Folding Chair

The last five years or so, my backpacking/flyfishing “base camp” is NOT complete without my folding chair (this time with Big Agnes):

Of course, all the hiking would be useless with out my flyfishing equipment (2 Tenkara rods and a small tackle bag):

Love chasing backcountry trout. :slight_smile:

Still “young enough” to pack the bag and hike in BUT “too old” to sit on some log, or pad on the ground. Pampering my older bones and body is okay. :slight_smile:

sing

9 Likes

Trekololgy with the sand cover. Inexpensive, comfortable, lightish weight and durable.

Maxi Trac Folding Chair. Sold at NAPA auto parts stores or online. Strange source for such a useful camping item.
High firm back makes it more comfortable than most others.Folds up into a very small package (see the storage bag in second image). Goes together easily, very stiff taut fabric.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_MTCHAIR

3 Likes

I use one of those as well. Fits great behind the skeg box on top of my tent poles.

@yknpdlr, any idea how much it weighs?

No idea what it weighs other than extremely lightweight. Look at the picture, how heavy could a few sections of aluminum poles and a bit of fabric weigh? I stiore it at my camp with no scale… oh wait, I have a kitchen food scale.

Including the carry bag, it weighs 2196 grams = 76 ounces = 4.84 pounds. about twice the Helinox, but it is twice the chair with excellent butt elevation off the ground and high back support. Hope that is llight enough for you. I would only use any kind of “chair” just for canoe camping. For backpacking I use a foam pad on the ground.

1 Like

I got this one off of Amazon a couple of years ago. I like a tall back so I can put my head back.

KingCamp Ultralight Camping Chair Portable Compact Folding Chair with Cup Holder and Storage Pocket, ONLY Weighs 3.7lbs https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08LGY1RYG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_Q7K8GZN1RY9YWHQYVNJ0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Alps armless folder is sturdy, less expensive, good for posture. We carry two on most trips.

The Alps are easy to rise out of–more an issue now with aging

1 Like

Which Alps Mountaineering chair? They have several armless chairs.

I don’t recall which model but it was the least expensive. REI lists them for $55.

I’ll second (or 3x?) the Big Agnes Skyline UL.
I chose it because I found its comfort to be the best for my frame (5-10” 167 +/-). Yes there are lighter models out there. Or chairs that have slightly smaller packed/folded size; but let’s be honest, I/we are paddling, not ultralight thru-hiking/backpacking.

@ the end of the day—after paddling for 10-12 miles on the river, for two or even three days in a row— I prioritize comfort above all. & the B.A. Skyline UL had the best combination of seat height, width, seat back rake/angle/height, & quality of materials.

That said, I’ve been eager to get my hands on the new NEMO Moonlight. I LOVE Nemo’s product engineering, craftsmanship, & ingenuity.

I have the Helinox with the high back and the removable rockers. It works well in sand. Bought it on sale when they were changing the design. I also like the high back. The link shows the chair but not the rockers. I also have a small REI light weight one for back packing that I rarely use.

Chair Two | High-Back Chairs | Helinox

Oldboo,
We just bought a couple of Big Agnes - Big Six chairs on sale for $90 through REI Co-op. (They list for $150 but when you add them to the cart the sale price shows up.) The Big Six chair had the right mix of high back, higher seat position, no plastic in the leg connections, and they fold up fairly small in their own carry bag.

They’re a bit uncomfortable against your thighs after sitting in them for a time but we just set our Crazy Creek chairs in them and it’s a very comfortable combination. The Crazy Creek - Original model is just about the same width as the Big Six seat so they work well together.

Just another suggestion.

Thanks. I like the look Big Agnes. As long as I can fit it my rear hatch It would be great. I don’t have REI outlets in my area so anything I get will most likely be buy then try.

Do you have a NAPA near by? Why not try the more comfoftable Maxi high back chair for ~$30?

I just bought one "cus your endorsmet, need to pick it up tomorrow

That is the same with Helinox. Basically, it’s lightweight material stretched over an alloy frame. In my picture above, if you look closely, you can see my Hydroskin pants draped over the seat from front to over the back rest. This gives some cushioning and insulation. When it’s really chilly, I line the bottom of the seat with the inflatable pillow and/or towel.

sing

Looking at the pic of the Big Agnes chair mentioned, the seat seems angled downward even more than other similar chairs, so I can see how it would get uncomfy behind the thighs.

Have one close by. Will go see if they have any this week. For that price I can buy ten for the cost of some of the others.