Folding or modular touring kayak on $2000 budget

Hello everyone. I’m a novice kayaker who’s looking to buy my own boat in the near/medium future. I’m probably going to move into an apartment soon, so I’d like my kayak to be portable. Also, since I’m still new to the hobby, I want to keep my budget around $2000, but I also want a performant boat that I can keep using as I grow my skills. I’m looking to kayak in rivers and open waters (Great Lakes), and coastal seawater in the future.

I’ve done some research and there are only a few foldables and modular boats that fit the criteria. For foldables (I’m talking about skin-on-frame, not origami boats like Oru), the only one under $2000 is the Quest 150 from Pakboats. As for modulars, the options are Pakayak and the Point65 Mercury (now replaced by the Mezcal). All these boats have different trade offs, so I’d like to ask the experts here some questions so I can understand which one fits my needs the best.

• Portability: One of the advantages of foldables is that they can be carried in one bag. Modulars other than Pakayak require 2 or even 3 bags. How much extra do you need to pay to check the extra bags onto a flight? Can you bring them with you on public transit? I’m in my 20s, so I’m not actually too concerned about the weight.

• Maintenance: I’ve heard that foldables need to have the skin washed and dried after every disassembly. How long does that take? How hard is it to wash and dry the boat if I live in a condo or apartment? What’s the overall maintenance overhead?

• Performance: I’ve heard that all three of the boats I mentioned can go fast and track fairly well, so I’m more concerned about manoeuvrability. Is it possible for the paddler to “wear” the kayaks (this is especially important, since it’s basically impossible to “try before you buy” these boats)? How rollable are these kayaks? I know that Pakayak is pretty bad in this aspect, due to it’s roomy cockpit and high back, so I’m more curious about the Quest and Mercury.

• Accessories: Modulars all come with bulkheads, but for foldables you need to put float bags in the front and back of the boat. Do these float bags compromise the ability to store supplies inside the boat? Does the Quest need any other accessories other than the float bags and footrests?

• Skirt: The Quest has a “pointed” cockpit combing that’s different than the keyhole combing of most other kayaks, and all the spray skirts I’ve seen have the keyhole shape. I know that Quest sells their own skirts but they’re nylon and I’d like to use a better neoprene skirt in the future. Is the Quest’s cockpit combing compatible with any other skirt on the market?

If there’s any factor I missed feel free to let me know.

Folding/modular kayaks do have limitations as compared to 1-piece hard shell. I do live in a condo in a city and only place that I could store a full boat is on the roof of my car. At various times I have had Advanced Elements Inflatables and a Trak Folding Kayak. But in the end I have gone back to hard shell kayaks.

Alternates ways you could consider:

• finding an apartment with a place to store kayaks
  • renting a storage area to store kayaks - this is what I do. had a public storage near where I used to live for a while, and now have a place 2 blocks from my house in the basement of an apartment building. I pay $135 a month for a 15’ x 6’. Did have to switch to shorter kayaks and much of the space is filled with other toys than kayaks (bikes, etc.)
  • renting a spot on-water at a marina or kayak rental place. Usually a bit more expensive per boat, but you get access to water immediately without having to transport kayaks.
  • not buying a kayak but joining a club where you can take boats out whenever you want. Often gives you access to a variety of boats.

My concern with renting storage space is that it adds up quickly over time. Paying $135 per month for one year is pretty much the cost of a decent touring kayak. I’ve been using rentals for now, and will continue with rentals for at least another year before committing to my own boat.

1 Like

I have owned and traveled with Pakboat kayaks over the years so I will weigh in on the Quest. My Quest is the smaller 135, which they made for the first few years along with the 155, before redesigning the 155 a bit and dropping the smaller model. But it is still the same basic frame, hull and skin.

