Fall Ozark Rendezvous???

Very upsetting

Greg Webb, Terry’s brother posted this on FB about 9 hours ago:
"We lost my brother Terry Webb this evening. His body just wasn’t able to recover from the open heart surgery he had a month ago and he never made it out of the hospital.

Cherish your paddling friends… Life is so short and unpredictable.

Yes. Terry (wildernesswebb) had a special place in the hearts of many who paddled with him and will be sorely missed. Paddling many of the Ozark streams in MO and AR will be a rather bittersweet experience for me from here on.

Terry was more than a friend to me, and I believe to many that had the pleasure to know him. Let us all keep Margaret in our hearts and prayers.

This is probably not yet the time or place for eulogizing him, but I can’t help but think that this very thread would not be here but for him. He (and theBob) were the ones who did the groundwork for that very first Ozark Rendezvous at Round Spring. He was such a kind and gentle man. We shall not look on his like again…

Visitation for Terry Webb:
Noon - 2 p.m.
Saturday, Aug. 31
Ponder Funeral Home in Sikeston.
Funeral is at 2 p.m.

I chose to think of it this way. Terry has joined Daryl, and Sam.
They have gone downstream ahead of us, to find us a beautiful place to make camp.
They’ll be waiting on us when we get there.
We’ll all be happy to see each other again.
Rather simplistic, but it works for me.

BOB

Dang Bob, first time I’ve visited here in a while, and you mention Sam. Funny how this paddling thing works, we’ve only made two Rendezvous and we still talk about those times. Only met most of you guys twice and think of you as our closest friends. Only paddled twice with you Bob, and you think of my family. Only paddled twice with Terry and I come here for comfort. Is it worthwhile? You bet! Yes, life gets in the way sometimes. We were lucky to have both a spring and fall break from school that coincided with Rendezvous twice in a row. I can honestly say you guys taught us more about friends, companionship, and paddling, in the two weekends we spent with you, than in all the time since. I don’t know if we’ll make fall Rendezvous this year. I do know because of Rendezvous, I call each of you my friend, and my mentor, I still remember Pete’s words…why don’t you bring those old school boats and join us for Rendezvous. Wise words Pete, wise words indeed. When Sam passed, this was one of the only three places I left a message. You guys are family! So, I come here to morn Terry. To morn Sam. To find comfort in a chaotic world. If there’s one thing that Sam’s death taught me, it’s that you never know how many people you touch during your stay here; however long. Know that each of you made an impression on us, and changed our lives for the better.
Rest easy Terry, you are loved and missed, and don’t let Sam talk you into trouble.
Miss you guys,
ed

I haven’t been on this board in over two years, but came over when I heard about Terry Webb. Regretfully, I’ve never made it to the Ozark’vous nor met Terry in person, but I recall reading hundreds of his posts here and seeing many pictures. My condolences and prayers for his family.

As one who hasn’t been canoeing much lately for sorry reasons but who should have been, I encourage any of you who are wobbling on the fence about attending the event to . . . DO IT. Paddling camaraderie will be much more memorable for you in years to come than just about anything else you can do instead. Crash some boats and do some other dopey stuff so Terry can look down and smile.

Terry had very significant health issues that went back decades. Yet he always maintained a cheerful attitude and had the fortitude to continue to do the things he loved to do when others might have become bitter and given up.

There are others to remember as well…

(Walt - in tricorner hat and TripS - on Edisto Rendz but not Ozark - just behind him) and Ken Hecht who was on a few ozark trips - the Buffalo was one - here at Mineral Bottoms on the Green River

Hope they’re all paddling the rivers of Elysium together.
Must run. I have some driving to do to get to a funeral. If we don’t go to theirs, they won’t come to ours.

Pat if you read this give my best to Margaret…No way can we make it from Maine though we would like to be able to… And a good reason to try to attend a Rendezvous… Your bucket may break before you know it… Better to party while everyone is here.

I only met Terry in person once at my only fall Rendezvous and his friendliness and generous being made a lasting impression.

I’ll certainly miss his posts here and miss his presence if I ever make it to another Ozark Rendezvous.

RIP Terry.

Intersting, i grew up in farmington missouri and have never heard of the ozark rendezvous. Ive been paddling canoes for 50 years and kayaks for 20. I would be interested in this trip if it is actually going to happen this year. Could use more info on whats planned for the trip i.e. camp along river or at designated camp grounds etc.

