Have you named your boat or added some special graphics?

Beautiful Boat

1890 I was wondering the same thing since I also have a Thormoformed boat coming

@Andy_Szymczak It took me a second to get the name, but that’s awesome. :grinning: Also, really nice looking kayak. I’d love to make one, but don’t have a place to do it right now. Did you build it from a kit or plans? Or design it yourself?

Kit, Chesapeake light craft

A few years ago I got a call from an old friend of 40 years, Dave. He wanted to go on a canoe trip. We did lots of planning, a big group wanted to go. Then at the last minute Dave cancelled. We ended up with 8 people in 5 boats on a river in Oregon for a week. One night near a town I called Dave. We were having our big Italian Night in a grotto in the trees. We teased Dave for quite awhile. I took a sharpie and wrote “Dave’s Not Here” on the side of the canvas Old Town. It remained there for 5 years until I took the canvas off.

3 Likes

stencils / fusion paint

I sharpied "left and “right” inside my Dumoine after a tandem run through the appropriately named local “Boateater rapids.”…as usual, my son was right, but I do believe I heard myself yell the legendary “your OTHER left” a nanosecond before impact :rofl:

3 Likes

I’ve given some thought to this idea… but canoes (and kayaks) are typically such intrinsically beautiful things that one wants to be very careful about shmultzing them up. And I chose not to.
I worked at a sign shop (owned by a fellow paddler,BTW) for several years. It was a short commute and I could get time off to go paddling, and I was an art major many many years ago… This was a design I found that I thought might make a decent vinyl canoe sticker…

I also considered using the Skull & Roses Grateful dead album cover
with the background reds and yellows cut out, the right arm raised, and a paddle spinning overhead added for application to a whitewater helmet. But that would be for a more accomplished white water paddler than I.
In the end the only stickers I ever applied to any of my boats were registration numbers for an occasion when I lent my Bell Mystic to the sign shop owner for an out of state trip he took with his son. I carried those numbers until they expired, but it always rankled me when I took that boat out on a trip and those damned numbers reflected campfire light at night and loomed out of the darkness by the water’s edge. It just looked wrong. So I removed them.
One creative sticker modification I got a kick out of was on a boat a friend of mine owned. She had been taking a creative writing course and was encouraged in that class to pair her writing down to the bare essentials. (I know, you think I should be the one to have taken that class…)

She removed the “Mad River” from her Mad River Canoe sticker. Short and to the point.

2 Likes

I have used PNW Native American symbols many times on my canoes. They look right. I like the stylized hand print, salmon/trout head and any kind of animal.

I built my Chesapeake LT16 and named him “Zephyr”. A local graphics shop made a bronze/black adhesive for me

1 Like

That is gorgeous!

Black Sabbath.

2 Likes

Great boat, very understated, love the matt black!

My boat has bumper stickers of places its been. And when they don’t sell bumper stickers you can get them custom made from design-your-own sites for like $5. Helps if you took a photo that you can design around.

My bicycle on the other hand is covered in beer stickers. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

For the same reason, our new kayaks we’re limited to the colours sky :cloud: blue-white and fire :fire: orange-red. So I think I’ll name them Heaven and Hell. Guess which is mine. :smiling_imp:

I added a Blood Raven patch to my comforter, rather than my kayak. People who see it seem to ‘know’ but do not know the significance, until they ask. The Firth of Clyde and Western Isles, Orkney and Shetland were at one time over-run by Viking…now it is my time to go a-viking.

Added a compass decal to the deck of my stratos.

2 Likes

Very cool, looks like you are always headed south.

Various stickers from hippymotorsUSA, Rapid Vinyl (custom lettering for boat names) and from the Museum of Anthropology in Vancouver BC.

2 Likes

My first skin on frame was black and I carved a dragon head (and tail) for it.

So I named it Krernertok (Inuit for black).

My second skin on frame I cut the bow to be a bird’s head

and I named it Osprey.

5 Likes