First off, it is wise to allow the skin to dry before storage – as with any item, you can get mold by storing something wet, but it is not hard to simply wipe off the skin with a towel and leave it draped over a railing or chairs until it air dries. That is really more important with inflatables than folders. If you have paddled in salt water, you should rinse it off, inside and out, with fresh water to prevent potential corrosion of the frame joints over time. I also use Boeshield T-9 lubricant on each joint when I set up my frames to protect against corrosion and sticking – not necessary if I know I will be taking the boat apart soon after use. That’s also true with hardshell kayaks (rinsing off sea water) – I’ve had to replace a lot of metal fittings on vintage sea kayaks that I have picked up used because the prior owners obviously left saltwater to dry on them over time. It’s also a good idea to not store the kayak set up for more than a month in storage, though since you are going to be storing it in your apartment, that doesn’t sound like an issue for you.

The baggage protocols have changed so much since I last flew (not since 2020) that you would have to check on them to know what you need to do to fly with your folder, I will say, having also owned heavier and larger folders (Feathercraft Kahuna and K-1 Expedition in the past and currently Feathercraft Wisper and Java) that the lightness and the compactness of Pakboats is much more manageable than those have been. When I took my 12’ Pakboat Puffin solo from the US to the UK in 2017, the entire 24 pound kayak, 4-piece paddle, PFD, flotation bags, sprayskirt, all my paddling clothing and even an inflatable roof rack system (for the rental car) fit easily into a regulation rolling duffel bag (62" unified inches and 48 pounds weight) and IcelandAir did not charge me at all for it. I towed that behind me while carrying the rest of my kit for the trip (street clothes and shoes, toiletries, etc.) in a backpack that converted to a suitcase that fit in the overhead compartment.

At 27 pounds, my Quest 135 has slightly longer poles so I have a larger rolling duffel for that which does exceed the “standard” 62 linear inches but can still be packed under 50 pounds with all I need for paddling except some of the clothing, which can go in a carryon. But even if your kayak and kit requires paying an “oversized baggage” fee, the usual $75 is still far less than having to rent a boat for a day or two at a destination.

As to your question about flotation bags reducing the storage, you can fully utilize the entire storage space in the hull by getting dry bags that double as flotation. These are a hybrid of the inflatable float bag and a dry bag: you fill them through a large opening with ypur camping gear, food, etc., then roll up and seal the opening and inflate the bag through the valve. having the packed gear fill the space excludes water from filling the hull in a capsize, which is the main purpose of float bags. Pakboat kayaks have inflatable skin tensioning sponson tubes inside the gunwales anyway, which add buoyancy and make the skin more taut to improve performance.

As for the sprayskirt, standard neoprene skirts are not a good idea for the Pakboat coaming – they put too much pressure on it and don’t hold well on the flat edge. Stick with a good coated fabric touring skirt that is a snug fit. PeakUK makes a lot of sizes of good fitting skirts. I can check and see if the one I use for my Wisper and two of my hardshell kayaks also fits the Quest (which is currently folded up in it’s bag.) A quality close-fitting fabric sprayskirt is perfectly adequate for most rough water touring and even rolling and deep bracing. You can also get or make a sea sock if you are concerned about water getting inside of the hull – I’ve used them in the past with my Feathercrafts, but find them awkward and a pain. I’ve never had a folder with flotation bags or cargo filling out most of the hull space take on more than a couple of liters of water in a complete capsize, which is not enough to affect stability and is easily pumped out from the cockpit.

If you are planning any overseas or remote trips where you want to take your kayak, a Pakboat will be more practical than the hard shell modulars, which require an oversized and bulky container which will surely require extra airline fees. And, as I mentioned above, you can transport a Pakboat in a rolling duffel which is easily pulled through an airport and onto ground transport until you can get your rental car.

Speaking of weight, I know you say that doesn’t concern you that much. but the difference between a 31 pound Quest and a 55 pound Mercury or 49 pound Pakayak is really significant. Either of the modulars will require at least 2 additional baggage fees rather than one – that’s $100 to $150 more expense per round trip flight, plus the awkwardness of juggling those 2 extra bags along with your carryon and/or other checked luggage once you land. I can take my packed Pakboat on a hotel or apartment building elevator or throw it in the boot of a taxi.

If you think of any other questions, let me know.

You’ve clearly done a lot of research and have excellent questions. Perhaps most important, you’ve got some clear priorities.

I’ve been sea kayaking 30+ years. I own, or have owned, doubles and singles in fiberglass, plastic (rotomolded) and foldables.