@Voyageur61 said:
Intersting, i grew up in farmington missouri and have never heard of the ozark rendezvous. Ive been paddling canoes for 50 years and kayaks for 20. I would be interested in this trip if it is actually going to happen this year. Could use more info on whats planned for the trip i.e. camp along river or at designated camp grounds etc.

Read from the beginning of the thread… It is based on camping at Pulltite or nearby RV parks… Nothing is planned till the participants decide day to day what section of the river they want to paddle . There is no leader so it is up to you to meet folks ( who are friendly ) and set up your shuttle.

The third full weekend in Oct and usually folks show up Wed or Thurs of the preceding week…

This is not a formal event if that is what you are looking for. You come and grab a campsite. There are always plenty.

@Voyageur61 said:

Well, it is pretty definitely going to occur this year. I know of at least nine people who say they plan to attend and there are probably at least as many potentials. As Kim said, it is pretty much a come when you want, leave when you want, paddle when you want type of event without much “structure”.

The group will base camp at Pulltite Campground which is a National Park Service Campground within the Ozark National Scenic Riverways right on the Current River. I know of a couple of people who might be arriving as early as October 13 or 14, but I would not take that as gospel. A fair number will probably arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday Oct 15 and 16 and there will be people staying at least until Sunday Oct 20.

If you are unfamiliar with Pulltite Campground, you will find it at the end of County Road EE off of HIghway 19 as you are coming from the north. County EE would be a right turn off of Highway 19 coming from the north, about 4 miles before you would cross the river at Round Spring. It is a pretty nice campground with flush toilets, potable water, modern bathhouses and warm showers but there are no electrical hookups or RV waste dumps. There are also no restaurants at the campground. Nearest would be at Echo Bluff State Park, Eminence, or Salem, MO. Most people cook at the campground. After October 15 is off-season, and campsite costs are half price.

If you wanted to arrange to do a downriver trip lasting a couple or three days, you could probably find someone willing to do that in the early part of the week, but you would have to make arrangements in advance. I might possibly be willing to do so. The group typically does day trips on the Current and sometimes the lower portion of the Jacks Fork Rivers. On one occasion some did a day trip on the Big Piney. The trips are typically 8-10 miles in length, although in the past some have done day trips of around 18 miles or so. Typical trips are Cedargrove to Akers Ferry, Akers Ferry to Pulltite, Pulltite to Round Spring. Less commonly Baptist Camp to Cedargrove or Akers, Alley Spring to Eminince (on the Jacks Fork), and Round Spring to either Jerktail Landing or Two Rivers.

The only “rule” is that you have to find someone to shuttle with. Make sure that whatever stretch of river you plan to paddle, there will be someone planning to bring you and your boat back from the take-out. Don’t just assume that it will happen automatically, unless you have a vehicle at the take-out. Trips are usually decided on the evening prior, or sometimes the morning of. That is also typically when people arrange shuttles. Sometimes different groups will paddle different stretches or different distances. You can do whatever you want, so long as you can find someone to shuttle with.

By all means plan to come if you are able. You are certainly close by.

I can’t make it this Fall due to a couple of prior commitments. Is there a traditional time in the Spring?
When I visited Terry Webb in March, coming back in the Spring was the plan, and so that will remain a priority. It needs to go on the calendar and be guarded.

Pulltite and Twin Bridges were both enjoyable the two years I was able to be there.

The Spring gathering has traditionally been the first full weekend of May and whatever portion of the preceding week. That would be the last few days of April and Friday May 1 - Sunday May 3, 2020. Where is open to question, but since we were at the Buffalo River this Spring, it might well be Twin Bridges on the North Fork of the White River. Stay tuned.

Will do. The dates are on the calendar now. Thank you.

I hadn’t checked this thread for quite a while, knowing we would be on a trip in the west during this year’s Rendezvous. Kevin and I are semi-random attendees, but we always enjoy it when we can get there. Maybe next year!

(the other) Pam

Is anyone else getting excited? Paddled Pulltite to Round Spring last Saturday, was beautiful. The cool down here in MO is finally starting so hopefully we’ll have good weather (was 93 today but going to be 73 tomorrow). River could use some rain, we didn’t drag at all but you did have to pick your channel. I’ll be there on Tuesday 10/15 to set up camp and ready to paddle on Wednesday. Can’t wait to see everyone!