"Florence"

This is the link to the current modeling of the storm track. It looks like my 18 month old granddaughter took her crayons and tried to color in SC . The first impacts along the coast of NC will be horrendous, but staying just off the coasts of the Carolina’s will let the storm surge impact through several tide cycles while there is constant wind and rain. I really hope it rapidly weakens!

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone#contents

Looks like she’s going to Florence SC.

I can relate well to a hurricane storm surge.
Last year at this time we were salvaging the remains from our one year old 40 foot long totaled travel trailer which was on the coast of Key Largo where Irma sent a five foot surge through the RV park.
The people who decide to ride through this do not realize what the after math is like for not only weeks, but months.
Visualize the soupy mixture dregs of salt water, motor oil, gasoline, septic tank crap, garbage, dead fish, dead animals and other detritus that coats every thing and this is what they will be up against.
Their electrical panels and devices will work for a day or two and then a week or so later after the drying out, corrision sets in and they short out and all must be replaced.
If their house isn’t destroyed , the black mold (which is deadly) starts immediately and unless the entire floor and wall insulation is removed and the framing cleansed with a bleach solution or completely replaced the dwelling is unlivableand has to be replaced
The Weather Channel never mentions this, but should, and perhaps more of the diehards would leave as they are advised to.

We were lucky, got our salvageables and got back to our mountain house, but I saw lots of heart brake when we returned a few weeks later.

I bought this house because it is surrounded by huge oak trees. We’ll see. We have been in a very dry period, so that will help keep the trees in the ground.

Not to mention the piles of stinking debris piled high along the roads for months. Construction materials, furniture, old mattresses, appliances, glass and whatever all has to wait to be picked up.
Expect flat tires.
Expect hating ins. companies.
FEMA helps a lot of people, go online early (like today while you still have power) and register an account.

Seems Cape Fear is remaining in the thick of things. Good luck to everyone in its path!

@CapeFear said:
Seems Cape Fear is remaining in the thick of things. Good luck to everyone in its path!

Take care - still hoping the darn thing stalls and collapses.

Yes Cape Fear has been in the crosshairs for awhile now. Be safe, and I wish y’all the best.

After Irma last year, parts of my yard were like quick sand. Then I had the lake in the back. The lake is rectified after I had a 50’ trench dug. Good luck

This was posted on a sailing forum. I wish there was a link.

“Massive waves of up to 83 feet were measured inside the storm on Wednesday, the National Hurricane Center’s Tropical Analysis and Forecast Branch said, citing satellite altimeter data.”

@string said:
I bought this house because it is surrounded by huge oak trees.

Have they been trimmed of suckers?..so the wind will pass thru.

.> @castoff said:

This was posted on a sailing forum. I wish there was a link.

“Massive waves of up to 83 feet were measured inside the storm on Wednesday, the National Hurricane Center’s Tropical Analysis and Forecast Branch said, citing satellite altimeter data.”

Not SA; Virginian Pilot:

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/weather/storms/article_d9f9f9c6-b69d-11e8-b9b5-0f7f1fe895de.html

Thanks Rookie!

Trying to imagine how tall an 83 ft wave is.

Our house is a 3 story–1900 build and rough guess counting foundation height, 10 ft ceiling on 1st floor, 9 ft on the 2nd and 8 on the third plus joists and ceiling to peak on the third we are only at about 35-38 ft tall.

My feeble mind is blown away.

Hmmmm…a cubic foot of water weighs about 62 lbs. So imagine what a column of water let’s say 2000 foot square - the footprint of a medium/small house - and 83 foot tall weighs.

In this case I think I’d rather not do the math but the power of nature is indeed awesome!

83ft offshore
At the coast much shorter

@Overstreet said:
83ft offshore
At the coast much shorter

Even for some of the stronger but within “normal” nor’easters, we getting some majoring flooding of our low lying coastlines. As usual people talk about “riding it out” until the the crap hits the fan and they are on the phone begging for someone to endanger themselves to come rescue them.

I find the abdication of the responsibility and consequences of one’s choices is pretty frustrating in these situations.

sing

I realize that the 83 ft is offshore, its a mind boggling thing (for me anyhow) to imagine the force needed to create such waves.

It was + 30 ft seas that the Fitzgerald sunk in and we lived in the Soo then and recall the storm.

Yes, I think we all know that super high waves don’t occur in shallower water, but it’s still an impressive statistic.

I wonder if an 83’ wave has an 83’ trough.