Eastern Mountain Sports?

It’s Erehwon
Remember it this way:

Nowhere spelled backwards.

I’m going to miss this thread

– Last Updated: Jun-29-08 8:48 AM EST –

and your comments when it finally dies. Don't usually get into social Darwinism on p-net.

I agree with you about pensions and health care and cracks in the system.

In the global market we're competing at a disadvantage with countries that have various forms of state sponsered portable pensions and national health care - and of course, very high taxes.

America is at another competitive disadvantage as compared to other countries, especially in Asia. Americans seem have such a short term view of the future. And I don't just fault American business for this, rather it's a cultural thing.

Have you checked
your labels? Since you don’t buy anything made in China could you help me do the same by telling me where you get your clothes, outdoor gear, etc? Thanks in advance! BTW, the company that made your one kayak is now making models in China, and the company that makes your other kayakj is shopping for a supplier in China…FYI. Cheers.

We live in a country that is very young
and at least since the end of WWII, one of instant gratification. We have no long term perspective.

I remember the first time in I lived in China, about 11 hours Northwest of Beijing. I was helping a Chinese Venture capital firm develop the coal mines in Shanxi province and i was the only expat living in a city of 3 million. Despite of all my studies, nothing prepared me for the 3000 years of embedded history, the concept of “eating bitter” and the commitment to preserve the past in making preparations for the future. It took a good year for me to finally get it and I was living within the culture.

I know the book has become a cliche, but I think that every American needs to read the World is Flat to prepare themselves for the challenges that America and Americans will be facing from this point foward in history. If they can grasp the concept that we’re now competing for more limited resources as the standard of living increases throughout the world, I think that will be okay. However, I just don’t see that happening anytime soon.

Yes, bought all my gear there.
I bought:

2 kayaks

2 PFDs

2 Paddles

1 Dry Bag

When i bought them, it was their spring same where everything was 20%-off.

They done right by me and i would gladly go back.

Where’s your computer made?
It maybe assembled by Dell? Or even IBM? In the US? But where are the memory made? Where are the CD/DVD driver made? Open up the cover and check the lables.

Be very ashame of yourself if you had supported a communist goverment!

interesting about the location differenc
I guess I’ve had only visited mostly urban stores since that’s where I live.

Having lived in California, where there’s REI close by, I’d say EMS is not quite up to the same standard. Still the best in the east. But that’s even worse to have such a sad reflection of what easterner’s want…

I had the intention to visit the store at North Conway to see if they have stuff I can’t find at urban stores. But guess what? They’re closed for relocation, in the middle of summer!

I’m afraid I’m expecting too much.

store is open again
They closed only for a few days - friends of mine went up last week and they are open for business in the new spot.

IBM
doesn’t make personal computers any more. They sold that business unit to Lenovo.

Right.
But there’re still a lot of IBM PC in use, bought before the sale of the PC business.

What is your point?
What a lot of people forget are that a vast majority of products that are made in China are owned by US or European companies and that those working in the factories are enjoying standards of life much better than what they could have aspired to even 10 years ago.

As long as Americans (and the rest of the world) demand cheap prices, manufacturing is going to be outsourced to the emerging nations around the world. We saw it with Japan, Korea, Taiwan. There will come a time (I argue that its already here)when Chinese goods are too expensive and then the work will migrate to the next nation.

The ironic thing is that we, as Americans, want American made products but very few are willing to spend the premium that those products command.

My point
is there’re IBM PC out there still being used. And they probably have Chinese made components inside.

In your zealous effort to “spread the word” about global economy, you had treated everyone else as though they’ve been living in a Bush induced cave. And only you understand how dependent the US economy is on China. You come across as a free trade lobbyist on the Chinese goverment’s payroll.

You’re barking up the wrong tree.

Unfortunately,
a vast number of people just don’t get that by ranting against “communist” made goods isn’t going to change the stark realty that mass production manufacturing is dead in this country…partly b/c of the huge demand for cheap products.

I work to increase shareholder value for the companies I am contracted to help. While I have relationships with members of the Chinese Government, some of whom are very good friends, I am not in their employ. I am merely a man that sees how the world is and take advantage of the opportunities that happen to present themselves.

This is a paddling forum,
not a political or economical forum.

My experience with EMS
First, I am a noob when it comes to kayaking and buying kayaking gear. I am going to tell you about my experience buying my gear from EMS.

I was lured by their sale, 20% off most expensive, 15% off next most expensive, and 15% off next most expensive. That gave me a kayak that retailed for $775 for $620.

I actually reserved my gear online at 1 AM of the morning I wanted to pick it all up. The store I went to opened at 10 AM and I was there pretty close to the opening. I was surprised to find all my gear waiting for me at the cash register. The only thing not waiting for me was the actual kayak, but, that was because they had to get it from their storage area in another part of the mall. As I paid they went to get my kayak for me.

No surprises, everything went as planned, and the manager even gave me an impromtu lesson on some minor stuff in the middle of the store!!!

It was a great buying experience for me. This store did not have as many kayaks on display as another EMS that was closer to my home. The one that was closer to my home didn’t list any of the items I was trying to reserve as being in stock at their location.

I purchased 8 different items.

Pungo 120 kayak

PFD

hat

bug repellant/spf

water shoes

foam blocks/straps kayak transporter system

hard dry box

paddle

All were in stock all were ready for me when I got there!

No complaints!

I agree
As i said, i bought all my gear there and i had just as pleasant if not more pleasant experience.

1. My miscalculations of how long it would take to get there meant we only had 10 minutes before closing, but no fear they let us stay past the closing time to keep shopping and trying stuff out… At NO point were they trying to get us out the door.

2. When we did leave, they carried the boats out, helped us load up the kayaks on my car, and taught me how to properly secure and tie them.

3. When they were trying to ring up one of the yaks they were having trouble finding it in their inventory (they just received one of them that day). About a week later when adding up the cost of everything in my head i thought something was wrong and when i looked, they had charged one of the two WS Pungos as a Pamlico which was $125 less. So i called them up and they told me not to worry about it. So, i got 20% off everything plus got one yak at a lower price.

they are rei
I’m pretty sure they are the east coast version of REI. I bought an EMS brand sleeping bag about 6 years ago and I’m still using it.