Front/Rear Tie-Downs - Curious

answer

– Last Updated: Aug-16-07 12:23 PM EST –

Most after market roof racks are placed close together on modern gutterless cars. Some after market racks can be placed far apart depending on the vehicle. In days gone by where rain gutters were the standard you could put the racks as far apart as the roof is long. On a van that's easily 8'. On a sedan with raingutters that's still farther apart than the average modern car with only door frame attachments.
The movement and leverage that a canoe or kayak can place on a fitting or attachment can vary considerably depending on how far apart the racks are on the roof.
So to the question that is without specific context to type of load or attachment there are some rack/roof combos that will allow less movement of the load and less movement usually limits potential failures.
For the average sedan with less than 3' spacing putting on at least one line is a good idea. For the widely spaced rack and one kayak it's less critical.
I used to transport one or two kayaks on a VW van, Dodge Van and Isuzu Trooper without bow/stern lines. On all those the racks were 6' or more apart. Once I loaded up with more kayaks I started using more straps/lines attaching the load directly to the car. Not just the bumpers but through the windows. When it came to canoes I always used bow lines and possible stern.
Now that' I've got a Subaru with less spread I use bow lines for freeway use.
Making blanket statements without recognizing the significant range of loads doesn't address the folks who don't know how to secure the loads to begin with, regardless of bow/stern lines.
I've seen people tiedown their rec. kaysk with bow/stern lines,,and bungies to hold it on the rack,,but, but, but it's got bow/stern lines!

Seems Like a Pointless Argument
Even though the end end tie-downs can help some boats keep from wig-wagging in the wind (such as canoes on racks with no gunwale blocks), they really aren’t under any serious stress UNLESS the main tie-downs or rack fail. At that point, I would think any normal person would stop the car before there was time for more stuff to go wrong.

zactly
you know that moment when you tie down on another persons car? “I got it”…

A lot of times I’ll just throw the strap over and let them do it. If it’s my car I’ll go around and check every one myself.

This is an area where folks get shy,“oh,we’re lumberjacks and we’re ok” and not want to take responsibility when not doing it solo.

This is something you figure out real quick working with folks in the kayak biz just as you would paddling in dicey conditions “can I trust you?”

Last thing you want driving a trailer down the road is see a half dozen plastic boats bounce off into the adjoining lanes at 65mph and have to say,“I thought my buddy tied them down”,or “I guess we forgot one”

slow down

– Last Updated: Aug-16-07 12:42 PM EST –

maybe the issue isn't you or your knots but the dynamic of the "we" that broke that perfect record. Having a line loosen up means it wasn't tied. If you are able to tie things down consistantly but this time it was different the issue isn't your abililty or lack thereof. A "we" doesn't drive the car so it sounds that no ONE checked all the lines.

except it’s not an argument
it’s a question.

I use 'em. Just wondering when the redundancy stops.

easy there mcfly
Don’t take it so personally. People were making the same point before you posted.

listen up, all you lazy …
Yes!

You do have the RIGHT to be a lazy-A and not add any extra lines.

You also have the RIGHT to have complete faith in your Boy Scout knot-tying abilities.

You also have the RIGHT to rationalize and defend your lazy-A behavior.

But keep in mind, everyone else has the RIGHT to sue your lazy-A when the big moment happens. And if someone else dies, you’re looking at involuntary homicide.

Now go do the RIGHT thing.

Thank you.

try this link
http://www.eurekareporter.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?ArticleID=27158

No it’s not me
And I have no idea why the implication that paddlers are drving drunk.

Front Tiedowns Always
Takes maybe a minute tops to add a strap or two on the front. Cheap “Insurance” IMHO. I do this for the same reason I wear my PFD, 'cause like rvwen and Bob illustrated, stuff happens. WW

involuntary homicide?
thanks for that gem O.J.

yeah, it’s really funny
Unless, of course, an airborne kayak comes through your windshield at 60 mph pointy-end first …

but then again
you’d probably be upset that someone turned your kayak into a bloody mess but you would probably feel the need to say you were “sorry”.

some of you people scare me …

but then again, in the immortal words of John Maynard Keynes: “In the long run we’re all dead.”

p.s. in confirming the author of the above quote I chanced upon an economics site discussing the death of John Kenneth Galbraith where I gleaned this great line I’d like to share:

“What a bunch of nasty, unpleasant comments by smug jerks.”

Perhaps it’s not just p-net with this problem?

your welcome

you know us all very well don’t you
(are you the church lady?)

Almost always use them
I almost always use them except maybe for a very short trip, less than five miles, at speeds less than 45.

If you don’t use them for the extra insurance and safety, maybe you’ll use them because it looks cool

Alright folks, let 'er rip :slight_smile:

wrong again
I gotcha now though.

Dr. Laura!

No tie downs
My racks are solid, and the method in which I tie the boats down is virtually foolproof. Additionally on long trips I’ll put my lassoo locks on the boats and put a few turns around the cross members of the roof racks before locking.

Andy

shrink wrap everything

Panic Stops
It seems most folks worry about the boat flying off at highway speeds.

I heard a story about some folks transporting an Old Town Tripper (17’ Royalex canoe- HEAVY) on a Mustang. Driving through town at less than 25 mph when a pedestrian, intent on enforcing the “stop for pedestrians” law stepped in front of them. They locked up the brakes and the Tripper, racks and all, kept going at slightly less than 25 mph, narrowly missing said pedestrian.

Man I would hate to get hit by an Old Town Tripper doing 15 to 20 mph!

Tommy