Folbot folding boat parts

A friend asked to see if I could fix her “canoe”. What appears to be the number 7 cross frame is broken (in the lower right corner of the picture). Can anyone identify this craft (year and name)? Does anyone know where I can get parts? If no, has anyone had success fabricating a cross frame?
Thanks,
Bill

1 Like

Probably a Greenland II tandem. There is a guy on Foldingkayaks.org who is parting out what looks like the same model and has all the ribs intact. Since he only wants $250 for the whole thing she should be able to get the one for a reasonable price, maybe $30 to $50. But I’d be tempted to buy whatever he has left for backup if I owned her boat. The skin on his is trashed – getting all the frame parts for that price is a deal. Your friend should be able to locate the serial number somewhere engraved or printed on the skin and that will indicate year and model. I don’t think they radically changed the later Greenland II’s once they started using the plastic ribs.

Seller wants to get rid of these fast so it would be worth getting in touch soon to match up serial numbers.

People have sometimes replicated ribs by cutting the shape from solid HDPE plastic (the same stuff used for kitchen cutting boards).

http://www.foldingkayaks.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8870

Thanks my friend. Very helpful!
Bill

You’re welcome. (I’m one of the few folding kayak geeks on these forums.)

The older Folbots used marine plywood for the ribs It should be fairly easy to make one from a good grade half inch plywood by using the parts of the broken one as a pattern.

1 Like

I’ve got the same one and I’ll probably sell for 250 as well if you or anyone else is interested

1 Like