Going to the can!

I’ve been using lots of canned food lately since it’s environment friendly and doesn’t leach plastics into my food. And I gotta carry the water along anyway. Is there any disadvantage?

It’s “dead” food . . .
The nutritional components may be there (most of them, except for some critical enzymes) but the vitality that you would find in live food (as in salads and raw veggies) is lost in canned food. A clue is to be found in comparing the flavor of canned food versus live food. Even frozen food is better than canned food (compare frozed peas to canned peas).

We eat some canned food, as on camping trips, making a fast meal, etc., but relying on it as a steady diet would eventually compromise our health. Canned foods on a camping trip, we understand, but not as a steady diet. There’s a lot of stuff written on diet out there - much more thorough than what can be shared here.

Taste is subjective
Angell wrote: “A clue is to be found in comparing the flavor of canned food versus live food. Even frozen food is better than canned food (compare frozed peas to canned peas).”

I far prefer canned peas to frozen peas. I won’t eat fresh peas, they taste like dirt.

Really you’ve got to be kidding right.
You mean the cabbage in canned sour kraut does not have the same nutrients as the cabbage in my fresh coleslaw?

I know red wine is bottled dead fermented grape and it still has lots of good flavinoids that are supposed to be good for you.

Are there any studies showing this. I have a alot of canned soups and veggies in my kitchen. And Tuna fish, salmon, sardines, oysters are these bad too?

What about vienna sausages I’ve never been on a camping trip without them. Can you go camping without vienna sausages?

Really you’ve got to be kidding right.
You mean the cabbage in canned sour kraut does not have the same nutrients as the cabbage in my fresh coleslaw?

I know red wine is bottled dead fermented grape and it still has lots of good flavinoids that are supposed to be good for you.

Are there any studies showing this. I have a alot of canned soups and veggies in my kitchen. And Tuna fish, salmon, sardines, oysters are these bad too?

What about vienna sausages I’ve never been on a camping trip without them. Can you go camping without vienna sausages?

just be careful how you say it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZX9Rv_2_C0

I didn’t say that
canned foods were “bad” (your word) for you - just canned and other processed foods don’t have the same vitality (life force, live enzymes, etc.)

Don’t ask me to explain this to you. Google something like “live food versus processed food,” or, “raw food diet” and find out enough for yourself to be able to have an informed opinion.

Btw, some fermented foods (you mentioned sour kraut) have a lot of health benefits. Reliance on them as a major staple in your diet will eventually compromise your health, though.

leaching
Some canned foods might leach metals into the food that are even worse for you than plastics - others may have a thin plastic coating inside the metal can.

Also, be sure to pack out the used cans (and plastics) - don’t try to “burn” them as some do by throwing them in your campfire. They release toxic fumes when burned at relatively low temps in a wood fire.

Simple solution -Don’t eat

– Last Updated: Sep-24-09 6:01 AM EST –

Just think of the weight you'll lose!

Also, stop eating natural foods, since many deaths are by "natural causes" !

Cheers,
JackL

In many cases the cans are
lined with a protective coating which is polymer based.

Plastic is also a polymer.

Dirt is good
I used to make my kids “worms in dirt” (gummy worms in chocolate pudding and crushed oreos).

Actually, your body needs the minerals and elements found in dirt.

So, eat dirt.

The biggest disadvantage . . .
. . . is that canned stuff is probably heavier. You ain’t gonna be eating much fresh or frozen in the woods so the “dead food” stuff is just BS. Folks go overboard. If leaching was a problem from food packaged in plastic or can lotsa folks would be dead.

Also most folks don’t spend a big part of their life camping out so even if the food you use isn’t as nutritionally complete, it’s not gonna make a big difference. You can eat organic when you get home.

Just one -
if you forget or lose your can opener! I usually have one of those little flat GI type openers as a backup, or at least a can opener blade on a pocket knife/multi tool.

BPA is frequently used in can linings

– Last Updated: Sep-24-09 1:02 PM EST –

.. so you won't avoid it by using cans.

On the other hand, the amounts of BPA leached into water or food are very very low (too low for most people to even understand how low they are) and that is why numerous governments around the world have deemed BPA not to be a health concern.

Of course, many people who have NEVER studied BPA don't agree with these findings. So these comments will not convince them.

The other issue is why exactly you worry about the small amounts of plastics leaching into food or water (typically in the ppb range).

If, for example, you're worried about cancer, the best risk indicators are level of exercise, obesity, diet (eat lots of fruits and vegetables), smoking, and age.

Exposure to synthetic chemicals, on the other hand, does not seem to be a significant risk factor for cancer (excepting working in aluminum smelters or asbestos facilities).

In fact, synthetic chemicals seem to be no more carcinogenic than natural chemicals: about 50% of both natural and synthetic chemicals cause cancer in rats or mice, but we aren't exposed to high enough dosages in the real world to be at risk.

None of this, of course, is intended to change people's minds about BPA.

P-38
Can opener. The greatest invention ever by the US Army. “Canned” C-rations were not . . .

canned beer
can’t go camping without that too.

advantage to canned goods

Only the most skillful raccoon can operate a can opener.

I don’t camp in bear country much, but I wonder how most black bears would do with cans. I’m sure some have learned that there is good stuff inside and don’t mind gnawing on a can, but I’d bet most would be foiled by a can.

Cans also make better ballast than freezedried stuff.

Taste IS subjective
Fresh peas are delicious. Canned peas taste like ass.

Cans: Bite to Open
Many years ago, when camping in Ontario, the family camped next door ignored the rangers’ advice to keep all their food locked in a vehicle. That night, a black bear came through and ransacked their cooler and food bins – which were sitting on the picnic table!

In the morning, we went over to survey the damage and, among other things, found a can of beans with two distinct (tooth?) holes punched into one end. The can was sucked dry.

Maybe Canadian bears don’t realize that “canned foods don’t have the same vitality” as fresh food, but they’ve apparently discovered that those small metallic cylinders are often full of bean-y, gravy goodness!

http://www.AquaDynology.com/

Delphinus

Taste like a&&… Really?
And just how is it you know this to be true???