"Florence"

For anyone interested in tracking this storm this is the site I like this year.
http://www.myfoxhurricane.com/?intcmp=hplnws

What I learned is that a CAT 4 can build a big surge especially in the right quadrant. Even if you don’t get a direct hit the surge can extend out especially if it was created by a large storm. Here we only got CAT 1 winds in Irma but got a CAT 4 surge. Remember the surge is SALT water. My neighborhood lost every vehicle left behind from Miatas to Escalades to large motor homes because of the salt and every pump and almost every appliance. All home electrical service boxes had to be replaced with no cable TV for weeks. We had two internet providers and one restored quickly also cell phones were almost useless. And we had it good with little wind damage.

One year to the day… The longest year of my life.

Tip: If you leave an RV behind take the batteries with you.

GOOD LUCK Y’ALL… GH

Damn. That last icon in the projected path is right over my house. I’m pretty far inland. Maybe it’ll peter out. The ground here in central NC is pretty saturated so if the winds are high there are going to be a LOT of uprooted trees. It happened with Fran in '96. Good luck to us all.

Thanks for the link it’s a good one. They had Charleston in the crosshairs yesterday. Very glad it it turning a bit North, but don’t wish anyone harm. Had plans to be paddling the coast this Friday to Sunday, but now I’ll be hunkered down at home it looks like.

Great reminder -hopefully you can skip acting on the lesson this season!

We have been offline for days… Come home to find out Gordon isn’t done and tornados possible for tomorrow… agh… In Maine yet. We had a nasty storm that brought trees down last Thursday… Neighbors called us and asked us to go clear our camp road and we said, no …we are no help with downed trees…find someone else with a chainsaw… We were standing at the top of Cadillac Mt in Acadia NP

@kayamedic said:
We have been offline for days… Come home to find out Gordon isn’t done and tornados possible for tomorrow… agh… In Maine yet. We had a nasty storm that brought trees down last Thursday… Neighbors called us and asked us to go clear our camp road and we said, no …we are no help with downed trees…find someone else with a chainsaw… We were standing at the top of Cadillac Mt in Acadia NP

I had a similar call from my wife while on the banks of the Suwanee. A major plumbing leak. Our neighbor was able to repair it .

HERE WE GO AGAIN…!

Grayhawk reemphasizes a point that is frequently overlooked: the biggest danger to people, and a near equivalent contributor to property damage, is the composite flooding associated with hurricanes.

Three considerations:

The beachfront direct surge;

Coastal surge effects affecting marshes and waterways, sometimes miles inland; and

Heavy/sometimes torrential rains affecting many hundreds of thousands the of people for sometimes several hundreds of miles inland with flooding.

Big, wide storms can also bring exceptionally strong winds surprisingly far inland. My sister lives in the Raleigh area, and forecasts present her family with about a 30% chance of hurricane force (72+mph) winds, but even more frightening, an 80% chance of tropical storm force ,(39-71mph) winds. They’re about 100-120 miles inland…!

For all our P-Net (I just can’t say P-Com, LOL) friends in affected areas, please prepare and take care. We want you all to be with us for years to continue to

PADDLE ON!

Frank in Miami

Rain saturating the ground and wind usually equal trees falling down.

If that didn’t get you the amount of rain will.

SC has a mandatory evac of the Grand Strand starting tomorrow at noon and we have friends who will be in the middle of it.
I have been through several hurricanes since I grew up in Charleston ,SC and lived in Houston for 8 years but this one is troubling.
Maybe because there is more current information than in the past.

I have been through several hurricanes since I grew up in Charleston ,SC and lived in Houston for 8 years but this one is troubling.
Maybe because there is more current information than in the past.

And maybe many sideswipe that area but this one is coming in head on like a bullet.

Canon ball might be more like it! Right now it looks like NC will be severely impacted, though the forecast on landfall still has a good bit of time to change. It keeps turning a little bit more north each forecast so far.

Good luck folks - going to be a lot of rain.

Stay safe, all you in the path of Florence. Keeping my fingers crossed it takes a hike over water instead.

@Rookie said:
Stay safe, all you in the path of Florence. Keeping my fingers crossed it takes a hike over water instead.

Most folks seem to know to evacuate. But, I am seeing some “brave” folks on the news saying they are going “to ride it out.” I think there will be loss of life for sure.

sing

My wife and I moved from New Jersey to SC three weeks ago and now we have Hurricane Florence threatening. But we are lucky this time as it has moved north of us and the mandatory evacuation for Beaufort County has been lifted. Just to be safe we removed our kayaks from the storage racks up by the Colleton river and put them in our garage.

Good luck and best wishes to all in coastal NC.

Florence has grown in size to cover both of the Carolina’s and much of Georgia’s land area, and it looks like it will. The current tracks will put the storm over SC after landfall. I am 150 miles from the coast. That doesn’t feel far enough looking at the storm tracks. It also looks like it might stay just off shore when it gets to NC, and then slowly follow the coast south west along SC. This could really devastate coastal areas. Looks like we will get days of high wind and rain. We are still a couple of days away and things are constantly changing.

http://www.myfoxhurricane.com/storm2_models.html

This summer we took down 4 very big trees 3 of which were in danger of falling in a storm. Very thankful that is taken care of. We still have two tall massive pines that could potentially hit the house if they fall, but they are healthy. They are also my biggest worry. I suspect we will be without power for days.

NOAA/The National Hurricane Center has lots of maps and data too…

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/092830.shtml?radii#contents

Even shallow rooted large healthy pine trees are prone to wind throw in high winds with saturated soil.

Depending on the winds I will leave the house and stay with my son. They don’t have big trees. Growing up in FL my Dad would not allow large trees near the house. Very common to have big trees next to the house here in the Piedmont of the Carolinas.

Kfbrady…Now they are predicting she will turn south once she hits NC and go down the coast to SC. Charleston is in the path. Won’t hit there till Sunday.

Don’t turn your back on this one.