"Florence"

LOL! I suspect that being measured from satellite It may be a trough to crest measure? HIIK?

The waves in that storm that “The Perfect Storm” film was based on were around 100’. I remember the CG showing the fishing boats going over the tops of those waves. Really chilling.

This video shows pilot boat sea trials in “only” 33 foot waves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx71dVbYCF4

And the 1958 Alaska tsunami produced a 1,720 foot wave!

It is still the largest wave ever recorded.

@Overstreet said:

@string said:
I bought this house because it is surrounded by huge oak trees.

Have they been trimmed of suckers?..so the wind will pass thru.

The wind keeps them fairly clean.

Good to see you’re still online string. While it doesn’t look like a pleasant weekend, help is on the way if not already staged nearby.

Geez, so many Pnetters in that region.

Good luck to all of you!

Yep pikabike I am also in the crosshairs but 110 miles from the coast up in Columbia SC area so flooding is our biggest concern. Willowleaf I bet that video is from the Columbia River bar off the OR/WA coast. Its vicious in the winter as I lived in Olympia WA for 11 years and learned all about it.

Some of towns in NC will experience 3 to 5 high tide cycles.

I too was thinking the video was shot at or near the Columbia River mouth. The maritime museum in Astoria had an exhibit about bar pilot boats that were designed to right themselves after a capsize. Talked to the wife of one pilot who had just returned from a brutal test run.

I remember the measurement sticks installed all over Tybee showing what would be underwater with varying levels of sea surge. Scary stuff. No wonder houses wre built with the living quarters on the second floor (basically carports on the ground level).

@pikabike said:…No wonder houses wre built with the living quarters on the second floor (basically carports on the ground level).

That is code requirement for the lowest “occupied” floor must be 1 ft above the 100 year flood.

Just watched a video taken at New Bern, NC showing waves you could surf…in the streets. Storm surge from the Neuse River, I guess. Just horrible.

Well, it’s the north side of the storm that gets the pounding, and the surge.

Yesterday on Hilton Head the beaches were open for swimming! There was some cloud banding in the sky at dusk last night but no winds or rain…yet.

One of the great pics

Yeah, what a shot.

Well the center of circulation will be over me some time in the next 3 hours. The wind and rain is mostly gone, and the sustained tropical storm force winds are also history. Saturday was 12 hours of rain and winds gusting to storm force. So we were lucky to not get the forecast of worse conditions. When Florence slowed down to a slow walk it blew out the storm force winds before reaching us. It is still raining north of us . North Carolina is covered in rain from the sea to the mountains still. I wish them a speedy recovery. I am also impressed with the overall accuracy of the predicted land fall and path of the storm.

North of you, I’m guessing we’ve had 2-3 inches in the last 24 hours. Not much wind.

Horrendous damage to NC and parts of SC. Still raining and flooding. Yet I am experiencing the calm center of circulation, while all this is still happening. The same eye that battered the NC coast. I just happen to be far enough away, and in the quadrant with less impacts for which I am thankful. North and east of us will require all the help they can get. So many have already come to help. The clean up of flooding will be immense, and the loss immeasurable. The evacuations undoubtedly saved lives.

Good to hear you’re doing well so far, castoff. Hope that continues and that CapeFear and other members of our paddling family here aren’t severely impacted.

Just got off the phone with my sister-in-law. Her daughter lives Wilmington but moved out to be elsewhere for the storm. My brother and his wife in Durham area. Other relatives in other impacted areas.
The various family members are accounted for and OK, though at times it is very close. Like the next house isCflooded.
But as castoff says there are areas that are very bad, big areas. And what hasn’t been mentioned yet is the farmers, crop and hog farmers. Huge losses there.

@Celia said:…
…And what hasn’t been mentioned yet is the farmers, crop and hog farmers. Huge losses there…

And environmental issues from holding ponds. But there is a lot of “flushing” action.