Hello from Maine AND help with an old kayak

GRO was the only importer for the USA Stan did all the kayaks that came from both Valley and from NDK. back then. So if it had GRO letter code{DKJ} it was imported into the US and it was done thru Stan Chladek.

When was the RI store moved? Perhaps it was an older boat they had in stock…? But it doesn’t matter, of course!

Doggy Paddler, You are putting two different things together. A 2001 Valley was imported by Stan {The only importer of Valley Kayaks back in 2001} The kayak was not sold thru Jeff in RI. it was sold by GRO while it was still in Michigan. It didn’t matter if it was sold to a person in Cape Cod. It still was imported by Stan. A few years later the franchise to import Valley Kayaks was sold, and Stan retired. The present Valley kayaks are imported by Jeff in RI. He has sole US rights for importation. I believe the import letters are still DKJ but I don’t have a new one to look at. Jeff has the GRO rights for importation now . I believe you will find his store under the name “The Kayak Center” But he now has the import rights {unless something has changed of which I am not aware.

OK, thanks for clearing it up for me!

@kayamedic said:

cam cleat…If you say Clam they will howl…

The one-piece cleats typically used for something like this are actually called clam cleats. But asking for a cam cleat will certainly get you in the right aisle of the store. smile:

https://www.clamcleat.com/

This will show both cam and clams…
https://www.westmarine.com/cam-clam-cleats

Aha… a snippet of learning today. I was thinking of these https://www.shopsoundboatworks.com/scmefacamcl.html?cmp=googleproducts&kw=scmefacamcl&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIju_E-ZGY3QIVFEwNCh2nRQ_KEAQYBCABEgLMVPD_BwE

but now that you showed me. I have a clam cleat for the rudder for my Mad River Monarch… Its a PITA IMO to get the rope to engage but its all about the angle…not its fault.

The clams are a PITA but cheaper and smaller. I’ve had both and would go with the cams.
Think we use to call the clams … jam cleats.

I think you should be looking for a jam cleat.
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/14157351300962189275?lsf=seller:2709845,store:2453004824891416476&prds=oid:17882783086523291035&q=jam+cleat&hl=en&ei=84iMW6_BLcvV5gL6toAQ&lsft=gclid:Cj0KCQjwlK7cBRCnARIsAJiE3MjbXhYhaGsBBKhv6e8wkr3PUVvco6p4U3fY83d7Tx6DBTDLHC6k_McaAuZXEALw_wcB

Yes, a jam cleat. Those are what is on our rope skeg boats - have three of them across two locations…

@roym said:
Doggy Paddler, You are putting two different things together. A 2001 Valley was imported by Stan {The only importer of Valley Kayaks back in 2001} The kayak was not sold thru Jeff in RI. it was sold by GRO while it was still in Michigan. It didn’t matter if it was sold to a person in Cape Cod. It still was imported by Stan. A few years later the franchise to import Valley Kayaks was sold, and Stan retired. The present Valley kayaks are imported by Jeff in RI. He has sole US rights for importation. I believe the import letters are still DKJ but I don’t have a new one to look at. Jeff has the GRO rights for importation now . I believe you will find his store under the name “The Kayak Center” But he now has the import rights {unless something has changed of which I am not aware.

Makes perfect sense! Thanks for that info. Would it be safe to assume that the Mfgr’s listing only shows the current (or last known) location? I’m familiar with imported (mil surp) firearms. Folks frequently confuse the importers with the Mfgr.

Ok, Clam Cleats - 5 Stars rated too.
https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-002010-1-Clamcleat-Vertical-3004-6039/dp/B005FCIG7W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535989614&sr=8-3&keywords=clam+cleat

And CAM Cleats - 4.5 Stars
https://www.amazon.com/Racelite-260-S-Cam-Cleat-Strap/dp/B003XTDHCI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1535989614&sr=8-4&keywords=clam+cleat

For now, I have 8 months to ponder which ones and who’s to order.

