightweight composites. So, while we may take exception to the hype, IMO we shouldn’t be so critical of the boat itself.

That’s me!
“50+ year-olds post rotator cuff surgery,”

But I still have a 45+ lb solo and 75+ lb tandem

I couldn’t bear to put one of those beautiful Placid Boats on a rocky ozark stream!

I Don’t Even HAVE A Garage…

– Last Updated: Oct-03-14 6:23 PM EST –

....you can call home and ask my wife (LOL)!

LAST
is most important. RapidFire is my first pack canoe and my last. Quite comfy on those mile and a half portages even for a pensioner.

NEXT alludes to you’re just wasting money in the long run… I think that boat is for the market that is just dabbling for the summer. Not a good investment.

Thanks Joe

In the middle of all others having fun paddling their computer I was paddling RapidFire on Allagash Lake for three colorful days.

I liked your reply above…
I’m darned glad to see ANY new solo canoe, and especially solos made of materials that aren’t too expensive and that hold up well on the kind of rivers I paddle. I get heartily sick of the plethora of kayaks, and all the fishing kayaks and crossovers made for people who don’t really know they’d like a canoe better than a kayak. Not that I think I might need another good solo anytime soon. I’m 62 years old so I don’t know how many more decades I’ll be paddling, and I have two Royalex Wenonah Vagabonds, a Sandpiper, and three old Oscoda glass solos. But it would still be cool to have a choice to buy something that’s quiet, very light in weight, and might paddle better than what I have.

Luke - thank you for commenting
While I am not in the market for a pack canoe, I’ve been following this thread and appreciate your taking the time to address the comments and questions. My two favored kayaks are my Necky Manitous (13 & 14), and I own gear from all your paddling companies.

Thank you for producing fantastic gear for all markets and price ranges.

Adrian

Hmmm…
“Does it bother anyone else …that Old Town is calling the “Next” part kayak and part canoe?”

Can’t say I’m bothered in the least.

Perception used the same
term back in the '80s with the Keowee.

For such a short boat it had a huge cockpit.

No concern whatsoever.

I like it better than . . .
. . . a rec kayak for new entrants into the sport. The open hull is more versatile and light for paddling protected waters than a decked hull.

The NEXT has a swedeform waterline, which I prefer:

http://stwww.canoekayak.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Kayu_Top_Orange_thin.jpg

I bet it paddles pretty well.

It’s surely strong enough to drag along concrete boat ramps, over boulders and along the driveway.

If it sells for $999, maybe it can be had occasionally on 20% off sales at big vendors.

It is inarguable, of course, that orange is the only rational color choice.

Bitter?
Where’s all the bitterness coming from? I don’t understand this thread’s climate at all… Feels like I’m reading an MMA forum thread.

I have no affiliation to OT or this new boat, but I am considering getting the Next. GASP! I’m not a novice…WHAT? I just had rotator cuff surgery in June. HUH? Why the heck would I support these dirty, poopy exaggerators??

Because they ARE offering something no one else does. Or has, at least in recent years. A viable solo craft, with dimensions close to that of a Placid model, other than weight. And It’s $1000!! Plus, it’s going to be available to look at, touch, and test paddle before buying. In the Maritime Provinces, there’s no other solo canoes - none - that you can actually see before purchasing. Each shop has the same problem. They can carry Swift or Clipper boats, but they can’t get them to Nova Scotia without losing at least a couple to shipping damage. Plus the market for solo canoes out here is pretty much dead, or converted to kayaks. If they were to bring a boat in on special order, it would come in a separate shipment, which increases the likelihood of shipping damage. Pretty risky. Not to mention shipping is expensive.

SO, thanks to Old Town for the offering. I won’t run out and buy one just yet, but will try and get in one this spring and see how they paddle. If they’re as good as you say, I’ll probably pick one up. Unless, that is, someone starts to carry a few solo canoes out here, and they can sell them for under $1500.

IF I was back in Manitoba, Sask, or Ontario, I’d have some options, even in the used market. But I’m not.

JTJ