Everglades Challenge starts this Saturday!

The 2022 Everglades Challenge starts this Saturday, March 5th at 7 AM from Fort Desoto (St Petersburg FL). 100 small craft will make their way south to Key Largo before Sunday March 13th.

I will be on the start beach this year! I have wanted to do the race for several years but it took a while for all the pieces to fall into place. It is often said that just getting to the start beach is a victory and that really is true.

If you would like to follow me (or anyone else, or the whole fleet) here is some info on the two tracking maps that you can use:

Watertribe.com

Click on “Tracking Map” in upper left
Event: EC2022
Class: Class 1 Sail (choose All if you want to see the whole fleet!)
Challenger: Mola Mola
Display Detail: Show Tracks and All Waypoints
Regenerate View
Can click on “OK” boxes to see date and time stamp

Raceowl.com

Click on “Watertribe Everglades Challenge 2022” under “Now Racing”
Click on the map
Can filter by racer number – mine is 3680 – or show the whole fleet
Numbers in black are active trackers, red indicates inactive (turned off, probably camping/resting, or tracker not working)

Raceowl does not show tracks, just current positions

If anyone is local and would like to check out the fleet on Friday I will be there most of the day (East Beach at Ft Desoto). Start is 7 AM Saturday.

Thanks everyone for their advice over the past few months! I will try to remember to take some pictures during the race and will definitely write a recap when I get back.

11 Likes

My favorite event to follow as the WaterTribe’s EC is what got me into paddling.

Fair winds to you and Greg Stamer (KayakVagabond) who is doing his tenth consecutive challenge.

Zoom zoom!

2 Likes

Wishing you good luck and good weather.
And yes just getting all that gear to the beach is half the battle

1 Like

Thanks Rookie! I just saw Greg this past weekend at the Sweetwater Symposium. I doubt I’ll see much of him on the course but I’ll be rooting for him too!

This year we also have the first female SUP entrant - Flamingo! Keep an eye on her, I really hope she does well.

2 Likes

Noticed her in the SUP class. Also noticed there are quite a few women paddlers in Class 1, which is great.

I will be following you closely from home. Good luck!!!Can’t wait to hear all about it

1 Like

Good luck to everyone out there, especially those who are also part of P.NET!

2nd that
It is fun to watch from afar.

Is there anyone else from pnet participating?

I don’t know of anyone else besides myself and Greg Stamer, but there certainly could be others who don’t post much.

1 Like

Just took a look at the route. Wow, that looks like an adventure! May the winds be at your back.

1 Like

Best of luck, Brodie. Be careful, it is supposed to be a hot one.

1 Like

Fair winds and following seas to you Brodie! I also root for Greg, and enjoy his post on Pnet too. Hope to be down there next year if I am healthy enough.

1 Like

Good luck and best wishes!

1 Like

JUST MAYBE… If timing and meds workout I’ll be able to say hi at the Finish Line in Key Largo

2 Likes

I hope to finish Friday, possibly Saturday, but definitely shooting to make it for the party Saturday at noon!

3 Likes

It is supposed to be hot. Not super excited about that but it’s better than freezing, raining and stormy, as it often can be. Lots of Gatorade powder packed!

1 Like

What is your tribal name?

Mola Mola,

Here’s the info from the first post,

"Watertribe.com

Click on “Tracking Map” in upper left
Event: EC2022
Class: Class 1 Sail (choose All if you want to see the whole fleet!)
Challenger: Mola Mola
Display Detail: Show Tracks and All Waypoints
Regenerate View
Can click on “OK” boxes to see date and time stamp

Raceowl.com

Click on “Watertribe Everglades Challenge 2022” under “Now Racing”
Click on the map
Can filter by racer number – mine is 3680 – or show the whole fleet
Numbers in black are active trackers, red indicates inactive (turned off, probably camping/resting, or tracker not working)

Raceowl does not show tracks, just current positions"

2 Likes

Thanks LowTech!

I am Mola Mola

Greg Stamer is KayakVagabond.

2 Likes

Very very cool.

I’ll be checking that out.