Folding Chair

My local NAPA did not have any in stock, but they could order as many as I wanted. I had my chair 2 days later. Do it that way and there is no charge for shipping.

PaddleLite,
There are darn few products that I couldn’t find ways to improve. :smile: The Big Agnes chairs are fine as long as you don’t stretch your legs out. But who doesn’t do that when they’re relaxing?

We thought about attaching a band of polyester/nylon canvas wrapped around a strip of closed cell foam to pad the seam along the front edge of the seat. We even experimented with a couple of ideas I had and it seemed it would work well. But the Crazy Creek chairs are a great solution. They provide additional support and padding for your thighs so the Big Six chair becomes a deluxe, very comfortable camping chair. We always take our Crazy Creek chairs with us camping or canoeing so it’s not something else to have to bring along.

1 Like

They are on the US website. Can’t get them locally.

If you search Amazon or eBay for “backpacking chair,” you’ll find many options for under $30. Most weigh about 2 lbs. High-back versions obviously weigh more. My (high-back) chair looks almost identical to the NAPA version pictured above and weighs 2 lbs. 11 ounces without the stuff sack. It’s light enough that it’s good for river trips. I wouldn’t take it if I had to carry it any distance.

I went to REI a couple of years ago and tried a bunch. For me, the Eno Lounger had the best combination of comfort and size. It’s not the least expensive and I think it might have a couple more connections to make during setup but still pretty easy. Mostly I bought it because I found it was the most comfortable. I can fall asleep in it pretty easily. As an aside, it looks like they have a really nice hammock and hammock accessory line as well.

I have the ENO double best hammock and bug screen. They are pretty nice. I have never looked at their chairs but I will because I do like their stuff.

I use the full ENO hammock setup, but there are lots of other good hammock options out there. I used my ENO recently on Lake Joccasse with lows of 28F.

I have a Hennessy ultralight hammock for backpacking in warm weather.

My ENO set up on the Jocassee trip. The chair is the Helinox with rockers, but I left the rockers home to save some on weight. They work great on sand and soft ground.

Friends Hennessy setup on the Jocassee trip.

1 Like

I use all ENO gear for my setup but I got a Wise Owl rain fly because it was a bit bigger and a lot cheaper than what ENO had.

1 Like

Sounds like a wise choice. :wink:

1 Like

I see what you did there…lol.

If you give a hoot about rain flys.

groan…lol

I see you added Tenkara rods to your extensive fly rod collection. I really enjoy mine for the portability and simplicity. Ideal for backpacking or to have with you just in case you want to fish.

I think my SIL would fish a puddle if he thought he could catch a fish. I gave him a 12’ tenkara rod and added gear for his birthday 3 years ago . This is his first catch with it on our pond.

I like the Coleman director’s chair. They are easy to get out of. There are other brands that may be cheaper.

I LOVE tenkara! I’ve been flyfishing for 40 plus years and discovered Tenkara for the past three years. The simplicity and minimal gear approach really complement backpacking. Plus, in the past 20 years, I have become strictly a nymph fisher. So, again, Tenkara lends itself to that well with the kabari/wet flies. I have added on some Keiryu rods to handle the weighted nymphs in faster and deeper runs that are characteristic of the Upper Androscoggin River in northern NH.

sing

I have been using a Kermit chair for years, expensive but a great product.
I use the chair on motorcycle, canoe, and camping trips.
Stores pretty small and just takes a couple of minutes to assemble .
When my kid was smaller, I would put it in the center of my Penobscot for a third seat.

I got my chair. Helinox Chair Zero. My wife just completed a whirlwind tour of Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Massachusetts so I obviously insisted she go to REI for me.
I just set it up and sat in it. It is pretty comfortable but my winter weight has my brain saying this shouldn’t work.

For backpacking Helinox chairs.
For everything else REI chairs. They come in sage green, they are insulated, they do not have a sling back which is hard on the spine. They unfold like regular old chairs, wooden arms, $90.