Dolphin Products, Inc. / Dolphin Canoes Information

As I began wading back into my long lost hobby of canoeing, I turned to reading and researching canoes, repairs, waterways, etc. Somehow, the Internet’s tracking capabilities picked up on my searching and browsing and began feeding me canoe content. One of the things fed to me was this gorgeous Dolphin Chief canoe for sale.

I’d never seen one before, and I was drawn to it’s classic Northwestern native style and bright 1970s metal flake paint job. So, I did some searching around for information about it. There was very little information and not even a wiki page, but my searches led me here and to the wood canoe place, strangely enough. I also found an ebay listing for a complete catalog here:

https://ebay.com/itm/VTG-CANOE-ADS-ADVERTISING-DOLPHIN-models-display-item-photo-pictures/292771575984

Wanting to know more about the canoes and the company, I ignored the price and bought the catalog. Well spent money, I thought, to have some solid information.

What I’ve been able to gather is, they were hand manufactured in Wabasha, Minnesota from about 1973 to 2001; they were a bit heavy but very durable, VERY stable and the people who have owned them, loved them.

The seller of the canoe in the photo above flew South for the winter, but I have arrangements to pick it up in the spring. It needs thwarts and some interior paint, but it looks pretty solid and it’s a whole lot prettier than my other two scows; a 1914 Old Town Livery model (in my avatar, undergoing repairs) and an UGLY 1985 Michicraft four seater, both former rental canoes.

Here are the catalog pages, complete with specifications. Enjoy!

Cover

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

@grayhawk said:
What’s the point?..
This is the second time you’ve posted this ad…

There have been some questions about various Dolphin canoes and models. Could be that the old catalog will answer them.

All those pictured lads and lassies are missing something important: PFDs.

@grayhawk said:
What’s the point?..

It couldn’t possibly be an ad. Dolphin Products has been out of business since 2001. The point is in the text before the photos. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

@Rookie said:

@grayhawk said:
What’s the point?..

There have been some questions about various Dolphin canoes and models. Could be that the old catalog will answer them.

Thank you sir.

Right, how about that. Even those throw cushions PFDs would be better than nothing.

@Rookie said:
All those pictured lads and lassies are missing something important:

Sunscreen? To cover all that exposed flesh?

These golden blondes
never rolled in a pond,
but their role is to troll second takes,
from those sentimental
for that heavy metal,
which will bare it’s fair share of the flake.
(Bikini a troll that blasts cajole, for heaven’s sake!)

Signed,
Feel’n Flakey Myself

She doesn’t look very happy. Maybe it was a cold day. And now she’s middle aged.

@Rookie said:

@grayhawk said:
What’s the point?..

Well, it’s not as easy (See? - I avoided saying “hard” :wink: ) to let sex sell when covered in those bulky PFDs.

Well, it’s not as easy (See? - I avoided saying “hard” :wink: ) to let sex sell when covered in those bulky PFDs.

You might be right…

@grayhawk said:

You might be right…

So why is the guy all covered up? Eye candy works both way. :wink:

1 Like

Good point.
Male photogs shooting for Fl. State parks…
I never noticed that…

Nothing like paddling with a guy in a kayak. He did have clothing. A large Sombrero… Nothing else. We were misplaced in the mangroves and he helped us out… Kayaks hide lots of stuff even with out spray skirts.

@Schuylkill said:

@Rookie said:

@grayhawk said:
What’s the point?..

Thank you sir.

Right, how about that. Even those throw cushions PFDs would be better than nothing.

I think I called @Rookie a ma’am, a sir! :#

@kayamedic said:
Nothing like paddling with a guy in a kayak. He did have clothing. A large Sombrero… Nothing else. We were misplaced in the mangroves and he helped us out… Kayaks hide lots of stuff even with out spray skirts.

Hope he had an ocean cockpit so he didn’t get sunburned.

@Schuylkill. No biggie…and yup, am a gal. :slight_smile:

@Rookie my apologies! Going to go find some hot sauce for the foot I just jammed in my mouth … it’s a bit bland.

I always paddle with my upper body ,and head,covered. I’ve had too many precancerous spots burned off my head and a carcinoma cut off my chest.
No matter how attractive one is, it isn’t worth it.

@Schuylkill said:
@Rookie my apologies! Going to go find some hot sauce for the foot I just jammed in my mouth … it’s a bit bland.

Nothing to apologize for. Most user names here aren’t gender specific. Now, if I met you personally and you called me a “Mr.,” I might be offended. Or buy you a white cane. :wink:

@Grayhawk I killed this the first time it showed up in a rush to judgement. It seemed odd etc. But the bottom line is I was having a challenged day and was wrong. I apologized and we are good now. So it is up again in the spirit intended, to provide information on canoes that are still around in the used market but specs are long gone.

IMO, in addition to the lack of safety gear, the presentation is horrifically sexist. But it is what Dolphin Products put in the catalog in the mid-60’s. And I bet they weren’t the only ones if we start digging up 50 year old sports catalogs.

And like someone above, you don’t need it to be 1965. Several years ago a few of us ended up dubbing a spot on Lake George Naked Guy Island.

Celia… I bought a lot of cars and other things back then that had pretty girls draped over them in the ads.
Also hired models just to hang around our products at trade shows.
Looks like it is still working for NASCAR.
Gotta find some of my old Harley calendars…

@Rookie said:

@Schuylkill said:

Nothing to apologize for. Most user names here aren’t gender specific. Now, if I met you personally and you called me a “Mr.,” I might be offended. Or buy you a white cane. :wink:

If that would happen in person, I couldn’t blame you if you hit me with a cane.