Portability- I’ve owned Folbots and Feathercraft boats in the foldable category. Both companies are out of business. The Folbots were tanks- slow, heavy and bulky but easy to assemble. The Feathercraft kayaks (I own 2 singles and a double) are very similar to a general touring sea kayak made from plastic or fiberglass boat in terms of speed and handling. They take more time to assemble, especially the older models. The singles were designed to fit into 1 bag which weighed 70 pounds. They were made back in the day when each checked airline bag could be 70 pounds. But with limit now being 50 pounds without incurring an over weight fee, you’ll need 2 bags to fly with one. I have done 5 trips using aircraft with a Feathercraft single (also 6 trips with doubles but won’t delve into those details). I could get the K1 Expedition kayak, all of the paddling gear and 12 days of food into 3 bags, each less than 50 pounds. How much you pay per bag depends on the airline and in some cases where you’re going to. International destinations are obviously more expensive. Look closely at the various perks offered by the airline that you will most likely use most frequently. For some airlines, if you have the credit card associated with their frequent flier program your first bag might be free. The Pakboat is lighter than a Feathercraft so you might be able to get by with 2 checked bags on an airline.

Maintenance. The modular boat would be far, far less work than a folding boat after a trip. The frames on folding kayaks are pretty easy to rinse if you have an outdoor faucet or even a bathtub. The skins need to be fairly clean and completely dry before you pack them away and that takes time. I do rinse my kayak skins, but that isn’t overly critical if there are any metal parts on the skin. If you can set up the boat in your apartment for a few days, even if you’re just partially assembling it, that would greatly speed drying. I use a fan to dry the inside the bow and stern of the the Feathercraft. Other maintenance involves keeping the skin pliable and water repellent. Look at the recommendations from the manufacturer. I use 505 (UV inhibitor) on the hull and Nikwax on the deck. Both are quick and easy and could be done in an hour or two on a nice day outside or even in your apartment if you put something on the floor to catch any drips. (Neither product would likely damage carpet or flooring, but its better to be safe than sorry.)

Performance. Generally the stiffer, narrower and longer a kayak is, the better it perform in terms of speed. Folding kayaks are generally considered slow, but how tight the skin is stretched over the frame makes a huge difference. The Packboat has inflatable sponsons so presumably the skin is quite tight. I’ve never seen one so I don’t know for sure. As for bracing, yes the folding boats are very poor in that category since they need to be wider than solid boats to be structural sound.

Accessories- If you’re going to fly with your kayak, seriously consider a 4 piece paddle. A regular 2 piece paddle is a challenge due to its length. I made a custom bag for 2 piece paddles since quite a few of my trip are with other people- all of our paddles go into that bag plus extra gear to get the bag to 50 pounds. I’ve never used flotation bags since I’m doing 7-14 day trips with lots of gear. I’ve never capsized a kayak. The only time I’ve had a flooded cockpit was doing surf landing when a wave or wave hit the boat while I was trying to either launch or land. I used to carry pump but find that a collapsible 2 or 3 quart pail is much faster for removing a lot of water quickly. You’ll also want a sponge to soak up water that you’ll get in the bottom of the boat. Go to a big box store and looking in the tile department for a big grouting sponge for a few dollars. The same sponge will be $20 at a outdoor gear store.

Spray skirt- A neoprene spray skirt is heavier, more expensive, harder to get around the combing and takes a lot more time to dry. I used one on one trip (rental gear) and hated it. IMO they are poorly suited for sea kayaks unless you’re doing rock gardening.

Durability is a downside to most folding boats compared to a rigid kayak, either fiberglass or plastic. The modular boat that you’re looking at would be much better for rocky areas or wavy areas when you need to run the boat onto the landing site.

The Seat- Perhaps one of the most important features since you’ll hopefully be spending many, many hour paddling. If your back is killing you within a few hours not much else is going to matter about the boat. Look closely at adjust-ability so it can adjusted to your prefer posture. Foot bracing is also an integral part of comfortable seat. All of my kayaks have had rudders. I wouldn’t even consider a boat if it doesn’t have built in adjustable foot braces.

