Goof-Off Day

Beautiful day, a preview of summer. Decided to take advantage of my DCR senior pass and took a break at the beach.

Only 1.5-2’ waves wind. Was lucky to get any ride longer than 10 yards. Not really the point spent an hour paddling along the break line. Just giving my “waveski” hips a workout, training them to stay loose and relaxed.

Looking forward to more waveski “breaks” this summer.

Mahalo!

sing

5 Likes

Planning on doing that tomorrow on the S14S. My hips definitely need adjustment.

1 Like

It’s a good thing! Don’t know how you guage your hip flexibility. I was (unpleasantly) surprised on how tight my hips felt. I think the last time I was on the waveski was back in March. I am hoping to fully utilize by DCR pass and get in 1 or 2 waveski paddling sessions in a week during the summer. It really helped last year in getting me ready for the hurricane swells season.

sing

If you’re planning to goof off on a regular basis you might want to take some lessons.

For example when you’re done swimming and want to dry off, just find someone dry to lean on.

6 Likes

I am planning to semi retire (working part time) next year. So, I am currently practicing and taking all hints on how to enjoy a bit more free time!!!

My son has a white poodle and a heeler, along with 3 daughters. Will visit more to enjoy grand-daughters and pets. But, no dog(s) of my own, per order of the boss at home.

sing

Hmm… More time to learn/incorporate a non-paddling routine to increase paddling/surfing capability…?

Pretty cool “warm up” routine to try to develop for dawn patrol. (It also helps to have fewer folks around to see the lack of “flow”… LOL!)

sing

2 Likes

After one move I’d be down for awhile.

1 Like

Wow. He must be a dancer.

1 Like

The problem with semi-retiring is the wife can find plenty of semi-full time jobs to keep me busy.
Currently at our farm working my a$$ off. The weather is beautiful which is one nice thing. I was hoping to get in some whitewater runs this trip, but haven’t finished the fixing up needed from the severe winter. Looking forward to getting some ocean time again soon.

Although I thought I was alone I have discovered I’m sharing the farmhouse with a large intelligent rodent of some sort, at least I’m hoping it’s just a rodent.

1 Like

Pollyanna is just a play date for me on Wednesday afternoons. But we do plan to get another dog.

As far as retirement hints, I just try to enjoy all the stuff I missed because I was always working.

Like blowing bubbles

Or feeding the seagulls

Or playing the Boat Game with my neighbor’s kids (yes those are single blade paddles).

2 Likes

Oh jeeze… That’s the worse. I had a squirrel that got into my camp. It totally ripped the walls and insulation apart. I can hear it running around behind the walls. Took me two days to get rid of it. I found the hole it had chewed through in the eave. I waited at dawn, outside with my cup of coffee and my Crossman pellet rifle…

Hope you get your varmint before too much time.

sing

Very cool. I don’t see my granddaughters as much as my wife does. She drives down 1.25 hours each way to Cape Cod, 3 times a week, to help out. On the occaisons I get down there, it used to take hours to break the ice and to overcome the granddaughters’ “stranger danger” reaction. It’s gotten much better. Maybe five minutes now for them to warm up to me. Blowing bubbles with them is almost always a good starting point!!!

Looking forward to more time with them.

sing

1 Like

Yeah, looks like a combination of dance, yoga and/or Capoeira (an acrobatic Brazilian martial art form). He is impressive, especially in the smooth flow of his movements. There was a time I used to be able to do most of those movements in isolation (I am a “legend” in my own mind), although not in the seamless flow as demonstrated… LOL!

It looks like a good workout routine to try, at least as separate elements. The one part that scares me is that deep squat posture. Not sure I can pull that off with my blown out knee.

Back when I had hair in 1975 and better physical capacity:

Imgur

Imgur

sing

1 Like

Packrat?

Uh oh.

I was just about to post, “Pellet rifle,” but sing beat me to it! The Viking crossbow, hmm, likely overkill.

Seated exercises on a Swiss balance ball? Something I might buy and do, for the same reasons.

1 Like

When we have a squirrel problem, that is the answer. We had one running in our gutter. From there it’s only a little chewing to get in the attic. No more gutter travel for that one.

I had one manage to chew its way into the attic space above my bedroom by pulling away a badly installed gutter (they installers had peeled back the soffit flashings) on the downhill side of the house which is 3 stories above grade so inaccessible to me even with the extension ladder. Called one of those critter removal companies and they wanted $7,000 (!!) to install a one way door, then patch the area and add new flashing nd “decontaminate” the attic.

Instead found a freelance gutter and roofing guy who waited until we knew the beast was out for the day and replaced ALL my gutters and flashings including double patching the hole, for $1,600.

No unauthorized entries since though the stupid rodent continued to gnaw for a couple of weeks on the drip edge flashing at that spot (probably had already filled inside that corner with acorns during its week of access). The metal held, though you can see the “ruffled” edge it left before it either gave up or one of the local raptors snagged it while it was busily obsessing. We have large hawks nesting in our neighborhood as well as peregrine falcons, the occasional bald eagle and a resident great horned owl (one of them left a large decapitated rabbit along my front walk last week). Far fewer sightings of squirrels, chipmunks and field mice this year, probably thanks to the flying patrols.

When it comes to unwelcome rodents, owls and foxes are my best friends! Eagles here seem to prefer smaller waterfowl, fish and roadkill - perhaps because maneuverability is too limited in the trees ?

Following up on the plan to get out twice a week with the waveski. No one else out since we were just getting shin slapping wind waves and chops from a 12-14 knot onshore wind.

Much easier to get out for a short paddle with minimal gear for the waveski rather the kilt required for a longboat. It was low tide this AM. Long walk to the water. The wind made it bit challenging with a 20 lb 9’ waveski. It would be a real slog carrying much heavier 16’ longboat.

Mahalo!

sing

2 Likes

Saw these guys at Lake Michigan yesterday just floating on their surfboards. Sure seems like goofing off when there are no waves.