Have you every worried about this happening?

@Sparky961 said:

@pblanc said:
http://www.kfvs12.com/2019/06/22/dead-injured-after-tree-falls-boat-current-river/

“Coroner Erik McSpadden said the man who was killed was from Van Buren, and was well liked.”

How is that relevant? I mean, I sympathize with the people who liked him, but it neither changes the outcome nor was it likely the cause.

Because here in our rural area, PEOPLE ARE MORE THAN NUMBERS OR STATISTICS. That IS relevant, and provides a modicum of comfort to family and friends. I know that coroner myself. Coroners and those of us whom deal with death on an almost DAILY basis find words to soften the “Blow” to family and friends.

I’ve thought about it many a time on windy days as I’ve heard the old sycamores creak. I’ve seen a few go down over the years too.

TomL said:
“It made me wonder what these big old trees have “seen” during their lifetimes.”

Well, as Jim White sings:

Here’s something you won’t see,
a tree obsessed with being,
much of anythingggggggggggg.
Trees are just happening.
Yeah, yeah, yeah

You never hear one scream,
protesting lumberjacks,
with axes glisteninggggggggggg.
Trees are not listening.
No, no, no

To all them things that ROCKS, could never know.
All of the love, the hate, the joy and the sorrrrrrrrow.
As we kill yesterday, and we crucify tomorrow,
doing all them things that ROCKS, could never knowwwww.
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

I don’t believe a tree
has got it in for me,
I’m just invariably
on the wrong path of gravity.

@wildernesswebb said:
Because here in our rural area, PEOPLE ARE MORE THAN NUMBERS OR STATISTICS. That IS relevant, and provides a modicum of comfort to family and friends. I know that coroner myself. Coroners and those of us whom deal with death on an almost DAILY basis find words to soften the “Blow” to family and friends.

Does that mean if the person had been a crotchety a-hole bastard that everyone hated it would be just as important to list that fact? Would the scenario have been any different?

Both unlikely, thus irrelevant.

@Sparky961 said:

@wildernesswebb said:

Does that mean if the person had been a crotchety a-hole bastard that everyone hated it would be just as important to list that fact? Would the scenario have been any different?

@Sparky961 said:

@wildernesswebb said:

Around here, we find something nice to say about the deceased because we ALL have some “Good” in us. Just might be irrelevant to an outsider like you, but to the community and family, the “Target” audience, it is VERY relevant.

Hey CWDH - very nice.

So if trees are leaning from both sides of the river but touching in the middle then it’s safe to go underneath because it’s kind of like a natural bridge right? :wink:

Maybe. Or maybe they will both fall at the same time and make you twice as dead.

Still green…pass through.

Probably sound. But I have seen a whole lot of downed trees across rivers that still had green leaves.

@Overstreet said:
Still green…pass through.

Um. maybe not… If the ground is soggy the roots can be weak… I heard about someone getting killed by a tree last week with no storm no nothing… They were just driving their car in an area that had had a foot of rain in a week. The tree was full of green!

There’s sycamores retaining shores
not sure shore’s so secure,
for to those banks deposits’ ranks
will withdraw with swells’ allure,
and though good roots upheld refute
so many springs would bough verdantly,
a final bow downs ghostly tower
to lie awash in green gravity

Today , no wind, bright and sunny and a tree fell . Shut down our power for 5 hours.

It was breezy today and one could hear trees groaning and rubbing together and a couple of small cracks in the distance. Fortunately the trees in the pic weren’t really leaning they were just providing shade.

2019 OK?
Whew! Or so some would say…
Surprised by a city-killin’ asteroid?
Shall we squirm with Chicken Little?
Nero won’t overture Phantom Menace by fiddle.
Remember into the woods befalls some the last avoid.
(When ya roll with the random what’s the point in getting annoyed?)
(The geometrics of existence placed us all in a trapezoid.)

This big pine has been leaning for years but because of the high water level, its trunk is now in the lake. I stay very clear of it when paddling here at home. Those aren’t fall colors in the background, just distressed trees.

We see that all the time on Jocassee. The lake keeps chewing away the shore.

On boater death reported in southern Michigan. Inland lake near Battle Creek. While the police may not know what caused the tree to fall, little doubt it’s the high water levels.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/michigan/articles/2019-07-29/man-dies-after-tree-falls-on-boat-in-southern-michigan

It really makes you wonder about someone’s number coming up when there are several people on a pontoon boat and one guy is killed by a tree and no one else is injured. I wouldn’t be too quick to blame high water…there are a lot of trees out there and it’s been breezy lately. I saw this recent development a few days ago on one of my local rivers.

@FunN4Lo said:
I am more concerned for snakes falling out of trees than the trees themselves falling.

No kidding. I had my first snakes diving out of trees experience this spring while paddling the Bald Cypress forest on Pokomoke near Snow Hill. It was freaky.

As far as trees falling? The river near to our house runs fast & hard during spring melt. They open up the flood control damn 10 miles upriver and the river rises significantly during these events. The water has really scrubbed the dirt out of the outside banks so you see a lot of tree root structure. I’m always surprised that they’re still upright (more or less). I don’t waste any time in those spots.

So did we agree that trees are safe after they’ve fallen?

As long as they don’t have a poison ivy vine on them when you climb over.