Flatpick: Front deck paddle holders?

Steve: I’ve been trying to explain to a friend your neat paddle holders, can you tell us what you used to make them?

Thanks!

waste elbow
http://tinyurl.com/38mfxl

you cut the threaded flange on the short end of the elbow off and put it under fwd deck bungies.

I’m sure someone has some pictures of the finished product online.

steve

Are these them?
http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~walpole/pics/kayak/flattery/50.html

Steve, what’s the advantage…
… over just using the deck bungees? I’ve seen Amber W’s setup down here (which I believe she learned from you) and am not sure I get it. Is it faster to retrieve the blades?

Glenn

yep… dats dem.

– Last Updated: Nov-25-07 9:09 AM EST –

they can be found in white and black PVC. that happens to be my loverly wife, Cindy!

the advantages are:

#4. you don't scratch up the forward deck siding paddles in/out of the bungies

#3. they protect the ends of your spare paddle

#2. they look cool and w/o the paddles in create lots of conversations ie: "Are those exhaust pipes?"

and a B I G #1. if you need to use your spare paddle and then need to replace it 'quickly' and without help, you just slide the shafts back into the sleeves.

In a BCU 5* training they had us throw our paddles away (into current) then roll over. You had to pull out 1/2 a spare, roll up, pull out your other half, assamble paddle, go find your paddle, then put away your spare. alone and in a major tide race/ rapid.

fun.

steve

storing
It’s faster to store the spare. That really is the advantage. Plus it keeps your rear deck clear for tow lines.

More secure

– Last Updated: Nov-25-07 9:51 AM EST –

Not Steve but... the piping will keep the paddle secured in conditions that would could dislodge or move it around under bungies. (and less fuss to stow)
And they work for rear deck storage as well. (I store one front and one back these days)

Permanently mounted?
Do these things get glued onto the foredeck, or are they just held on by the bungees?

Seems without the paddle shafts inside them, they could easily get washed from the deck by waves over the bow.

Am I missing something?

nope
that’s why the Tempest has multiple front bungies!

some folks drill holes in the pipes and thread the bungies thru. overkill IMO. you can also groove the outside of the pipe with a round file and it helps seat the bungies.

they do work great and never come loose.

steve

Bungies run thru ours

– Last Updated: Nov-26-07 1:34 PM EST –

Drill holes on each side, towards the bottom as it lays on the deck, and run the bungies thru them. It does require undoing the bungies - we each added our PVC piping as part of the last time we replaced the rigging and lines on the boats.
I should add that, by running the bungies thru them, we can get good effect by using pieces of pipe that are just a few inches long. That's too short a length to hold well without running the bungies thru them, but still plenty long to secure the paddles.

BCU 5 training exercise

I don’t know anything about the BCU but if they would allow me to step in as a substitute rule administrator :slight_smile: instead of requiring what you describe below, I would instead give the option of recovering (from being up-side-down) and retrieving primary paddle any way the student chooses and then grading the student on how long it takes. For instance if you have a bit of canoe experience you would never need to assemble and disassemble the spare paddle–just use one half, or if you wanted to really be lighting fast you could do a hands roll and hand paddle to retrieve the primary paddle.

Just got to thinking about it…

--------------------------------------

“In a BCU 5* training they had us throw our paddles away (into current) then roll over. You had to pull out 1/2 a spare, roll up, pull out your other half, assamble paddle, go find your paddle, then put away your spare. alone and in a major tide race/ rapid.”

half a paddle
half a paddle…twice the man!

yeah, been there, done that… King Canoer! :wink:

something about the term I used ‘major tide race/ rapid’ that kept this cowboy from being too cocky. because of the current my paddle ended up outta site and 200 meters away. It was quite rough and what the coach described as ‘typical British conditions’ =:-0)

I do perscribe to the fast/effecient method as much as anyone. In this example the assembled spare kayak paddle was the answer.

steve

see flatpick’s answer to that above
the advantages are:

1. they won’t get washed away in the surf
  2. you can re-store your spare paddle without help
  3. spare paddles don’t scratch up your gel coat (the paddle tubes scratch it instead)

good hand roll practice
2 for the price of one, while learning, you use the ‘half-paddle’ roll as a backup.

1. Secure your paddle (where ever you plan to put your ‘spare’ on trips).
  2. practice your hand roll
  3. when unsuccessful - retrieve one piece of paddle and roll

Andy

Storm Paddle?
Is there any great disadvantage to using a Storm Paddle (GP) as a spare?

Yes…

I was assuming the kayak and paddle were in the same tide race traveling at the same speed. If one is in an eddy/whirlpool/current differential and one is in the tide race that would definitely changed the dynamics.

At any rate, it’s easy for me (in the comfort of a stable chair and warm room) to throw out hypotheticals like that. You’ve paddled for a lot of years–many professionally–I know that your skills are very advanced so I’m really not second guessing you. I was just having a little fun with ideas.

Bob

something about the term I used ‘major tide race/ rapid’ that >kept this cowboy from being too cocky. because of the current >my paddle ended up outta site and 200 meters away. It was >quite rough and what the coach described as 'typical British

well now…
think about losing or breaking your euro. you wanna have a storm as a back-up for the rest of the mission?

some do/ some don’t

personally I use the same paddle for a spare as I do for my paddle. invariably someone will want to borrow/demo my AT EXception and I REALLY don’t want to have to use their whatever for long. (paddle snob and all) and they usually won’t give it back!

steve

well now again
steve…some of us dedicated users have already crossed that bridge…just a little outside the box

a convertable spare :slight_smile:

http://www.geocities.com/roym52/5P-paddle-1.jpg

that way whether I take an airplane or a car…whatever place I paddle, my trip can keep going even if something happens to my main paddle. no need to paddle the next week or so with just a storm, but for inside caves and as a “just in case” I have a storm

Best Wishes

Roy

and…
if you paddle a Current Designs “Storm” kayak during a storm you could be “paddling a storm with a storm in a storm”

whew…

trippy.

steve

Storm
Did the actress Gale Storm ever storm a storm with a storm in a Storm…