Happy New Paddling year!

Paddling where and when you can in the boat , or 2 or 3 , that makes you happy.

5 Likes

I felt lucky to get out today and start the new year with a paddle.

I hope that everyone’s paddling dreams come true in 2024!

2 Likes

We had five of us from the club on the Red Cedar today. I can’t remember if this is 32 or 33 years of doing a New Years day paddle. Today was one of the warmer ones with temps around 31 deg & no ice on the river. Flow was pretty good at 400 cfs so a decent workout going upstream.

Connie Cannon came downstream & met us where we stopped & turned around.

photo credit to Jay Hanks

4 Likes

Pretty cool that your group paddles upstream

Off to a decent start, 6 months to go until Texas Water Safari, the paddling goal for the year

1 Like

I paddled with the local sea kayaking group, just a short paddle through some local canals and then a casual picnic at a park before heading back. I’m not usually much of a group paddler but wanted to catch up with some friends that I hadn’t seen in a while.

5 Likes

I mil + 3 mil

I finished 2023 with 88 trips and 680 miles. I paddled on New Year’s Day with 32 other people on Juniper Creek near Milton, Florida. I love paddling my Bell Wildfire. I paddle a Mohawk Solo 14 on rambo trips, where I may drag my canoe over, under, or around obstacles.

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

I have to wait a few days.

Like maybe 120 of them

1 Like

First paddle of the year in our Southern Hemisphere Summer. Also first opportunity for an extended paddle, nearly 10km, using my Akiak Greenland Paddle. The new paddle helped eat up the distance with ease and no soreness.

1 Like

Paris and I went out . Whittier Alaska

1 Like

Is that a Pygmy kayak?

Sun made a rare appearance today, but temps in the upper 20s so things iced up.

1 Like

Yes it is an Arctic Tern 14

1 Like

That makes me cold looking at it. You da man Chuck.

Whoohoo first paddle of the year: just 45 minutes or so (due to repeated chickening out—I mean, mounting apprenhensiveness about the chilliness—that put off the going until an hour before sunset). New spray skirt (all neoprene) is nice, it takes a little more stretch to put on but it actually goes on easier than the (aging not exactly waterproof) nylon one. No pics since my phone was in my fleece pants pocket inside the drysuit.

Gray sky, gray water, that cold churned up color that Lake Michigan has most of the time from November to March. Above freezing though!

As @sing said somewhere else on this forum, “If it anit frozen…”
Good on you!

More guts than me.