Goodbye Eddyline Raven?

What’s the deal with the “new” Raven? It’s been moved to their discontinued models page on the website. This kayak was at the top of my short list for my next boat, I don’t get it. It just came out 3 or 4 years ago to rave reviews and was by many estimates their most acclaimed boat for enthusiasts. Granted, because of that it was never going to sell as many units as, say, the Carribean or some rec model but really, is it such a big deal expense-wise to keep it in the lineup. It just seems such a waste (and a disappoint) to ditch it after what looked like some extensive development. Add to that it seemed to offer a nice (and newer) compliment to the rather dated Fathoms. Are they bringing out a similar replacement model or will we just see another new “rec” offering?

Wow. That is really sad. The new Raven was outstanding and on my short list for a new boat. It does seem like Eddyline is backing off on its more serious boats. They seem to have settled into the Samba for little folks, the Fathom for medium sized folks, and the Denali for the more economy sized paddler (I will ignore the Journey because I don’t know anyone that really likes it). The sea kayak market has not been very strong in the last few years so I suppose their offerings must change. Not much use to make boats that no one wants to buy. Too bad because I think that Eddyline has made some of the best boats out of the best materials with some of the best workmanship in the market.

@djo
You forgot the Fathom LV, also for the little folks.

Glad I got mine when I did. It’s a great boat.

Soon they will have nothing over 12 feet long. I guess if nobody is buying them the mold apparatus is tied up. People want this color and that color so you can’t even just make a bunch for stock. I do think there seats are horrible hard plastic junk. Soon if you want something to paddle in you will go to the mason supply yard and get a mortar tub.

It was the ONLY kayak I liked in the entire eddyline line up. It was over priced by about 500 bucks but still.

I still think the Raven is marketable, but If it were my baby, I would stretch it out to about 17’-6" and turn both ends up just a bit more.

@magooch said:
I still think the Raven is marketable, but If it were my baby, I would stretch it out to about 17’-6" and turn both ends up just a bit more.

That would make it more costly and I think they are over priced now. Few more bucks and you can get a nice composite kayak. Molding process is limiting also. My friends paddled nice in rough water like short chop. Does really leave them with a big hole in their line up. What was so different in Raven and Fathom? The price is 2700 for the Fathom.

@djo said:
Wow. That is really sad. The new Raven was outstanding and on my short list for a new boat.

Same! Bummer!

@PaddleDog52 said:

That would make it more costly and I think they are over priced now. Few more bucks and you can get a nice composite kayak. Molding process is limiting also. My friends paddled nice in rough water like short chop. Does really leave them with a big hole in their line up. What was so different in Raven and Fathom? The price is 2700 for the Fathom.

Hole in their lineup? Maybe, maybe not. Could be the market for 17/18-foot boats isn’t what it used to be. Length and weight are factors in my buying decisions. Sixteen feet is tops and of course, the lighter the better.

Disagree about just a “few more bucks” for a composite. North Shore Atlantic LV costs a thousand more than a Fathom LV. Valley Sirona LV is $4,000. I’ve never seen any of the three listed on CL or elsewhere (used) in my area.

Here’s a link to a previous discussion about the difference between the Raven and Fathom: https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/1563939/eddyline-raven-vs-fathom

Current Designs has composites at 3500 like the Equinox. I guess people are going shorter but for me does it matter if the boat is 17-6" or 16’ not really if I like the performance. Fathom listed at 50 lb. Is really not that light compared to composite not sure if it includes hatches.

Looked through the CD website. Some nice looking boats. My personal preference is a skeg and they don’t have any Brit style low volume boats. On the other hand, the CD Rumour looks quite interesting.

We all share a love of paddling so the only thing that matters is to have fun and dance well with our chosen partner.

@Rookie said:
Looked through the CD website. Some nice looking boats. My personal preference is a skeg and they don’t have any Brit style low volume boats. On the other hand, the CD Rumour looks quite interesting.

We all share a love of paddling so the only thing that matters is to have fun and dance well with our chosen partner.

Did you look at the CD Squamish? It’s 15’8", has a skeg and a backband. I’m thinking about getting one for my 5’0", 120lb wife as a poly boat she can beat on. (I’m also thinking of getting myself a Sirocco).

The CD Willow is similar to the Squamish but in fiberglass or fiberglass/Kevlar.

@kfbrady
Yes, checked out all of them. Squamish is RM and weighs 54#. Too bad it’s not lighter. There’s an outfitter about 70 miles away that’s listed by CD as a retailer. I might call and see if they actually have any.

@kfbrady said:

Did you look at the CD Squamish? It’s 15’8", has a skeg and a backband. I’m thinking about getting one for my 5’0", 120lb wife as a poly boat she can beat on. (I’m also thinking of getting myself a Sirocco).

The CD Willow is similar to the Squamish but in fiberglass or fiberglass/Kevlar.

By all means consider the Sirocco–the do it all sea kayak for a bargain price. But while you’re still looking and if you might be considering composite–be sure to check out the revised Caribou and the new Prana. As a matter of fact, take a real good look at all the new Danish style boats.

@magooch said:

@kfbrady said:

By all means consider the Sirocco–the do it all sea kayak for a bargain price. But while you’re still looking and if you might be considering composite–be sure to check out the revised Caribou and the new Prana. As a matter of fact, take a real good look at all the new Danish style boats.

My wife and I have a couple of composite boats now but we’ve been going up to Nova Scotia quite a bit lately and launching from some very rocky shores. I figure that a couple of RM boats will hold up a lot better than our fiberglass/kevlar boats and we may even leave them up there in her sister’s barn for when we visit.

But, I agree. The Danish style Prana and the Sisu look very interesting indeed.

I read that there were some issues with cracks forming around and just forward of the coaming. Not sure if this had anything to do with Eddyline’s decision to discontinue the Raven. As an alternative, take a look at the Delta 16. Similar hull design and performance characteristics, but a much better hatch and seat system and, IMHO, the best quality thermoform boats in the industry.

Hhhhmmm, seems to me that if the Ravens are cracking they’d have to fix them. I think they should stretch it out to about 17’-2" and keep building them.

Mold is made no clue why they couldn’t make a few to order unless expense of swapping mold.

The Raven does crack around the front of the combing. Eddyline did not respond to my request for help in how to repair it. I repaired it but its not pretty.