Hello from Maine AND help with an old kayak

First, greetings from beautiful -paddler’s Paradise- Maine!

I’ve been interested in kayaking for several years, but only recently am I able to get started. To that end I just bought an older kayak that the seller knew nothing about. It was a good price so I figured, WTH, lets do it.

I found the HIN and learned its a 17’ (the seller advertised it as a 16 footer, tape measures are such a marvelous invention) 1994 Great River Outfitters boat. Anyone have any info on them?

The specs so far:

Mfgr: Great Rivers Outfitters
Year: 1994
Lnth: 17’
Beam: ~23" less at the waterline of course
Cockpit: 24" x 17"
WT Cap: ??? The kayak guy at the local shop (Ski Rack in Bangor, Maine) said about 325 (ish) maybe more.

The hull’s in good shape, not showing any signs of getting beat on the rocks or dragged around. A few dings, but overall not a bad looker. This boat has suffered from neglect more that abuse. Looks like she spent most of her life out behind the barn or in the woods, which one could call abuse too I suppose.

The front hatch (8" round) and the rear hatch (17 x 10" oval) were MIA (well the rim of the front neoprene lid is there) and all the shock cord needs to be re-rigged as well as the skeg lines and control. I’ve found hatches that’ll work already as well as sources for perimeter lines and shock cord.

The skeg control has me stumped tho. This one did not utilize an integral slider control so what did they use in the pre slider era? There are 2 small holes (located about where my left elbow would be at rest) that look like some sort of devise that held/released the control line, got removed. The control line is the same as the perimeter line, btw and the skeg is held down (deployed) by shock cord. The control line comes up from the skeg box, runs forward (external) thru a small pulley and I assume to whatever got removed near the rear of the cockpit. The skeg box runs straight thru from rear deck to the bottom of the hull.

She paddles pretty well and I don’t feel like I’m going over at every stroke, knowing to keep my hips loose goes a long way. I’m a rank noob that’s had a little paddle time a few years ago. Today I test packed her with about everything I might need for a weekend out and had room to spare. I’m 180 lbs and 6’ with long legs and it’s a snug fit. I have to sit on the rear deck to get my legs in and out, its kinda like getting into an Indy car. There are no thigh braces, but with only 12" from bottom to the under deck I can brace pretty good with the pegs set where I feel the best with it. Once I get my stroke worked out she’ll track straight, I’ve kept the skeg retracted to force myself to learn that aspect.

I’d love to play with her some more, but I’m heading back to Ukraine to spend the winter with my wife (hoping for the Golden Ticket soon and to return next Spring together.

Ok, that’s about it for now. I’ll try to answer any Qs I can, but have a few days left here. After Sat. Sep 1 I’ll be plunked in front of my laptop watching trip vids until May.

Thanks for reading this far.

@Tnic said:
First, greetings from beautiful -paddler’s Paradise- Maine!

I’ve been interested in kayaking for several years, but only recently am I able to get started. To that end I just bought an older kayak that the seller knew nothing about. It was a good price so I figured, WTH, lets do it.

I found the HIN and learned its a 17’ (the seller advertised it as a 16 footer, tape measures are such a marvelous invention) 1994 Great River Outfitters boat. Anyone have any info on them?

The specs so far:

Mfgr: Great Rivers Outfitters
Year: 1994
Lnth: 17’
Beam: ~23" less at the waterline of course
Cockpit: 24" x 17"
WT Cap: ??? The kayak guy at the local shop (Ski Rack in Bangor, Maine) said about 325 (ish) maybe more.

The hull’s in good shape, not showing any signs of getting beat on the rocks or dragged around. A few dings, but overall not a bad looker. This boat has suffered from neglect more that abuse. Looks like she spent most of her life out behind the barn or in the woods, which one could call abuse too I suppose.

The front hatch (8" round) and the rear hatch (17 x 10" oval) were MIA (well the rim of the front neoprene lid is there) and all the shock cord needs to be re-rigged as well as the skeg lines and control. I’ve found hatches that’ll work already as well as sources for perimeter lines and shock cord.

The skeg control has me stumped tho. This one did not utilize an integral slider control so what did they use in the pre slider era? There are 2 small holes (located about where my left elbow would be at rest) that look like some sort of devise that held/released the control line, got removed. The control line is the same as the perimeter line, btw and the skeg is held down (deployed) by shock cord. The control line comes up from the skeg box, runs forward (external) thru a small pulley and I assume to whatever got removed near the rear of the cockpit. The skeg box runs straight thru from rear deck to the bottom of the hull.

She paddles pretty well and I don’t feel like I’m going over at every stroke, knowing to keep my hips loose goes a long way. I’m a rank noob that’s had a little paddle time a few years ago. Today I test packed her with about everything I might need for a weekend out and had room to spare. I’m 180 lbs and 6’ with long legs and it’s a snug fit. I have to sit on the rear deck to get my legs in and out, its kinda like getting into an Indy car. There are no thigh braces, but with only 12" from bottom to the under deck I can brace pretty good with the pegs set where I feel the best with it. Once I get my stroke worked out she’ll track straight, I’ve kept the skeg retracted to force myself to learn that aspect.

I’d love to play with her some more, but I’m heading back to Ukraine to spend the winter with my wife (hoping for the Golden Ticket soon and to return next Spring together.

Ok, that’s about it for now. I’ll try to answer any Qs I can, but have a few days left here. After Sat. Sep 1 I’ll be plunked in front of my laptop watching trip vids until May.