1 Like

@willowleaf Thank you for your advice. I’ve been waiting for your reply since you’re familiar with the Quest. Can you answer my questions about the Quest’s performance? Specifically, how rollable it is and how well you can “wear” the kayak.

You mentioned “coated fabric” skirts. What material is that made of? I’ve only ever seen nylon and neoprene skirts on the market, and all of them are key-hole shaped. Do you need a separate type of skirt for “pointed” cockpits?

Also, how comfortable is the Quest’s seat and footrests over long paddling sessions? And do you have any experience with their thigh braces?

@StrayedAfar Obviously rock gardening and surfing are out of the question for foldables, but are rough landings OK? Or do I need to be gentle when it comes to landings. I’ve heard that advice for carbon composite boats.

I’ve heard that foldables are in some ways more “sea-worthy” than hard shells because the skin flexes under the impact of waves, making it more stable in rough waters. Also, all the kayaks I’ve been looking at are around the same width, since all the narrow boats are in a higher price range. At this point I’m pretty sure the Quest performs better than Pakayak, just from their shapes (correct me if I’m wrong on this). But I’m not too sure about how it compares to the Mercury.

A folding kayak is going to be less durable than a rigid boat. Plastic and fiberglass gelcoat will most likely just get scratched. The PVC or hypalon on a folder will be more likely to be cut or torn when hitting a similar sharp object like mussels, barnacles or sharp rocks. It is undesirable to hit the shore hard with any boat but if you’re doing a surf landing you have to accept the wear on the bottom of your boat. Finding a place with the least amount of wave break and a suitable surface (sand, small polished rocks, etc) would be the ideal situation if circumstances allow. I’ve passed on many a beach, with or without surf, due to a boat hostile landing surface. In many ways, a plastic boat makes the best “beater” if you do a lot of gnarly landings.

I wouldn’t take a folding boat over a rigid boat in rough water. A rigid boat is generally more efficient and responsive in the water. Although they flex, a lot of flexing in a folding boat will wear or damage the connecting points on the frame.

I’d never heard of the Pakayak until you mentioned it. Certainly an interesting ideal and great for break down boat. It looks way more intriguing than the Mercury. But that bag looks like oversize baggage to me. As far as simplicity, durability and easy of assembly I’d say it looks like a better choice than any of the folding kayaks. If you rarely do flying trips with your boat, the oversize baggage fee is an inconvenience, not a deal breaker. It looks well suited for day trips or a warm weather camping trip for a few nights. The Quest looks like the hands down winner for portability.

Since you’re just starting out, I’d look hard for any opportunity to paddle a kayak that you’re interested in. Even if you have to do quite a bit of driving and chew up a weekend to do it. Nothing beats getting your hands and eyes on a boat… and your rear end planted in the seat.

Looking for a used kayak is also worth considering. Although Feathercraft is out of business, you can find the various models for sale if you look. The Feathercraft website is still up so you can look at the range of boats that Doug Simpson built over the years.

Strayedafar has added some useful advice on the Feathercrafts and folders in general.

I will add that my folders (especially my 37 pound 15’ Feathercraft Wisper and the Quest 135) both have extremely comfortable adjustable seats with low enough lumbar supporting backs to enable efficient paddling technique and rolling. Both are reasonably narrow beam (24”) so they fit snugly enough for good control.

If you get a Quest, absolutely pay extra for the rigid footrest assemblies. Well worth it, easy to snap onto the frame and ptovide a solid base for a strong stroke. I have the thigh straps but have not used them yet. I am planning to take the Quest to skills camp in October so I will install them for that as we will be practicing bracing and rolling.

I disagree that hardshells are preferable to folders in rough water. I have akways found my folding touring kayaks, especially the Wisper and Quest, absorb some of the force of waves and rough water so that they handle better and feel more stable than my similar sized hardshells, so I prefer them for conditions. I do alternate between my folders and my hardshells (I have 4 of those, all sea kayaks, plus a Greenland skin on frame.).

I am less concerned with hull damage with the folders since the skins flex and they have sacrificial rubber wear strips and can be easily patched.

@StrayedAfar My main concern with Pakayak is the large cockpit size, requiring big foam blocks to get a good contact with the boat, as well as the high backdeck, which makes layback rolling techniques difficult. It also has no chines, so it’s hard to edge properly and is known for its poor secondary stability. The Mercury seems to be better in those respects, but I can’t really find any info on that boat.

