Garage storage for kayaks

We are pouring an epoxy floor in Gig Harbor and have four boats we wish to store.
It’s tight but any creative solutions? Can we put hooks from the ceiling in the back?

You can see the old hooks on the longitudinal far wall. Is there a better way? Two Solstice, one Skim Braveheart and the tiny canoe.:canoe: :thinking:

1 Like

Hang them from the ceiling. Looks like my floor same pattern. Suspenze makes some wall mounts also.

2 Likes

That’s great :smiley:

Eye bolts and cam straps have served me well for decades, for both composite and plastic boats.

2 Likes

Simple and nice

Did you need to do anything special to fortify the eye bolt screws into the dry wall?

Yes, they need to be in the wood trusses above the drywall, wouldn’t trust them otherwise. Studfinder helps.

2 Likes

I have a smallish garage. Hanging kayaks on a wall or from the ceiling makes getting at the circuit box and hydronic heat system awkward i.e. the kayaks must be removed from any permanent location. Instead I made an ugly, but functional framework from scrap wood. and put it on wheels. It holds 2 kayaks with room underneath for a 3rd. When I ‘needed’ a 4th kayak, I added a wing that held that 4th kayak. It rolls smoothly and can easily be moved out of the way. I also hang other gear (e.g. paddles, pfd, spray skirt etc.) from the framework.

3 Likes

I thought I have read that some manufacturers recommend at least 2 inch straps if hanging a composite kayak. You seem to be using the standard 1" straps. Comments?

I’ve always cradled my ceiling hung boats from trapezes (hung from rugged hooks screwed into the joists) made of 1" webbing or woven sheath rope that is run through 2’ to 3’ lengths of hollow hard foam pool noodle. Not only cushions the hulls but the stiffness keeps the loops open so it’s easy for me to slide the boats into the trapezes.

5 Likes

Good to know

I’ll probably be doing overhead so I can open my car door :wink:

These are 1.5" NRS straps, no problem with the 20 lb boat. For heavier plastic sea kayaks I have used 4 straps, but don’t have those now. You made me curious, I may look for 2" straps.

1 Like

Love this!

For tight storage, you could use ceiling hooks to maximize space. Make sure they’re strong enough to hold the boats securely. Another option is to use wall-mounted racks or brackets for the canoes and kayaks. This keeps them off the floor and frees up space for the epoxy work. Also, consider stacking or using a pulley system for easier access.

Everything is attached to the studs and trusses. Nothing is fastened to the drywall.

The pulley system is mounted on a “beam” fastened to three trusses. I lag screwed the beam to the truss bottom cord using framing angles, Liebig(SP). Make this better than you think is enough. Had one fall once. I have another mounted to truss in the two pulley locations.

The rack on the wall was a purchased item off internet. I have fabricated my own in another garage. The top kayak can be difficult to bring down . High up and some conflicts with garage door tracks.

3 Likes

Quality one inch straps should be sufficient for composite boats, especially if placed near the internal bulkheads.

I would suggest much wider straps for rotomolded boats especially if stored in an area that is very hot to reduce the risk of oilcanning the hull.

1 Like

That looks great. :+1:t3:

What I said is not totally accurate. It is EPIC that recommends 2" straps only for their polyethylene surfskis.

Not a garage, but both of these solutions can work - steel brackets with foam blocks to set the boats on, or a cart on wheels. There’s a lot more stuff in the shed nowadays…

1 Like

I have a very similar setup to the one shown in the picture. I have found it works very well.

Harken Hoist

2 Likes