food guide for paddling/camping trips

-- Last Updated: Jul-31-08 2:54 PM EST --

I thought I would use my knowledge of nutrition to benefit this forum:

we all need good delicous food or the cravings will build up to an uncomfortable level. but there are foods that may not taste very good, but are vital to keeping you suibstanained. even if you dont love the taste (I myself dislike it), peanut butter is one of the most nutritious, and healthiest foods out there. Peanut butter is loaded with unsaturated fats and protein, just what you need to keep going. I once ate a can of pea soup and a peanut butter sandwitch before a long kayak trip and I paddled 3 hours straight with no need of food and didnt even need to eat when I got home. when I dont eat PB before a kayak trip, I cant go near as long. When I have that stuff in me, I feel like the energizer bunny. But I know it doesnt taste good. I suggest having it with a source of carb such as a tortilla or as a sandwitch. Also, I suggest Cambell's Chunky sausage and chicken Gumbo, if you have a camp stove availible. This is pretty good, both nutrition wise and taste wise. But it has to be cambells, because the generics I've tried were bad. I know people have bad experience with indian food, but I love indian food. many people try one really bad curry and reject the whole idea but there are some very good indian curries out there. They are healthy, fill you up, and taste great. At whole foods, they stock a really good company called "Tastey Bites". I recomend their Madras Lentils (Really good, tastes alittle like chilli), and Bombay Potatoes, which is chcik peas and potatoes, and japour vegitables. try it at home first to see if you like it. You will need a dutch oven and camping stove to make this. just put the foil pouch into boiling water and wait alittle. It can be had with tortillas or rice. protein and unsat. fats are very important, and dried meats are good. also suggest nuts and beans. A can of baked beans is tastey and nutritious, and some mixed nuts wont hurt. its importand to have foods high in good fats and protein when you excersice ie paddling. Lastly, dont forget to hydrate. Caffeine and sugar pushes water out of you so water itself is the best way to go. and if you need to satisfy your cravings you can get what you crave but dont forget if you just eat what you desire and forget about eating vital foods you can get in trouble when your blood sugar drops, especially during paddling. Refined carbs will only last alittle while, then will cause your blood sugar to drop suddenly, which is why they should be had with protein and fat. remember, carbs are worse than fat.

list-
peanut butter
curry
chunky soups
beef jerky
baked beans
mixed nuts/trail mix
SPAM
Refried Beans
Old Fashioned Oatmeal

any other ideas for food out there??

Just open a can of Beanee Weenees
and have a spoon handy.

Paddlin’ on

G_K

yes beanie weenies is in there.

Any foods help with spelling?
“keeping you suibstanained”…

Man, that’s bad!!! Oh no, now the whole thread will be deleted… :-o

I like pretty much any sandwich, and a piece of fruit… hot soup in cold weather rocks too.

Spell check, just for you
I thought I would use my knowledge of nutrition to benefit this forum:

we all need good delicious food or the cravings will build up to an uncomfortable level. But there are foods that may not taste very good, but are vital to keeping you sustained. Even if you don’t love the taste (I myself dislike it), peanut butter is one of the most nutritious, and healthiest foods out there. Peanut butter is loaded with unsaturated fats and protein, just what you need to keep going. I once ate a can of pea soup and a peanut butter sandwich before a long kayak trip and I paddled 3 hours straight with no need of food and didn’t even need to eat when I got home. When I don’t eat PB before a kayak trip, I can’t go near as long. When I have that stuff in me, I feel like the energizer bunny. But I know it doesn’t taste good. I suggest having it with a source of carb such as a tortilla or as a sandwich. Also, I suggest Campbell’s Chunky sausage and chicken Gumbo, if you have a camp stove available. This is pretty good, both nutrition wise and taste wise. But it has to be Campbell, because the generics I’ve tried were bad. I know people have bad experience with Indian food, but I love Indian food. Many people try one really bad curry and reject the whole idea but there are some very good Indian curries out there. They are healthy, fill you up, and taste great. At whole foods, they stock a really good company called “Tasty Bites”. I recommend their Madras Lentils (Really good, tastes a little like chilli), and Bombay Potatoes, which is chick peas and potatoes, and japour vegetables. Try it at home first to see if you like it. You will need a Dutch oven and camping stove to make this. Just put the foil pouch into boiling water and wait a little. It can be had with tortillas or rice. Protein and unsat. Fats are very important, and dried meats are good. Also suggest nuts and beans. A can of baked beans is tasty and nutritious, and some mixed nuts won’t hurt. It’s important to have foods high in good fats and protein when you exercise ie paddling. Lastly, don’t forget to hydrate. Caffeine and sugar pushes water out of you so water itself is the best way to go. And if you need to satisfy your cravings you can get what you crave but don’t forget if you just eat what you desire and forget about eating vital foods you can get in trouble when your blood sugar drops, especially during paddling. Refined Carbohydrates will only last a little while, then will cause your blood sugar to drop suddenly, which is why they should be had with protein and fat. Remember, Carbohydrates are worse than fat.

list-

peanut butter

curry

chunky soups

beef jerky

baked beans

mixed nuts/trail mix

any other ideas for food out there??