@willowleaf Sounds like the Quest is a well-fitting kayak. One last question, do you have any concerns about the durability of foldables? How bad would it be to do a rough landing or be in rough surf?

I’m not familiar with every boat you mentioned, but I have experience with a couple of them.

A few years ago someone gave me a Pakboat for free and I wound up giving it away too, and very quickly! Way more trouble than it’s worth IMO. I didn’t think the setup was intuitive at all, and the air sponsons were all blown, which is apparently a common problem with them. Yes, I could have repaired/replaced them but that still wouldn’t have solved the wonky unintuitive assembly.

I’ve test paddled the Pakayak in some classes, and I really don’t like it even though I want to. It’s a very cool concept, but in order to pull it off I think they had to make some design compromises. My biggest quibble is that the cockpit is gigantic, and this makes it hard to have good contact for things like rolling or edging. The front of the cockpit is really high, and this can get in the way of strokes. At the same time the sides of the cockpit are super low, so forget about edged turns without a skirt… you’ll flood! The deck lines are also really flimsy and I’ve witnessed them break a couple of times during rescue practice.

There’s FB groups for Feathercraft and Folbot owners, I’d join up and see if maybe someone has one for sale. Just saw a Folbot for sale for $300 on FB Marketplace too.

I’ve got hard shells, but I’ll admit I’ve always liked the idea of owning a Feathercraft Whisper or Khatsilano, or a Trak 2.0 if I won the lottery. I think all of the added maintenance would drive me nuts though.

Here’s a pair of Feathercraft Kahunas + everything else you need for $1,200: Redirecting...

It sounds like you might have been given one of the 2007 Pakboat Swift 14 models (which were discontinued 15 years ago when they replaced that model with the Quests) since you describe the assembly as so difficult and the sponsons as having failed.

Pakboat had a production run of those that year where a shipment of vinyl coated dacron fabric they used for the sponsons and inflatable seats in the kayaks turned out to be defective. Within a few months, the coating delaminated drastically from the substrate fabric and leaked air through hundreds of pinholes.

As soon as the company began hearing about this they confirmed the failure, pulled the defective components from the boats in stock and offered free replacements to every buyer of the serial numbers of the affected boats who had registered their warranties. Problem was that many people fail to send in their warranty cards, and this is why you should always do so — otherwise they have no way of reaching a customer when a product recall or warranty issue arises.

I know about this because I bought 2 of those Swifts at a yard sale some years ago for a very low price. The couple selling them said they got them as a wedding gift and they looked as if they had only been used once. I only discovered the problem with them when I set both up and discovered they were slowly deflating. Contacted Alv at Pakboat and learned of the warranty issue but by that time they no longer had those parts to fit that old model since they had changed the design. Since I bought used and the warranty was never registered I could not expect to have them replaced anyway.

I was able to find replacement seats through a guy selling some from a rental fleet he was parting out, and I got vinyl material and valves to make replacement sponsons to fit. I did find the frame strong and well designed but complicated. Since I already was familar with Pakboats from already owning 2 models, It was easier for me than probably was for you but I can understand why they streamlined the design for the subsequent Quests.

Or you may have gotten another Pakboat model where a prior owner had failed to deflate the sponsons after taking the boat out of the water on a hot day. This is something you need to remember to do with inflatables – they can heat up in the sun on land to expand enough to rupture a seam. These can be repaired, though it can be a pain. I made that mistake with my first Feathercraft, a Kahuna, when I got distracted and failed to release the valve on one of the sponsons and it blew out several inches on a seam. The sponsons in Feathercrafts are much harder to access to repair since they are vinyl tubes that are slipped into fabric sleeves inside the skin and you have to turn one end inside out to remove and replace. But I learned my lesson from that.

I do agree if YLin could find a used Feathercraft in great shape, that would be a good choice. Since Feathercrafts were so costly, I have found that many owners took extremely good care of their boats. I bought both my Wisper and a Java (Feathercraft’s solo/tandem convertible inflatable sit on top kayak) used and the first owners had kept them in pristine condition despite using them a lot.

