food/drink holders

Very funny thread
You guys play rough - but all in good fun.

I will admit that when I read the OP’s post, I wondered if he was going to a drive-in or paddling.

food/drink holders
What a bunch of goofballs!! Maybe someone ought to tell Savage River Canoes to stop selling their lunch counters because we have dry bags and carabiners! They are so uninformed by golly!!!

I thought people actually liked to paddle here but I think too many like to look good while they float with their Tilleys on!

Never heard of a boat lunch counter

– Last Updated: Sep-14-16 10:58 PM EST –

so I looked it up. No images, just prices: $70 and $100. Crazy.

But then, I paddle a kayak and don't want anything on my foredeck (except my spare paddle and Forerunner). Unzipped pocket of my Tactic Pack works pretty well for holding an energy bar I may be snacking on. Any lunch would be packed in a hatch and is best enjoyed on a beach (where I can get to it). Can stretch my legs at the same time.

Different boats, different goals, different experiences, but the most important point is safety on the water. Kayaks and canoes do capsize.

Don’t feed the trolls people.
It just encourages them.

Hello?
You honestly think I/we secure the items in our boats so we “look good”?? That’s pretty silly.

Though not as silly as a canoe would look floating by with a tray of food displayed across the gunwales. Better be careful paddling around seagulls, is all I can say…

food/drink holders
Willow, did you really assume I was looking to put a whole tray all the way across my gunnels so I could breakout my food and eat like I’m at the kitchen table?

I’m thinking about a foot square tray secured behind the seat to hold a Gatorade type bottle where I can drink thru a hose and a small Tupperware container to hold a couple snacks and maybe lip balm. That’s not rocket science…

To call me a troll is laughable. I ask a legit question and get ridiculed. If you don’t understand a question, please ask or don’t add input. If that makes me a troll then I’d say your an idiot

Maybe…
you ought to try keeping a racing canoe upright, which is where you saw that lunch counter. Though one thing it is clearly not is anything like a tray.

maybe…

– Last Updated: Sep-15-16 8:41 AM EST –

I can and do keep a racing canoe upright and check the original post, the canoe is a Wenonah Minnesota II. That's not what I'd call a racing canoe.

It may not look anything like a tray but can you imagine the ridicule I'd get if I said "counter"? A tray is smaller than a counter and that seems to be way beyond comprehension, no? LOL

That was my point
So you are saying that you paddle a racing canoe successfully but are not familiar with the basic setups used in a tripping canoe. Like thwart bags and dry bags.

And that you rely on a water bottle rather than a hydrator pack for water while paddling.

The only way this makes much sense is if you racing experience is all in smaller ponds where they run basically short intro races for young people and people new to the sport.

That is exactly what it sounded like

– Last Updated: Sep-15-16 8:59 AM EST –

Again, if you are familiar with tripping canoe setup it was certainly not apparent in your original post. And you have no profile.

And you are being at the least unobservant. It obviously sounded like that to everyone here, including the guys.

Electrical cable around the thwart

– Last Updated: Sep-15-16 9:26 AM EST –

and a gate hook attaching a water bottle to the cable works to keep the bottle from rolling wildly on the floor where it eventually will be unreachable right under your seat. I think I noticed Camelback makes water bottles with long hoses so you don't have to wear the backpack thing.

Thwart bags work really well for holding snacks.. They stay put.

We do lunch in the boat sometimes when there is nowhere to land ( as in tying off to a mangrove to hold the boat in place)

I haven't seen a utility thwart/ dashboard for the MN II

In the bow is the biggest challenge. Most thwart bags are too wide to hang from that short carry thwart. But the thwart in back of the bow seat ought to be usable.

google camelback hydration packs if you dont mind wearing it. Doubt anyone will read this.. all taken up in a kerfuffle.

celia
I’m very aware of everything you mentioned, all I was asking was to see if anyone had a unique way of holding a drink and snack, simple as that. I don’t want to stop paddling to open a bag and take a sip of water every 15 minutes.

To your other point, PLEASE! post a picture of a marathon canoe racer wearing a hydration pack.

be forewarned
it’s hard to stop

http://pimpmykayak.com/images/HobiePA14.jpg

how do marathon canoests hydrate?
…and do they have to eat every 15 minutes?

Hydrator packs

– Last Updated: Sep-15-16 11:29 AM EST –

You are correct that racers tend not to wear them. But they do usually have a tube arranged to run from a water bladder somewhere in the canoe, which is not at all what you asked about. You asked about mounting a drink holder.

Hydrator packs are extremely common in a variety of sports, non-racing paddling as well as tour bicycling. For ex my Kokatat PFD has a hydrator pack designed to fit it. This is not at all a foreign thing and you indicated you not want to stop paddling.

The boat you are trying to equip is not, as you said, a racing canoe. Why would anyone assume that you were trying to outfit in a way more similar to racing when you did not indicate that you have any racing background or preferences?

This site gets a lot of newbie paddlers who are truly green and would seriously be asking for a tray to hold their Happy Meal. If you provide no useful information to discern that you not that case, you should not be surprised if that is the response you get.

You are annoyed because no one was aware of information which you never provided. This is self-inflicted.

I give up
Any idea what the platform up front is about?

Food drink holder
for an inboat lunch or keeping hydrated

Come to think about it I saw something like that pimp link on a canoe on Lake Superior.

Here is a picture

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/littleredcanoe/image007_zps0rm4acv1.jpg

looks like plywood.You cant see the straps that hold the board on the boat. They have snaps and the male end of the snap is riveted through the hull. You can do this with a MN II…

The boat in the picture is Kevlar.

The paddler is not a doofus… In about a week he will have completed his cross Canada paddle to raise awareness for Canadian veterans

Mike paddles 16 hours a day and its not likely he does a shore lunch. Access to food and water is imperative.

www.mikeranta.ca

Here is a better pic of the snap mechanism

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff298/littleredcanoe/image007_zps0rm4acv1.jpg

Love the dog
I suspect thee is storage rigged under the platform in the picture Slush posted, but it is really hard to tell. Looks like Mike’s dog owns that forward platform.

Spitzi is a super dog
Needs room. He is on the deck so far some 167 days (mostly. Right now they have had trouble with wind and tides on the St Lawrence and are walking rt 132 east of Quebec City… Heck of a portage.)

most days i eat a granola bar and apple

– Last Updated: Sep-16-16 5:53 AM EST –

the granola bar goes in my pfd pocket. the apple goes behind the float bag of my kayak. My water bottle goes inside the kayak, under a bungy loop where I can reach it after I loosen the spray skirt.

I get out of the boat onto land. I eat the apple and before getting back in the boat I pee.

I enjoy getting out of the boat to stretch and pee. I don't think I've ever been more than 15 minutes away from dry land on any of my adventures. If it's going to be a long day I pack a second granola bar in the pfd and wedge a second water behind a float bag.

My canoe has built in cup holders (m.r. adventurer 16). Beer cans fit in them real well. Remember: beer floats and pop sinks. So if you're going to capsize it is better to do it with beer and it is easier to catch the beer if you already have your pfd on.