Folding Chair

Thank’s all for the info… I will see what I can get my hands on.

We have been quite happy with our REI version:

REI Co-op Flexlite Camp Chair | REI Co-op

I made sand supporters out of some cedar, work well:

3 Likes

Sit on ground, lean against tree. Cheap, weighs nothing. I have never used a chair backpacking or kayaking but started to reconsider for kayaking after dealing with numerous and sundry joint issues. After all I’ve now learned, I lack proper judgment in deciding to sit down and likely lack the requisite skillset to stand back up.

I stumbled upon the Nemo Moonlite chair which I’m considering among the REI and Helinox versions. What appears unique to the Nemo is the use of forged aluminum hubs which should stand up to abuse better than plastic and a ball and socket to connect the tubes to the fabric. Just under two pounds, heavier than some.

Next trip involves a 0.6 mile carry which isn’t bad but I was looking at losing a couple pounds of tent weight, now adding it back on with a chair.

Mine does double duty and only takes a minute to remove. Very comfortable in and out of the canoe and started out as a Walmart stadium seat back. I cut all the clamps and stuff off the base. :canoe:

1 Like

Was very sceptical of buying a chair but having used my wifes chair, which she purchased at REI, I have been convinced of their benefits. I have an REI one as well, I have used it frequently in areas as diverse as Baja and Greenland as well as frequently in my local waters. After 4 years use it is as good as new. Highly recommended

1 Like

I like the idea of aluminum hubs.

GregofDelaware nice rig.

Hell I take a chair backpacking, Helinox.
For most boat trips a more substantial chair and a roll-up table.

1 Like

Still like nice lumpy rocks.

1 Like

Just sat on a lumpy rock while my grandson and Honey played in the woods. Good rock, beautiful day.
Spring is here.

Good rocks are nice to find.

1 Like

The last five years or so, my backpacking/flyfishing “base camp” is NOT complete without my folding chair (this time with Big Agnes):

Of course, all the hiking would be useless with out my flyfishing equipment (2 Tenkara rods and a small tackle bag):

Love chasing backcountry trout. :slight_smile:

Still “young enough” to pack the bag and hike in BUT “too old” to sit on some log, or pad on the ground. Pampering my older bones and body is okay. :slight_smile:

sing

9 Likes

Trekololgy with the sand cover. Inexpensive, comfortable, lightish weight and durable.

Maxi Trac Folding Chair. Sold at NAPA auto parts stores or online. Strange source for such a useful camping item.
High firm back makes it more comfortable than most others.Folds up into a very small package (see the storage bag in second image). Goes together easily, very stiff taut fabric.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_MTCHAIR

3 Likes

I use one of those as well. Fits great behind the skeg box on top of my tent poles.

@yknpdlr, any idea how much it weighs?

No idea what it weighs other than extremely lightweight. Look at the picture, how heavy could a few sections of aluminum poles and a bit of fabric weigh? I stiore it at my camp with no scale… oh wait, I have a kitchen food scale.

Including the carry bag, it weighs 2196 grams = 76 ounces = 4.84 pounds. about twice the Helinox, but it is twice the chair with excellent butt elevation off the ground and high back support. Hope that is llight enough for you. I would only use any kind of “chair” just for canoe camping. For backpacking I use a foam pad on the ground.

1 Like

I got this one off of Amazon a couple of years ago. I like a tall back so I can put my head back.

KingCamp Ultralight Camping Chair Portable Compact Folding Chair with Cup Holder and Storage Pocket, ONLY Weighs 3.7lbs https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08LGY1RYG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_Q7K8GZN1RY9YWHQYVNJ0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Alps armless folder is sturdy, less expensive, good for posture. We carry two on most trips.

The Alps are easy to rise out of–more an issue now with aging

1 Like