UPDATE:

I just heard from Jason at Valley and he confirms my boat is indeed a Valley product.

“This was one of our kayaks, it is a Skerray RM in Granite Grey and was one of the very first Roto-moulded models of a true sea kayaks ever produced.”

Now she’s not an orphan any more. :smiley:

Watched your video. I have an Ocean Cockpit on my kayak. You are doing fine. Sometimes I can even balance without using the paddle to stabilize. Although I can end up in the water doing it too.

One thing, you may not have realized it, but you are paddling with the paddle upside down. A very common thing to do. Good luck with your kayaking. Paddling in Maine you may want to check out the National Center for Cold Water Safety website. Lots of good info.

@castoff said:
Watched your video. I have an Ocean Cockpit on my kayak. You are doing fine. Sometimes I can even balance without using the paddle to stabilize. Although I can end up in the water doing it too.

One thing, you may not have realized it, but you are paddling with the paddle upside down. A very common thing to do. Good luck with your kayaking. Paddling in Maine you may want to check out the National Center for Cold Water Safety website. Lots of good info.

Thanks for the tip & encouragement. I think I’ll put some red tape on the right side of the paddle. :smiley:

Most likely we won’t be doing any cold water paddling, but the info is good to have, just the same. I’ll add the site to my Favs.

I think that by the end of next summer I should have a few skills that could be considered proficient. I definitely want to have the roll down well enough that I won’t need to use the paddle float and pump very often. And well, using the paddle right side up would be good too.

On the paddle orientation - in general when the paddle is not the same shape on each side of the spine, the slightly longer edge is on top. No big whup, very easy to do. You are doing great with then ocean cockpit!

@Celia said:
On the paddle orientation - in general when the paddle is not the same shape on each side of the spine, the slightly longer edge is on top. No big whup, very easy to do. You are doing great with then ocean cockpit!

I really haven’t found it all that difficult to slip in & out of this boat, it feels quite natural actually. I’d like to be able to flex my knees more, but I can handle an hour or so of paddling before I start developing the fidgets in it. If I just have to get out, but don’t wanna stop, I can always use the paddle float as a pontoon and stretch on the aft deck anyway. If I’m in some of the back streams I like, its a good opportunity to explore a potential campsite or have lunch or a snack.

As for the paddle, its just a cheapo Wallyworld Chute paddle and I usually have the label facing right side up, but I didn’t pay attention to in the video. I only paddled out of frame then back in to put the camera away then as well.

The Skerry is a great boat, especially for rough water use. We paddled identical boats in Shetland in 2004 and absolutely loved them for messing about in sea caves and playing in rock gardens and waves. I actually looked for one after we got back, as I thought it would make a great boat for training and teaching, but never found one.

As someone who loves ocean cockpits and only owns boats with them, I hope you learn to appreciate them, too. It’s a shame that all the emphasis these days regarding cockpits seems to be on getting in and out, which has pretty much driven ocean cockpits off the market. It’s pretty ridiculous considering that one typically spends 99%+ of their time paddling and very little time entering and exiting the boat. Ocean cockpits provide major advantages in control that most paddlers will never have the chance to experience. It’s sad, really.

The skeg system on these boats is pretty simple. What typically causes problems is that the blade will get jammed by pebbles or sand and if you push on the control, you kink the cable. Another common issue is salt/sand buildup inside the cable housing. What I recommend is:

• Disconnect the cable at the control end by loosening the screw in the slider.
  • Pull the skeg blade down until you can grab the cable and pull it out of the boat. Pulling the cable out of the metal slider tube will take some effort, but it should get easier once you get past that.
  • remove the cable from the skeg by loosening the set screw.
  • Flush the cable housing with fresh water to remove and sand and salt.
  • Spray a silicone or wax-based lubricant into the cable housing. Do not use oil, as it will attract and hold grit.
  • Install a new skeg cable by reversing the above process. You can get suitable cable at any marine supplier, but the original is probably a metric size that’s in between 1/8" and 3/32". Given the choice, I suggest going with 3/32", as it creates less friction in the housing, especially when it gets salty and sandy inside. Make sure you get 1x19 cable, not 7x19, which is much too flexible.

