Elie Strait recall

The amount is in the screenshot above. $1149.99 US for the one kayak.

Here are the two attachments:

1 Like

After conveying my concerns about providing my bank info and also the conflicting information between the Public Notice for the Safety Recall and the information that I received in the email, in regards to one of my kayaks not being included in the recall, I received another email with a clarification and the list of all kayak HINs that were subject to the recall. Even though the HIN on my second kayak matched the info on the Public Notice, not all the kayaks that matched that info were part of the recall. One of my kayaks was made a little over a month before the manufacturing change that caused the flaw in the keel. I also received the phone call I requested from someone in the “Recall Department”. While speaking with her, I was emailed a second bank info form that was for US wire transfers only and was the form I should have received initially. The new bank info form still asked for the information that I was not comfortable providing and I explained to her that it probably wasn’t in Pelican International’s best interest to make this process any more unduly burdensome than they already make it and that providing that type of info to a fledgling customer service department in a different Country isn’t something I was willing to do. Not that it mattered, but they also do not cover your bank fee for the transfer.

I asked for an alternative form of reimbursement and she said she would contact her accounting department to see if an alternative was available. I received an email later that day explaining that they would be able to send me a check in lieu of a wire transfer.

I’m attaching the second bank form and would like to attach the complete list of kayaks, because it is not available anywhere on the internet, but I’m not very tech savvy, so I don’t know if it’s possible to attach a 57 page pdf file to a forum post. If someone can explain to me how it can be posted, I will put the file in the thread.

Not that I think you won’t, but I would be checking the number 15 times before I got the saw out.

Well, Pelican has agreed to pay my reimbursement with a check, instead of requiring me to submit my bank info for a wire transfer, so I followed the destruction instructions and sawzalled the kayak. I’m confident I will receive my reimbursement, but I’m not sure how long it will take to get it.

Ouch. That must have hurt. Fingers crossed for you, Grunsky.

1 Like

Now that it’s open you can reinforce the thin spot and glue the end back on.

Just kidding. But I know I would be thinking about it.

1 Like

:beers:

Elmer’s? :joy:

1 Like

I have seen at least 5 of these recall kayaks for sale this year that were patched back together. They always state it was a small patch.

Sadly a couple days later the ad is gone which means people are actually paying for these patched up defective kayaks and usually they were $700+

1 Like

I would say selling one after getting a refund could get a person in trouble. Lawn or bar art might be a better use.

I helped my friend that was hauling for cash for clunkers transport cars from the dealer to the scrap yard to be crushed. Out of the 50 or so cars we hauled at least 40 of them were way nicer than the car I was driving. One I remember was a mint condition Cadillac that the dealer told us he added the glass to the oil and ran the engine all day trying to kill it and it wouldn’t die. The second was a beautiful GMC 2500 pickup without a spot of rust.

After seeing that a kayak wouldn’t be hard to scrap.

You’ll have to post one of those ads, next time you see one. I can’t even imagine what the “patch” would look like. Or, screen shot the photos and post them.

Also, used kayak prices are high wherever you are.

1 Like

It’s just a defective piece of poly. I don’t have any problem scrapping it, as long as Pelican is paying for a replacement.

I’ll bet dollars to donuts that if you leave it at the curb for the trash man it will be gone before he ever gets there.

Do they have you send the HIN end in? or just send a photo?

No curbs where I live. :grinning:

Plus, I stripped all the parts off of it for spares, so someone would just be getting a hull with a giant hole in it. :laughing:

4 Likes

Wow, somebody is a great gardener. Nice!

Like I said somewhere JUNK and I was eaten alive online. But hey I don’t care. Junk company too.

You have more patient than me a lot more. I’d wait a day or two not a month for a response.

Darn it, I should have taken your advice instead of the Gear of the Year award and excellent reviews when I bought them in 2014.

“Prestigious Gear of the Year Award”

1 Like

Meanwhile, I hit the Siltcoos River in my junk. :slightly_smiling_face:

Still waiting for my check. The single individual that handles the recalls was on vacation last week and no contact today. I headed out for a quick paddle on Munsel Lake and had an awesome marine layer roll in.

1 Like

The authorization to issue me a check has been sent to the accounting department. I’ve asked for an approximate timeframe for my check to be mailed, and have not received an answer. Monday will be two months since I started this process.

1 Like