Can you insert a paragraph or two?
I’ll bet you’re a product of our fine government schools.

just because I cant spell doesnt mean
Im a dumbass. spelling has nothing to do with intellegence- NOTHING. Spelling is simply a memory of letters in a pattern. True intellegence comes from your logic and judgement. The only accademic things that actaully has something to do with intellegence is physics and Mathematics.

Vegetables!
You can dehydrate almost all veggies and then you will not have any post trip cravings…

WHY is tripping equal to weenies I have no idea. If you eat it at home you can eat it on a trip.

Correct spelling IS evidence of…
… both judgment and logic.

My spelling is not perfect, because I make a judgment call based on whether taking the extra effort to work at it/check is logical and warranted or just anal and wasting time. This varies based on what I’m writing, and when, and for what audience.

I could argue that laziness itself is a form of intelligence. It can be if/when it results finding/creating more efficient/economical methods - but it’s still an argument with somewhat limited merit.

Using proper spelling, along with decent grammar and speech habits, will have people automatically thinking you are MUCH more intelligent than those who don’t. Smart or not, image is everything. Others have little else to go on.

Do what you want, but not matter how smart you may be, if you write like a “dumbass” you can pretty much guarantee your words will be read as if they were written by a “dumbass”.

Most here had to learn this stuff before there were free spell checkers available. Seems that the more tools we have to work with, the less actively/precisely/attentively/conscientiously we use them.

As for mathematics and physics being the “only” things intelligent - that’s a very limited and limiting view of “intelligence”. Machines can calculate that stuff. Most other things humans can do are a bit more complex and require creative intelligence (not that math and physics don’t too at certain levels), aesthetic intelligence, kinesthetic intelligence, emotional intelligence, etc.

(Spell check courtesy of iespell)

true
but I’ve never had a craving for vegatables–but I’ve been known to freeze a sirloin and cook it on the second or third night.

I can’t spell is BS
Put some effort in it, read, learn, do something about it.

English is not my first language and it’s far from perfect but I put some effort not to sound like a dumbass.

If you are lazy just use a spell corrector, if you are smart … learn how to spell.

Try the “Alfred Packer Guide to
Wilderness Provisions.”

Packer loved his fellow men.

wrong 140

– Last Updated: Jul-30-08 4:31 PM EST –

Like it ot not 140, spelling and grammar are both highly-ranked measures to others, of numerous aspects of you as a person. They provide insight into not your intelligence, but your value and effort of properly communicating. No different than going to your first job or college interview, and being dressed properly and looking clean. You may not agree, but poor spelling as well as poor clothing choice will cost you dearly on job applications/interviews. Like it or not, mispelled posts, letters, resumes, are viewed these days equally as laziness as much as lack of skill.

As a young person, you may have the atitude that bad spelling is your own business, but you don't live in an island. Through school and work, spelling and grammar in everything you do represents you.

Geeze (sp)
I thought this was about food??

You know, Martin, if you want your
ripostes to be more cutting, you should learn how to align them so that they refer to what you are criticizing.

This goes for some of the rest of you. If you are responding to the original poster, slide up there and use the response button that applies. Putting your response under some other turkey does not make you look smart or witty.

Nope…
It’s about spelling. The OP subject was a decoy.

Paddlin’ on

Richard

who informs you?
wrong again Pammie…peas are very high in sugar…(where you barfing over the side of the boat while eating pea soup and a pb sandwich…come on)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/495149/are_peas_healthy_.html

and unless you’re eating natural pb, your getting alot of sugar.

there are good carbs and bad carbs.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/good-carbs-bad-carbs

it is not only beneficial to eat the good carbs to loose weight, the good carbs stay with you longer and are high in fiber, where as the bad carbs just turn into sugar, which will raise your blood sugar.

next time try a whole wheat bagel with some tuna fish on it, lol…second thought , maybe you should stick with some chicken salad on that bagel. Especially when you’re paddling around Honolulu.

Your logic is correct…
… spelling isn’t the only indicator that you’re a dumbass.

Thanks, Greyak
You turned me on to ispell and I have been using it ever since

You Would Be Amazed Where
You would be amazed where you can get a pizza delivered, especially in a beach town like Santa Cruz.

I’ve also had pizza delivered to the campground at 7,000 feet in the Sierras