Fall Ozark Rendezvous dates and info

OK kids, I’ll start the thread.

The Fall Ozark Rendezvous is annually scheduled for the third Thursday in October on the Current River in the beautiful Missouri Ozarks. The group will camp at the Pulltite Campground in the Ozark National Scenic Riverways operated by the National Park Service.

That makes the official dates of this year’s Fall Rendezvous Thursday, October 16, 2014 thru Sunday, October 20, 2014.

Many people show up earlier than the official start date, and some stay after the official end date, and some paddle other Ozark rivers before, after, or during the official Rendezvous dates. As you can see this is a very formal, regimented canoe trip :blush:

I plan to arrive at Pulltite some time on Sunday afternoon, October 12th.

FYI, the National Sierra Club is having a canoe trip on the Current River Oct. 12 - 16. The trip is for up to 16 people. According to the itinerary on their web page they will be camping at Pulltite Campground on Wed. night Oct 15th.

You can make reservations for your favorite campsite online at http://www.recreation.gov/ but it seems that they are not taking reservations for the Pulltite Campground for any dates after October 15th. After October 15th all Pulltite camp sites are first-come-first-served.

We Will Try To Be There Tuesday
Gosh, I guess I didn’t realize we hadn’t started a thread? I’ll work Sunday, dogs to the kennel Monday, and hopefully be there Tuesday? That’s our plan. Margaret’s “Good” with spending our 30th anniversary among our Rendezvous buddies as am I. Just spent some time on the Current yesterday, Akers to Pulltite. It will be good to get our old friends gathered back there in October!

http://www.pbase.com/ozarkpaddler/summer_2014

http://www.pbase.com/ozarkpaddler/ozark_fall_rendezvous_2012&page=all

Just a few more months!
Summer just started and it is already flying by. But I’ll be ready for the “cooler” fall weather. We’ll be there!

Hope everyone is having a good summer!

Take care,

Pam

Good summer … sorta
Sorta been having a good summer, (ie haven’t had to turn on the air conditioner yet) but canoeing is a different question.

Have gotten out only three times since Memorial Day. Then the rains came, and so far have stayed. Thunderstorms almost every day. River levels at or above flood stage for weeks.

It seems since I retired in June of 2011 the weather has not cooperated with my canoeing plans.

2012 was a drought year. No snow in the winter. No rains in the spring, summer, or fall. There was no water in the rivers at all, plus our well went dry. I had to haul water from July 2012 through February 2013.

2013 we had floods in the spring and early summer so the rivers were too high to canoe. We had about two weeks of good canoeing after the rains stopped and for the rest of the summer and fall there was no more rain and the rivers were too low for canoeing.

So far this year we’re starting again with floods in spring and summer. We’ll see if last year’s pattern will repeat itself.

Some may theorize that this is related to global warming. I disagree. My theory is that it is related to my retiring. I thought once I retired I would get to go canoeing at least two or three times a week from spring through fall.

It seems the canoeing gods are disagreeing with me. I bet they’re laughing their asses off up there.

Just scheduled my vacation!
Talk about an “ahhhhhhh” moment. As soon as my leave request was approved for the Rendezvous week, I felt my stress levels go down! It’s been way, way too long! Hope to see you all there!

Jill

YEEE HAWWWWWWWWWW!
Can’t wait to see you and David!

Welcome Back
If I recall correctly that song was sung by John Sebastian as the theme for the TV show “Welcome Back Kotter.”

I like the sound of Welcome Back Jill much better.

Looking forward to seeing one of the originators of the Fall Rendezvous on the Current River once again.

Rats
I still have to wait about 11 weeks to the Rendezvous :frowning:

You could be doing…
The Great River Rumble this week. This year it is mostly on the Wisconsin and finishes on the Mississippi.

It’s a fun group.

I haven’t done it since I think 1998.

Rumble
Paddled with them yesterday, actually. Spring Green to Lone Rock with about a mile of upstream paddling at the end. Its a fun group and they have lessons to teach re: organization of large trips.

But gadzooks, it was a large group. There must have been over a hundred boats out there. Where there were mid-river shallows and only a couple channels deep enough to float a canoe or kayak, there were some definite bumper boat moments.

I had a good time, but I prefer small groups and sandbar camping. It was almost too organized, though I see the necessity for groups that large.

I hope y’all have a great rendezvous
I thoroughly enjoyed the 2014 Spring Rendezvous. Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the Fall Rendezvous this year. I hope y’all have a great time!

Judy

Only
Well the Fall Rendezvous is only eight weeks away. Cool temps, fall colors, clear Ozark rivers, and good friends.

Getting to the point where I can’t wait for Sunday, afternoon, October 12th. That’s when I’ll arrive at Pulltite.

Where Has the Summer Gone?
Flying by!

i may be getting surgery on my left hand
soon but if i cant paddle i can still camp ,and drink, and see my friends… but i plan on paddling

Jack
Hope you’ll be able to paddle…

If not; attend anyway.

Would miss you if you weren’t there.

Could find something constructive for you to do.

You’d make a “cracker jack” camp guard, and shuttle b-tch.

:^/

BOB

Bob will paddle you around in a tandem.
You could just drink beer from the bow seat and enjoy the scenery.

OK but …
OK, but if Jack is going to be Bob’s bow queen then he’ll have to dress the part.

Maybe Bob can dig up that tutu he found at the first Fall Rendezvous. I am sure that Terry and I will take photos of that :slight_smile:

bow queen… thats funny
but im afraid that would qualify me for river dork status so ill have to pass… hopefully ill be able to paddle… I plan on being there regardless…

Ozark Rendezvous
For over 30 years a group of Indiana-based paddlers have visited The Current the last weekend in October. The groups varies from 20-50 attendees with some coming one to two weeks early. This year we will be on the river 23-26. So watch for the Indiana license plates that week folks!

Looking forward to see you on the river…

Who else?
Is it going to be a small group this year? Not seeing much action on here.

I’m all excited…this will be my first Ozark Rendezvous in quite some time. Reservations made.

Jill