Help with Safety gear list

I paddle with my sweat heart when I can. But I scout those day trips.

Here is where it is not going to make much sense. I am mobility challenged and generally in rough shape.

And I am out solo checking if it is safe!

I know I should not go alone but finding a weekday partner is very hard.

Now I am a novice but I have read a bunch of books. And and went over the safety lists but my condition adds a lot of risks.

I am most concerned about if I became unable to proceed. Like broken boat or the old up a crick without a paddle. This would be very bad as walking / swimming out is not an option. :frowning:

People sometimes comment are you putting all that in there?

I want to say you bet ya and when I find you in trouble boy will you be glad!

Here is what I / we keep in the boat:

1 gallon of water and a water bottle for each.

Lots of snacks and food I could live on the food and water for days.

2 high end ponchos with grommets.

A towel

extra set of clothes for each weather adjusted.

2 hats

2 exercise mats

Wilderness first aid kit with added goodies super glue for bad cuts.

iPhone in water proof box. (But you all must know the rivers are the lowest place so I figure it won’t work if I need it)

Map

Compass

2 lineing ropes (we try to stay on flat water should never need them but I just think you can never have too much rope)

Painter

Whistle safety pea less

PFD’s vests

2 boat cushions

2 space blankets

5’ x 7’ sail ho made heavy duct cloth could double as blanket or shelter.

2 safety sticks ( like the power co uses fiberglass lock together 7’ long) These are for a mast for the sail, Push sticks, sliding canoe over rocks, loading and unloading on the car, mud push stick, loading deer and any big treasures. A big treasure to us is a tv laying in the river we pick up junk. (I also have a steam boat whistle for when we have a big load wooo woooo. We like to have fun!)

A mud stick end it fits the safety sticks

Ropes for sail a short 3/8" and about a 10’ 3/8"

A lee board for sailing

A tiller

Trolling motor + spare prop nut and wrench.

Battery and box

John deer multi tool

Swiss Army knife I feel naked with out it.

Paper work boat reg. ID, cash,permits etc.

Most of it fits in an old green army duffle bag lined with a super duty giant garbage bag and then a laundry bag. Ho made water proof bag. Idaho

Well I think that’s it.

more? less? what do you guys / girls think?

canoe?
I am guessing this is all in a canoe, not a kayak or SUP?

Leave a lot of it at home and
Get a PLB.

Help is there in about ten minutes

I keep mine in my PFD pocket and don’t leave the shore without it.

Jack L

Canoe
Canoe and sometimes the fishing or hunting gear too

flashlight, waterproof
small, clipped onto your pfd. A spare flashlight, waterproof, not too expensive, that you’re willing to donate to the not-so-bright people out in the dark who really, really, really should have brought one. Bicycle lights are handy for this sort of thing.

Spare paddle, attached to the yak/canoe however you want, so if you turn over, it stays clipped on.

Matches or bic lighter for campfire? Duct tape ?

I love your list, but I would use a dry bag or two instead of a canvas duffel.

take as much as you need to feel
at ease. You know your physical limitations, environment, and skill set better than we do. You want to have enough to not have a case of the “what ifs” and be worried the whole time your paddling. For me its a mental thing- especially if your boating alone. In other words, take as much as you need to “feel” safe so you can enjoy the trip.

I carry very little- my essentials are a sprayskirt, lifejacket, helmet (I paddle rivers with rocks), and a paddle. I frequently also take a water bottle, a granola bar, some cough drops and a throw rope- all this extra stuff is dependent upon what is rolling around in the back of my van or already stashed in my boat (I’m very lazy). Occasionally I take a camera. In the winter, much more clothing is involved. I paddle typically less than 7 miles (on a river, creek, or swamp) often near rr tracks or a road, and usually in a group. I’ve thought about carrying tylenol, a spare paddle, a whistle, and a 2nd set of keys (instead of stashing them) but I haven’t gotten that carried away yet. Sometimes less is more.

A whistle isn’t getting "carried away"
If you are in CG waters a whistle or other suitable signaling device is supposed to be with you.

In many races they are required.

