Help with Safety gear list

Thanks tdaniel
We discussed the same thing and when we are worried its no fun.

So we’re not alone thank you

Thanks kaya medic
My sweetie was an EMT and you are reinforcing our thoughts of doing that. A lot of the time I am alone exploring so I can get in some remote places.

Again thank you

Thanks dc9mm
That’s the nightmare! I have thought about a leash like a surf board.

And keeping a knife very handy but I just see to many down sides.

What are your thoughts on a leash.

When my finances allow I’m thinking about a fishing pfd full of pockets to keep little stuff in.

Poncho’s

– Last Updated: Jan-07-15 8:39 PM EST –

I read a previous post about the poncho tangle. I'm sorry I should have note that and that they are there for a ground cover and shelter.
Thanks for that one kayamedic could be a life saver.

Wow more than a gallon!
Ok I honestly thought it was even over kill. But now that u put it that way I know we have a light small purifier in our end of the world kit I’m changing its location. :slight_smile:

I read about the vaccume sealer idea so i do some of that and I have some mountain house meals in the end of world kit too a few will also be reallocated! :slight_smile:

And being a fisherman I can’t believe I didn’t think of the trot line not much space light and I’m down with prepare for the worst.

Thanks buck298 (that’s how we say it in pumpkin center wi.)

Thanks datakoll

– Last Updated: Jan-07-15 8:35 PM EST –

The propane base is a good idea.
The lazer is most excellent! Small light and power full and cheap! I mean why not?

One more thing.

– Last Updated: Jan-07-15 9:04 PM EST –

Marine radio hand held in its waterproof bad in my vest at all times. I figure if I need any emergence equipment. I will need rescue. This will come by boat , Wisconsin department of natural resources, police or fire and rescue. All those boats have radios.
Can't believe we all missed that one.
I tried to thank every one if I missed someone thank you.

I htink the
most important piece of safety equipment you need is your brain and some reasonable level of fitness.

Skill acquired from actual experience is very important because it helps you stay out of dangerous situations number one, and it helps you stay alive with nothing but the clothes on your back number 2.

One of the key moments in any paddling trip is the launch decision. Keep that in mind.

I had to get some reading glasses
so I could find my might vision goggles

health insurance card

– Last Updated: Jan-08-15 12:04 PM EST –

I always get a duplicate and keep one in my kit bag, with my phone and keys. On the back I've written two medications which I'm allergic to.

laser
size of a large pen functions as a ID beacon eg for rescue or location

look here…http://www.campmor.com/c/s/gear/health-safety/skin-treatment

add ‘sting ez’

Luci Lights
Inflatable solar lantern. Good for 12 hours on a charge, waterproof (salt and fresh), floats, weighs four ounces and is about 1/2 inch high when deflated. When not in use, it holds a full charge for about three months.

http://www.mpowerd.com/products

A new emergency model, weighing 2.6 ounces, will be out soon.

I carry one on the stern of my kayak if going out after dusk to stargaze and clip one to my dock as a marker. Wonderful product.

@dc9mm said:
so this is all in one bag?
Plus is this bag tied to canoe, could the canoe get away from you? If it is in one bag it could get away from you. So there for like others have said a PLB on your person (inside PFD pocket). I was on a river once that had one set of small rapids and a canoe tipped over in the rapids and there stuff was all over the place floating away. So just in case that happens a PLB could get you help in a hour or two. Doesn’t have to be much current to take your bag away or the whole darn canoe.

I now have a fishing vest full it is my primary survival kit. Thank you very good info.

@datakoll said:
laser
size of a large pen functions as a ID beacon eg for rescue or location

look here…http://www.campmor.com/c/s/gear/health-safety/skin-treatment

add ‘sting ez’

I have had a lazer in my kit ever since! Thank you

@slushpaddler said:
health insurance card
– Last Updated: Jan-08-15 12:04 PM EST –

I always get a duplicate and keep one in my kit bag, with my phone and keys. On the back I’ve written two medications which I’m allergic to.

I have done this and also heat sealed a variety of meds and emer. meds. in strip I keep in my bag since. Thank you

@rpg51 said:
I htink the
most important piece of safety equipment you need is your brain and some reasonable level of fitness.

Skill acquired from actual experience is very important because it helps you stay out of dangerous situations number one, and it helps you stay alive with nothing but the clothes on your back number 2.

One of the key moments in any paddling trip is the launch decision. Keep that in mind.

since this post I have made some bad ones and was just lucky to get thru. I have heeded you’re advice. I now plan the trip and check the ability level. Very Closely.

@aquanaut
Nice to hear from you and that you’re still paddling. Noticed in your initial post that you carry an iPhone. Here’s a handy-dandy app you should install, if you haven’t already: http://uscgboating.org/mobile/

My wife forbade me from paddling alone years ago, esp. in unknown areas.
I thought her concerns were overdone until I was in a situation where they weren’t. While I was in no immediate danger, I needed help. Without the other people , it would have taken more than 2 weeks to recover.

Funny thing that just a week ago I was thinking of you, Aquanaut, and was wondering how you were doing. Good to hear you are still in the game.

First aid kit including bee sting kit and tick removers/sunscreen/water