First rolling class, what to bring?

Tonight is my first indoor pool rolling class.

What to bring besides nose plugs, goggles, helmet, skirt, paddle, and of course, boat.

What do people usually wear under their um, boat…I was thinking just a normal bathing suit…???

Thanks,

Val in CT.

if you

– Last Updated: Jan-07-05 1:14 PM EST –

wear nothing it will give you more insentive to roll and NOT come out of your boat!

;-)

actually a bathing suit is fine. lots of folks wear a neoprene vest of lightweight capilene shirt for a little extra warmth. even a paddle jacket might help.

winter in CT, es correcto??

good luck, and keep your head down.

steve

Neoprene…
If the pool is mostly used by lap swimmers or competitors there is a good chance that the water temp will be on the cool side. Wear neoprene so you can practice longer.

I normally wear a fuzzy rubber shortie john at pool practice. If I am practicing, I am fine. If I am spotting, I can last about 15-20 minutes standing around and then have to get out of the water to warm up.

sing

Neo it…
I’ve been “Pool-rolling” a half dozen times this season. I find my neoprene shorty to be a welcome piece of gear. I also like wearing some booties to protect my feet during my many feeble attempts to perfect my roll. Good luck!

get’s chilly!
Like several others have mentioned, dress warmly. Although the water temperature may be 80 degrees, repeated dunking leads to you feeling a bit chilly. I wear underarmour and sometimes a paddling top or neoprene vest.

courage…
and a desire to succeed

PFD Duh
Already in the car, don’t worry, I’m modelling good habits for my kid.

depends on the pool and instructor(s)
I just saw an announcement for a roll session somewhere that required students to wear helmets and pfds. Seemed kind of excessive, unless they were forced into that by some sort of insurance regulation. Most pools don’t really care what you use, as long as your gear is clean.

I go minimalist for roll sessions, since chlorine wreaks havoc on nylon and neoprene: bathing trunks on the bottom, a rash guard on top, and no pfd or helmet. I even went so far as to use one of the pool’s cheap nylon skirts, but I’ve taken to bringing my own skirt. Not having to get out and dump every 10 minutes is worth a slightly shorter skirt life…

If you’re a beginner, you’ll want to try rolling with pfd and helmet at some point, just to get a feel for what it’s like. The school here keeps some old ratty helmets and pfds for just that purpose.

"Helmet Rule…"
generally that would be a rolling session given for and/or taken by whitewater folks. They don’t go on the river without a helmet (and PFD), so they practice with that equipment on. Folks not used to helmets (touring folks) think it can be distracting. Most folks who get used to helmets, don’t notice them anymore once the fastex buckle is snapped…

sing

i can understand the helmet more
Granted you want the situation to be as similar as when you will really be on the water, but I never saw a huge difference b/w rolling with or without a PFD. Noseplugs, pogies, gloves, helmet… these all make a difference more than PFD for rolling. In a sea kayak, the PFD sometimes inhibits the boat from rolling all the way over but then again you will not be in a sea kayak in the pool. A helmet makes some sense as the danger is always that you could potentially hit your head on the side of the pool.

here’s the link
If anyone in CT is interested…there is a class tonight in Middletown and 2 others…through the AMC non-profit so I hope this doesn’t qualify as an advertisement.

http://www.ct-amc.org/paddle/Instructionals.html

Val

or…
more importantly

the bottom.

one of our local pools has a ‘helmet rule’ and it has to do with the rock hard bottom of the pool. It’s a wave pool so it’s quite shallow.

steve

What…
are you practicing in a “baby (wading) pool?” The shallow end of most pools start at 3.5 feet. You have to be mightly tall and long torso to hit the bottom with you head on a capsize!

sing

that’s cool!
Do you get to turn on the wave pool? Can you surf in that thing? Also, if you’re hitting your head on the floor I agree with sing that it has to be a wading pool!

I recommend a divers mask for 1st
sessions. If you just bring goggles I highly recommend nose plugs.

Some do not believe in the mask because you must wean yourself off of it. I believe in it because I need every possible advantage when learning, then after I know my bit (a bit) I could wean off the mask easily. I still use a mask when learning a new roll, and sometimes for long practice sessions, but I always do a few without it too.

Helmets
With boats, paddles, pool walls, and beginners in a small area, I like my helmet! I also figure that a wet pool deck isn’t a lot different than a rocky riverbank which is where a lot of dumb accidents happen.

Have fun!

PFD sometimes required in a pool
Some clubs actually require a PFD in a pool session, no matter what you’re doing. The reasoning, I believe, is the same as for paddling a natural body of water – a (properly fitted and worn) PFD will hold your head out of the water, even if you are unconscious. Granted, in a pool there are usually people around to grab you quickly, but one could start making the same arguments for certain outdoors situations as well.

So, it’s a matter of actual safety and consistency. And, you may as well get used to wearing a PFD quite happily, and not feel like it’s something onerous to be avoided at every opportunity.

Also, doesn’t the bouyancy of the PFD actually make rolling a tad ~easier~.

–David.

what to wear
Repeated sliding in and out of the cockpit for pool sessions can scratch the hide off your thighs and legs so we’ve found wearing our farmer johns/janes to be a real big benefit. The helmet espoused by others is a MUST in pools since I’ve seen heads gashed open by other paddlers in the confines. I can’t imagine not wearing a PFD for any practice cause I’m sure as hell gonna have mine on full time when the time/place comes to use the roll/brace etc. Good luck and enjoy the humidity!!

not sure about holding your head up
I though life jackets keep your head above water and PFD’s keep your body afloat with no special consideration for the head. Still I understand that it could be safer. For a pool setting with a lifeguard (who has kayak rescue training), I usually don’t worry about a PFD as it is a controlled environment unlike the outdoors. Also chlorine tends to shorten the life of whatever you bring in there so I tend to be a bit cautious as to what I dip in the pool.

YEAH!
it’s a funny shape, has a narrow, deep end and a fanned out shallow end. It throws up 1.5-2’ ‘swell’ that gently spills. you can get 10’-15’ long rides and sidesurfs. HELMETS required as windowshades are common amoungst novice surfers.

there’s one in Edmonton, Alberta that even has sunlamps (tan) and sand! gotta do sumthin’ on those cold, long winters!

steve