My wife and daughter used theirs once to signal a rescue boat that was around a corner when they were trying to assist a tandem canoe that had tipped with two girls that couldn’t swim.

The rescue boat heard the whistle and all ended up well.

It can easily be kept on a tether in your PFD pocket

Jack L

maybe its the high

– Last Updated: Jan-07-15 10:07 AM EST –

frequency pitch of a whistle I can't hear well. One time I was backpacking and bushwacking with a buddy. We got separated in thick woods. He kept blowing his whistle and yelling. I never heard the whistle but I eventually located him from his yelling, weird but true.

In wv the whistle signals "a swimmer" in ww. Which is a good thing, because its distinctive but maybe it gets overused a bit and gets blown when things are pretty much in hand. So if your out in the new river gorge a lot, you get desensitized.

I didn't think about the coast guard regs but that makes sense when you have large open expanses of water, where signalling can become an issue. Like Arlo Guthrie said, "we don't always do what we're supposed to do". I need to up my game a bit and attach whistles to my different pfds. I also need to make sure they're not a snag hazard (I boat through a lot of brush) and that they're the kind that work when they get wet. Any suggestions on the type of whistle to get?

10 minutes
I have a PLB, and it does add security. But I read something somewhere saying that the receiving station in Colorado could take up to 40 minuets to get the signal and start the cavalry coming. Then they have to get to you.

he has the whistle
but I do carry a PLB. They do not require a subscription and given your acknowledged limitations seems a good idea.

Of course they do not guarantee instant response. If that is needed then you have to rethink your route. In some areas I go to response could be immediate or measured in days.

I have seen rescues happen in 40 minutes and others take longer due to bad weather. Rescue units do have to be deployed so if you have a heart attack you need to have some knowledge of what to do between your ears in the meantime.

A wilderness first aid course will teach you how to cope with less.

And please ditch the ponchos. They are a real danger for entrapment… And do very little to keep you dry in wind. Get a decent raincoat.

so this is all in one bag?
Plus is this bag tied to canoe, could the canoe get away from you? If it is in one bag it could get away from you. So there for like others have said a PLB on your person (inside PFD pocket). I was on a river once that had one set of small rapids and a canoe tipped over in the rapids and there stuff was all over the place floating away. So just in case that happens a PLB could get you help in a hour or two. Doesn’t have to be much current to take your bag away or the whole darn canoe.

Best whistle
Get a Fox 40

Good Job
I spent 8 years in the US Coast Guard Prepare for the worst expect the best.

All the advice you are getting is pretty good. I would like to add three more. I didn’t see (1) water filtering system, you can live 3 weeks with no food 3 days without water. 1 gallon is not enough. (2) get some dehydrated food I recommend wise survival just add boiling water. they are out of Salt lake city. (3)

Put the makings of a trout line in the mix. don’t worry about the law survive first.

I’m also disabled and it doesn’t stop me either

I now live in Montana But used to live in salmon for a long time.

Good Job

Share and Enjoy

PS I’m going to do the 150 mile Lewis and Clark trip on the Missouri river trip this June if interested in going with me you would be welcome. Contact me

I always
have my river knife on my PFD.(serrated) In case you get tangled in fishing line or find yourself in a strainer, you can cut your way out (hopefully) Just did a review on Pnet on my Bear Claw knife. Also use it to cut small timber for fires. Handy tool / safety. After reading all the posts, I need to review whats in my dry bag (or whats not in it!)

thanks, ordered four
to put in/on different pfds

extra
coleman propane base…the green one. Not having 2-3 bases in the vehicle or 2 for canoe…surely one will walk of into the brush NTBSA

do you
carry a laser ? Of course I have a laser. Neato Dude !

The Coast Guard is always impressed by the laser.

I have night vision goggles.

So I can find the Coleman base.

It’s a 1974 Yankee rebel

PLB
That’s a new must have!

Thais bearriver

– Last Updated: Jan-07-15 7:39 PM EST –

Good job I do keep a small repair kit wire, tape, some little spare stuff for my custom stuff, para cord.
We each have a small light and a spare! Forgot about that too
Spare paddle but not clipped to boat. Yet! Thanks for that one could be very important.
It should say thanks bearriver I can't edit it now:(