First rolling class, what to bring?

Last try
The issue is not my awareness of the variety of ways that people learn. I do not need to look up any references on that subject. Learning any physical skill involves learning body awareness. There are thousands of references in the coaching literature about this if you like references. Body awareness can be learned in a variety of ways. A visual learner (and I am a visual learner), for example, might profit from watching a video of themselves rolling. Lack of body awareness is what orientation problems are all about. And part of that is the removal of visual information that is inherent in being upside down in a kayak. The teaching objective should be to give the student a way to achieve body awareness without visual cues. Notice we are talking about something to be learned, not a method of learning. The problem with goggles is that they teach the wrong kind of body awareness. I once had an instructor who took us down the Rogue River in Oregon. At one point he stopped and had us ferry across the river with our eyes closed. Scary though it seemed at first it turned out to be easy. With our eyes shut we had to focuss our attention on boat movement rather than looking at the orientation of the boat. In the context of rolling, sense of body orientation can be taught easily and relatively quickly (and in a way consistent with different learning styles). Continuation of visual clues works against the process of learning not to rely on them.