Does You Yak Have a Name?

Remember what? :wink:
We had a few mini-woodstocks out at Red Rocks back then. I was camping with a bunch of friends from that era on the day that Jerry Garcia died. I remember the memorial that grew on the fender of the old school bus that they tell me was not a school bus, but a Ryder truck that was rented to haul support gear to the camp. It probably was, but my mind still wants to see an old school bus.

Taj

Just Joking!
Hey Bruce! I was just joking around.

Actually only a few people I know have actually named their Kayak. A friend of mine has named his ā€œThe other womanā€ :slight_smile:

Happy Paddling!

Pumpkin Rocket
My orange CD Storm is dubbed Pumpkin Rocket, not on vessel, only in speech.

Brian

Soflo

Maybe Iā€™m a grumpā€¦
but I think itā€™s silly to name a paddle-craft. My sailboat has a name but the others are simply a canoe, a kayak, etc. etc. I refer to them by their modelā€¦ Penobscot. Chesapeake. etc.

Painting a name on a canoe or kayak? Go for it if it blows your hair back. Iā€™ll be polite.

Hey Bill
I know you were joking. It was actually pretty funny. A name just hasnā€™t come to me yet.

How about the ā€œMango Marauderā€ for a mango Prijon?

tjohanss
The banana peels fell into the water and you didnā€™t do anything about it? Would if everybodyā€™s dream banana peels fell into the water and became yellow submarines? Huh? It would be a mess, Iā€™m tellinā€™ ya. If you bring it into your dream, well, by golly, you ought to cart it out with you.

Um, far out, man
The little guys in the silver space ship said that I could go back and collect them. Maybe I could sell them for more gas money.

Taj

My kayak is "my Yacht"
My kayak is to me, what a yacht is to someone who wants to, and can affort to, own one.

So to me, naming my kayak, seems no more silly than naming a yacht, or a sailboat if you please.

As my kayak, is ā€œmy yachtā€, I wanted to name it.

Thank you for ā€œbeing politeā€.

Happy paddling!

My newest boat
It is dolphin grey. I am thinking about calling it Flipper but I am worried that name might scare off a new potential paddlers thinking that I regularlly roll the thing over.

No Name
but a decal on both sides of the bow of a barracuda.

Wow
Incredible,I donā€™t see a problem with people naming their kayaksā€¦even though they are just a ā€œpaddling craftā€¦ā€ seems they are still a watercraft no lessā€¦just like a ā€œsailboatā€ or a 60 foot gas hog.

Wow back
I donā€™t see a problem with itā€¦ Just kind of silly to me. Fine by me if you name yours.

All 3 have namesā€“naming is fun!
First to get named was the wood kayak I built, called INDIAN SUMMER for the time when I started the build. I should have named it the Endless Summer, because it took me way too long to finish! (I was going to name it the Holy Roller, but fear of having the first word come true prevented me from doing so.)

Second to get named was a used Prijon Twister SOT, a well-scratched aquamarine plastic wedge. I printed the words BLUE MANATEE on the bottom so nobody would steal it. When I view the hull bottom, that is exactly what it reminds me of.

Last, but not least, I just named my new Tempest 165 the DEVIL DUCKIE for what I think might be its secret self. I have a bathroom tile applique to put on the deckā€¦no words necessary!

Beachcomber III
and it is done with adhesive backed vinyl.

Yes, and itā€™s not even finished yet
Mine will be named ā€˜Patienceā€™ since itā€™s waited so long for me to get 'er done. Itā€™s a Pygmy Coho that I started on over a year & 1/2 ago. Iā€™ve worked on 'er bit-by-bit through the birth of my daughter, a major remodel and many and varied other things that took precedence over building time. The name is printed onto vellum (like rice paper) will be epoxied to the cockpit recess. The vellum virtually disappears when saturated with epoxy.

Barracuda Decals?
Where can I get some?

All mine have names

ā€“ Last Updated: Jun-22-05 8:35 PM EST ā€“

My Perception Shadow was named Arielle (feminization of Ariel from The Tempest), mostly because she weathercocked like crazy. My Currituck had two names for awhile - Sa-weet (my first words when I demoed it)and Spring Peeper. I settled on Sa-weet because Spring Peeper sounded vaguely perverted, but I still have frog stickers all over it. My husband's yellow Currituck is Banannahala, and his Perception Sea Lion I named Occam, because it cut thru the waves like a, well, you know. I still have to ponder on a name for my Night Hawk. My husband suggested Eddie, but I'm not too sure about that.
None of our boats are labeled with these crazy names.

Twisted Utopia
Is what I call my Hurricane Aquasports Tracer and each time I have to lift it I call it Heaven

The Escape Pod
is the name of all my kayaksā€¦Started with the feeling I got when I first got into my original sit on top and paddled around. And 15 years and three kayaks later I still feel the same magic.

I guess I watched too many Star Trek Episodes.

Iā€™m glad to see Iā€™m not the only oneā€¦
Thatā€™s crazy! I grew up close to the water (DC)and never got into snob appeal when it came to boating. Anything that got you in or near the water was a good boat. Sail, Jon, row, canoe, kayak or raft. And I must admit Iā€™m a bit of a romantic when it comes to boats. My goal was to get a sail boat and never come back to this so called ā€œreal worldā€.

Aye! Thatā€™s the spirit!