But I don’t think a Kahuna would suit Ylin’s performance parameters. I did enjoy my Kahuna for many years, but being relatively short and beamy, I eventually found it too slow. I visited Feathercraft’s shop in Vancouver on vacation in 2009 and they loaned my a demo Wisper for the day to paddle around the harbor and I was hooked. Bought one later that year and still have it. Being longer, narrower and having a Greenland style hull, it is faster, tracks better and is more “wearable” for control and rolling. Most of the Folbot models are also beamy and tend to be heavier than either Feathercraft or Pakboats. They do have more cargo space, being wider.

Addressing your durability concerns: my Pakboat Puffin 12 (the ancestor of the current Saco) is 20 years old, the Quest is 12 and the Feathercraft Wisper is 18 years old. I have used all 3 within the past year and none have problems with frames, skins or inflatable components. I have kept after the maintenance on them and stored them in dry, temperature stable places. Excess heat and moisture can eventually cause problems with the fabric so damp basements or garages that can get excessively hot are not the best storage sites for folders.

Back in my apartment days I hung my kayaks from the hall ceiling. Another time I hung them vertically on a north facing wall outside our balcony. However, these were 32 lb boats, not today’s 70 lb rotomolds.

My ex boyfriend bought a Pakboat XT15 and hung it from the beams of his living room ceiling because he was too lazy to take it apart. His cat figured out how to jump up onto it from the fireplace mantel, which resulted in some claw scratches to the deck, which did not affect function, and a lot of fur on the seat from the cat napping inside.

there are also two FC Kahunas for sale in Seattle, Washington (just posted today) that appear to be in pristine shape, $1250 each, if Ylin wants to consider that model.

I got a notification that you have a concern about spray skirts. Yes I meant vinyl coated nylon or dacron fabric skirts. Dacron is more widely used now as it is more UV resistant. As to fit, no it does not have to be exactly the shape of the cockpit coaming. I have used a Feathercraft and a Sbapdragon sprayskirt on my Quest — the pointed front is not severe enough to affect the fit of the stretchy rim of the skirt. Very few sprayskirts exactly match the many different dimensions of kayak models

I have used mulitple sit on top and sit in hard kayaks over the past 30 years and at this point I want a kayak that is lighter and easier to lift and an inflatable one that can be transported in the back of my SUV or pickup truck.

I quickly learned to value having a rudder on a kayak to stay on course when there are strong crosswinds. There are also advantages to using ones leg muscles as compared to arm muscles for propulsion. With my Hobie pedal kayak I could maintain a 6-7 mph speed for hours without being out of breath.
Having my hands free was also beneficial when fishing or using my camera for wildlife photography.

The best IMHO inflatable kayaks at this time are the ones from Sea Eagle and Saturn. The advantage for my use with the Saturn is that they have pedal driven models that are relatively light with a hull weight of 43 lbs and they are available with either fin drive or propeller drive and they sell for less than $1,000.

The Saturn have a motor drive option as do the Sea Eagle kayaks and it is a tooless 2 minute procedere to add the drive or remove it. Multiple Sea Eagle models are designed to work with the Bixby motors and battery packs that mount to the location where the removable skeg is mounted. Rudder options with some of the Saturn kayaks but not with the Sea Eagle.

Be aware that once you add a motor to a vessel you are in a whole new world of rules, regulations, and registrations in some states.

If the Pakboat sponsons fail, can’t you just use the blow up thingies that go in front and back, just like a canoe or white water kayak with no bulkheads?

No. The sponsons are pairs of long thin tubes that are between the frame and the skin. Besides adding some buoyancy, they mainly function to puff out and tension the skin so it has a tight and smooth outer surface to reduce drag in the water.

Here’s a photo of the inside of my Pakboat Quest, before putting on the deck. You can see the bottom sponson (my beta version Quest came with three sponsons on each side) inflated near the bottom of the hull and the other two, which I have not inflated yet, hanging between the frame and outer skin.

Without the tubes inflated the skin is wrinkled and slows the boat down considerably. having the flotation bags that you use inside the hulls of canoes or hard shell kayaks would not fix that.