Here is a photo I took today of why not to buy a pelican

I’m sure that a materials engineer can tell you the difference but you can physically feel it. My aging Tarpon is solid as a rock but the cheap ones feel mushy by comparison.

1 Like

There is a fair amount of difference in the actual layups between various manufacturers, even if the material is roughly the same category. For ex Prijon traditionally made quite abusable, stiff and heavier plastic boats. You would have to work a lot harder to have a Prijon boat deform like this.

3 Likes

Pelican, as noted, is made in Canada, not China. They use recycled plastic in their poly sheets, thermoformed top and bottom, rather than one piece roto-molding with high density linear resin poly (a process where the materials and build make for an inherently stiffer hull).

I suppose Pelican’s response to all of this would be to say “hey, we get it - if you want a stiffer plastic boat, buy a Dagger or Perception or Wilderness Systems instead. We own them too, so it’s all good with us.” Though they’d probably say it in French.

6 Likes

There is really little advantage of taking a product like this and moving production to Asia as the process of making the shell is about 4minutes long and totally automated and the end product is both light and bulky for shipment. The after treatments are not all that much as well and my guess is some of those parts may well come from Asia. Compare a rec-kayak to say an iPhone. That doesn’t mean companies don’t still build products in far away places. A lot of the hot tub manufactures are moving to Mexico or have moved because of regulation around curing fiberglass and such in USA.

The public wants plastic to be recycled, but when recycled plastic is used, it’s called foreign junk. Wonder if the boats could be used on protected lakes. Wonder why someone would buy a $299 boat when they can get one for $3,600. It should be illegal.

Personally I see nothing wrong with Pelican, Sundolphin, or other inexpensive boats as they serve their purpose well on calm water such as lakes. Where I find it a problem is when people use them in areas where it is unsafe to do so such people venturing far out on the long island sound where I am located now. Also when I worked as a kayak guide this summer there was a serious incident of a person in a pelican boat falling out in a dangerous area on the Hudson River by Bannerman’s Island and they drifted with the current. The boat flooded as it didn’t have a front bulkhead and neither of the people they were with had any clue how to do a T rescue. If our tour wasn’t passing by they would have had a serious issue. I have used a sun dolphin on multiple occasions and it certainly serves its purpose, but most people I see paddling them don’t understand the capability of the boat.

6 Likes

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it float on its back.

2 Likes

Me thinks there’s a little pill that can remedy that :upside_down_face:

1 Like

To be sure.

I have 2 20 year old kid Pelican yaks that held up 2 rough kids who turned into teenagers & boats are still good!

6 Likes

Welcome, Wendydr40, and thanks for that update. Hope your kids are still paddling.

Tupperware boats are good on little lakes and mild rivers. I’ll take my pygmy over any plastic boat on the lakes, even Superior.

1 Like

I have owned my Pelican for 6 years, stored it properly, and it has served me well in calmer waters. I know how to kayak and have taken lessons on the right way to navigate on rivers, and safety measures to observe. I prefer stream kayaking, but during COVID I have kayaked in over 15 streams and 7 lakes I am an older woman with a diagnosis that limits my hand strength, so I can only manage a light kayak by carrying it on my shoulder. I have just joined paddling.com and find many of these messages very elitist, and it shouldn’t be that way. I do agree that everyone should have knowledge of basic safety rules, paddling skills, and not be using these kayaks in rough waters.

9 Likes

What matters most is that you use and enjoy your boat and that it satisfies your needs. I have a 17 ft boat that I hardly use because it’s too heavy and inconvenient to transport compared to the one I use most.

1 Like

I think a situation such as yours is really what these boats are perfect for, I definitely think the elitist attitude against them is undeserved. However a large percentage of people who own Pelicans, Sundolphins, and other small rec boats definitely are not as responsible as they should be. I hope you continue to enjoy your boat!

3 Likes

TY, Eric. It is true that many people just go out and buy a more stable kayak and take off without any instruction. If navigating on a lake, checking wind speed is important. Pelican kayaks don’t belong on rough waters. Anyone who owns a boat, kayak, or canoe should take the time to research rules for navigating on waterways safely. There are many sites on the internet.

The other day I was paddling a long but narrow local lake and was heading up a side arm, toward the point where a small creek empties. I had about a 10 MPH tailwind. I exchanged greetings with someone in a fishing boat who nicely said “you’re going have to work against the wind when you come back”. I jokingly responded that a little headwind would be nice to cool off. That fisherman must have had some experience watching kayaks struggle to get out of that area. Maybe he even gave a kayaker a tow in the past.

When my kids turned 18, I told them each of them that they were now adults under the law. I helped you make it this far, now decisions are for you to make, so make them wisely. Some decisions only give you one chance. And that is the way of life.

2 Likes

This was either due to vandalism or a combination of rain water collecting in the bow combined with high temperatures / direct sun.

In either case, whoever stored it hull down screwed up.

Hi Pam. New to the forum as well and yup noticed the elitism :frowning:
Some here are quick to pass judgment (and others are super helpful). Not everyone can afford or wants to own a $1500 boat.

Super happy with my recent purchase of a Pelican Escape 120x (a hybrid between rec and touring). Handled rough conditions on nearby Lake of 2 Mountains recently without a problem. Got totally soaked from the waves washing over me. It was awesome.

I’m just happy to finally be kayaking.