Thanks for reading this far.

Photos?

Not seeing any link to download images/files I assume we must use an image hosting site.

Here’s what I have for pics atm.

First paddle at Plymouth Pond, Plymouth, Maine
https://imgur.com/bgN6wyz

Seller’s pic
https://imgur.com/qflQOxB

Or I coulda read the structions. haha

Great River Outfitters sounds like it might have come through Stan Chladek’s shop in Michigan.
https://www.canoekayak.com/from-the-mag/ck-hero-stan-chladek/
He was an early importer of Brit boats. Some around this board might know if he had some made under his shop’s name.

@rival51 said:
Great River Outfitters sounds like it might have come through Stan Chladek’s shop in Michigan.
https://www.canoekayak.com/from-the-mag/ck-hero-stan-chladek/
He was an early importer of Brit boats. Some around this board might know if he had some made under his shop’s name.

That’s Rival.

According to the Mfg’s listing they’re (were?) in Rhode Island iirc. They’re out of the boat business and now sell mostly outdoor clothing and camping/hiking equipment.

http://uscgboating.org/content/manufacturers-identification-result2.php

Valley Canoe Products (VCP) Skerray perhaps? I strongly suggest avoiding the VCP hatch covers in favor of SeaLect. Enjoy your new boat!

Ocean cockpit looks like, no day hatch so older but not totally ancient with Valley hatch covers. Seen older ones. Rope skeg was a Brit thing because you can repair it without tools. The two holes may be for a missing cleat to hold the skeg line. Agree with above that a Skerry is a possibility, or a plastic version of same named differently.

Skerray

That tight cockpit coaming would have been a deal killer for me and I’m about your same size. However, with a lot of practice, you might find a satisfactory way to shoehorn your way in and out of it.

By all means, get the skeg fixed, so it is readily usable and don’t waste your effort trying to paddle without it. You might have to sometime if the skeg jams, or breaks, but trying to paddle without it when it’s needed (likely most of the time) is a futile exercise. That’s not to say you’ll need the whole thing all the time, but a little bit o skeg makes it all better.

Ticnic-

I heartily second -actually, third! -the recommendations for Sealect hatch covers. My three Valley Aquanaut’s original covers literally rotted out in 3-4 years, and the Sealects still look new 9-10 years later. See

http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com/2012/06/gear-sea-lect-designs-hatch-covers.html

and scroll down to see the transformation before->after (the mango boat).

I’m happy to see you getting around sans skeg, but as noted, having one really helps at times, so seriously consider getting it fixed.

Good luck over the winter in the Ukraine…??? That’s a big reason I live in South Florida!

Get your boat fixed and fitted, and happy yrails, next year, as you teturn to Maine and

PADDLE ON!

Frank in Miami

Hey, thanks for all the great words and advise fellas!

As for paddling sans skeg, I found today that its far easier WITH. I’ll see if I can find a suitable cleat to put on and make retractions easier.

I also found a beautiful stream that I’ll be exploring with the missus next year.

The guy at Ski Rack showed me some Sea-lect covers online. Just wish they’d show prices, but I can give Old Town Canoe (the local dealer) a call to find out.

The cockpit. Its tight, but I can make it work and I feel like I’m wearing the boat when I get settled in. The seat’s actually pretty comfy in spite of its age and wear. If I had to do a wet egress, I’m sure I could get out easily and I WILL be practicing such skills a lot next year when we’ll have the time for it.

Here I am on my 3rd outing. I’m smoother getting in and out today too. HAHA
https://youtu.be/OiQKVNkUdQI

Just a note: I recently bought a 2001 Valley Avocet that, according to the HIN, came from Great River Outfitters in Kingston, Rhode Island. Enjoy the boat!

@Tnic said:
I’ll see if I can find a suitable cleat to put on and make retractions easier.

Hamilton Marine in Searsport should have a cleat if you can’t find one closer. You probably want a small “clam cleat” - that’s the type with the little teeth that grab the line.

@Doggy Paddler said:
Just a note: I recently bought a 2001 Valley Avocet that, according to the HIN, came from Great River Outfitters in Kingston, Rhode Island. Enjoy the boat!

Very interesting! Thanks for that tip.

@Wolf said:

@Tnic said:

Hamilton Marine in Searsport should have a cleat if you can’t find one closer. You probably want a small “clam cleat” - that’s the type with the little teeth that grab the line.

I wondered if it wasn’t something like that. I just didn’t know what the little buggger was called.

And just a little update. I was able to find some hatch covers at Old Town Canoe today. They were just the standard replacement rubber hatches and they fit just fine. I’ll work on the sea-lect design s hatches when I get back next year.

In 2001 ,Great River Outfitters was still in Michigan. The letters in the HIN only represent the importer, not the importers location. Great River Outfitters was sold and moved to Rhode Island by the new owner

@Tnic said:

@Wolf said:

@Tnic said:

I wondered if it wasn’t something like that. I just didn’t know what the little buggger was called.

cam cleat…If you say Clam they will howl…

@roym said:
In 2001 ,Great River Outfitters was still in Michigan. The letters in the HIN only represent the importer, not the importers location. Great River Outfitters was sold and moved to Rhode Island by the new owner

The HIN on my kayak starts with DKJ. When I looked it up I got that info. Also, it makes sense since the original owner of the boat lived in Cape Cod at the time of purchase.