You should find that the skeg moves smoothly now. One last thing I always do is to drill a hole near the tip of the skeg blade and install a pull tab made of cord. This will make it easier for your paddling partner to pull the skeg down when out on the water, if it gets jammed during a launch.

Take good care of your Skerry, it’s a perfect boat for playing on the Maine coast!

@bnystrom said:
The Skerry is a great boat, especially for rough water use. We paddled identical boats in Shetland in 2004 and absolutely loved them for messing about in sea caves and playing in rock gardens and waves. I actually looked for one after we got back, as I thought it would make a great boat for training and teaching, but never found one.

As someone who loves ocean cockpits and only owns boats with them, I hope you learn to appreciate them, too. It’s a shame that all the emphasis these days regarding cockpits seems to be on getting in and out, which has pretty much driven ocean cockpits off the market. It’s pretty ridiculous considering that one typically spends 99%+ of their time paddling and very little time entering and exiting the boat. Ocean cockpits provide major advantages in control that most paddlers will never have the chance to experience. It’s sad, really.

The skeg system on these boats is pretty simple. What typically causes problems is that the blade will get jammed by pebbles or sand and if you push on the control, you kink the cable. Another common issue is salt/sand buildup inside the cable housing. What I recommend is:

• Disconnect the cable at the control end by loosening the screw in the slider.
  • Pull the skeg blade down until you can grab the cable and pull it out of the boat. Pulling the cable out of the metal slider tube will take some effort, but it should get easier once you get past that.
  • remove the cable from the skeg by loosening the set screw.
  • Flush the cable housing with fresh water to remove and sand and salt.
  • Spray a silicone or wax-based lubricant into the cable housing. Do not use oil, as it will attract and hold grit.
  • Install a new skeg cable by reversing the above process. You can get suitable cable at any marine supplier, but the original is probably a metric size that’s in between 1/8" and 3/32". Given the choice, I suggest going with 3/32", as it creates less friction in the housing, especially when it gets salty and sandy inside. Make sure you get 1x19 cable, not 7x19, which is much too flexible.

You should find that the skeg moves smoothly now. One last thing I always do is to drill a hole near the tip of the skeg blade and install a pull tab made of cord. This will make it easier for your paddling partner to pull the skeg down when out on the water, if it gets jammed during a launch.

Take good care of your Skerry, it’s a perfect boat for playing on the Maine coast!

Another one of “us” out there? lol Honestly I was surprised at how comfortable and stable I felt almost from the get go.

I won’t get to play with it again till next summer as I’m in “winter quarters” now. That’s Ukraine with my bride while we deal with her immigration process. Expect to be back in Maine as a couple in May to begin the next chapter of our adventure.

Thanks for all the great info on the skeg control, but mine is a rope control, no slider and cable. Basically its just some deck bungee holding it down and some line (same as the perimeter) and a cleat to hold it up. There’s a hole in the aft deck that runs through the skeg box to accommodate the lines.

Hey there friends. We hope to be in Maine by July now and I have been running into the same stone wall enough now.

I’m looking for a new spray skirt (ANY spray skirt) and I have yet to find anyone that makes skirts for smaller ocean cockpits. SEALS at least gives me a result of “Made to Order”. Them and one other outfit at least has my boat in their lists, the other just says no fit.

Ok, so the cockpit is 24x17 on my Valley Skerray RM with Ocean CP.

The boat came with an old one (I can’t recall the make atm and I’m 5k miles away) that I might be able to freshen up, but a new one would be best I think.

Any suggestions are most welcome and TIA
Tim

Can’t find what I need on their web site, but give Snapdragon a call. They still list Xsmall and XXsmall skirts, though without measurements that I could find. One of them might work for you.