Greenland Kayaks: How Well Are They Suited For Big Water?

Gulfstream no IMO. If nothing else deck is way too high.
First 2 years of Elaho w dropped skeg closer. Tamed some of its responsiveness after that w ruddered version, further away.

It is for sale just in case anybody else might be interested

2 Likes

To tight for me :joy:

Where are you?

How much?

I guess I don’t get the fervor of the “Greenland Style” stuff. I mean if a particular design works well for it’s purpose, then that’s great. But sometimes when I see it talked about it’s going beyond that I feel, and comes across as people/marketing tossing the term about as if it’s a mark of inherent superiority. Reminds me of people gushing over the “authenticity” and better sound quality of vinyl records than digital, even though digital is quantifiably better (said as someone who collects and enjoys records).

This all said, I did just buy what turned out to be a Wilderness Systems Arctic Hawk which is a pseudo Greenland style boat from my understanding of it’s design history (basically: a fiberglass adaptation of a stitch and glue kayak that was an adaptation of a skin on frame traditional greenland style kayak (anyone else getting Multiplicity "you know when you take a xerox of a xerox " vibes here?)).

Storrs, CT. $1,200 Cash only. Let me know if you’re interested.

I think different people want their boats for different purposes, and like different “feel” in their boats. I don’t think any boat type is inherently “superior,” but it makes sense that people who love Greenland-style paddling will talk about what they like about Greenland style boats and paddles. But one thing I’ve learned in getting to know a little bit more about the world of Greenland paddling is that everything entails compromise. There’s no one perfect, do-it-all boat. So no reason to get hung up on what’s better. That being said I’m personally very excited to learn more Greenland paddling techniques because I find them super-fun and I like the feel of the paddles. You might like Euro paddles and British-style boats better. It’s all kayaking so it’s all good!

3 Likes

That’s why everyone needs 10 kayak’s :laughing:

3 Likes

10 is “greedy”.

(9 is ok however)

1 Like

Plenty of big guys who are trad boat aficionados at the Greenland skills camps I have attended. i spent two hours in the pool at Delmarva with a pair of coaches teaching assisted rescues – both of them could have been studio wrestlers.

One advantage of hand built skin on frame Greenland kayaks is that they can be custom scaled to the paddler’s metrics.

1 Like

I have about 3 more years of back-log before I can be semi-retied, but at that time I have plans to start making kayaks. Just because I am, festinated with them.

I intend to make strip built, skin-on-frame and stitch and glue. All 3. I have several friends who want kayaks so they will be my guinea pigs, as well as one or 2 for myself and my wife. I love the idea of making a kayak around the paddler’s measurements. I also love the idea of being able to make the hull and decks to any set of specs I want to try.
I hope I am able to get into this new passion and I find it sad I didn’t get into all this 40-50 years ago.

2 Likes

I started paddling in mid 40s. I have gone through more rec, touring, and surf kayaks than I care to count. This doesn’t include include my nine waveskis and 2 canoes (different enough paddling crafts, tho’ don’t know where to place the pedal power Hobie Rev). I’ve build 2 Greenland SOFs and carved about a dozen Greenland paddles.

I thought I would get into building SOFs when I retire (just a couple of years away). I realize these days, I would much rather paddle/surf/fish and enjoy the the free time I have (and am given). I’m much more inclined towards the “doing” part of paddling/surfing. The “other stuff” less so.

Bottom line, follow what gives a smile. If it doesn’t, then let it fade away (like some of the angst and anger that sometimes show and catch folks in these forums).

My .00002 cents worth
sing

4 Likes

Angst and anger? I though I read all the posts.

I bought a Betsy Bay (fiberglass layup) and encountered two features that frankly scared me. First, the hard chine made it more difficult to roll (compared to my Impex Force Cat 3. Second, since my roll in the boat was not reliable, I needed to wet exit, but lo and behold, the ocean cockpit was tough to get out of, especially with a drysuit. All of this reflects the fact that my roll is ok but not great, and that I did not think ahead with regard to the constraints of the ocean cockpit. But I note that some of the G-style boats seem to have the larger cockpits. I’m now trying to sell the Betsy Bay.

1 Like

They are made for big water.

I used to have a Betsie Bay Recluse, and I never found any issues with rolling. It was the only one of the three I had that I could handroll reliably. What I did find was that at 19 feet, and almost no rocker in the keel, that it didn’t like to turn quick.

The BBK cockpits are actually larger than standard ocean cockpits. The one on my Anas Acuta was noticeably smaller when I set them side by side. What you need to do on a wet exit in one with a ocean cockpit is to grab the rim, and push yourself backwards rather than straight down. Takes a little practice to make it automatic when you capsize. The BBK was a fast boat, which is why I kept it as long as I did, but I liked the Anas better overall, which is why she’s still in the shed.

My Greenland-T is great in any conditions. That being said I like my NDK’s, a Pilgrim Expedition and a Sportive even more in the rough stuff. One key thing about all three is they’re low volume and fit me well. I’m 5’7” and my previous kayaks were a P&H Delphin and an Epic 18X. The Delphin was certainly capable in rough stuff. The Epic was good in big stuff but I didn’t like it in choppy stuff. With that U-shaped bottom there’s no chine and with 18’ of waterline, no rocker. Not a playful boat, (but it could carry loads of camping gear and get you there fast). The main thing is they were both kinda cavernous cockpits. Once I got the Rebel I realized how a good fit is important.
When were you at Delmarva? We may have met.

Thanks, Wayne, for the info on wet exiting the BBK. Sounds like you’re way more proficient than I. I’ll practice as you suggest.

The best suited kayak for big water/high winds is the kayak you’re most comfortable in to do self rescues in rough conditions.

After that, its all just personal preference.

3 Likes