Hobbies when not paddling?

With how I did on the river in Errol, I could probably save money on bait and just grab one while I’m upside down :slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face:

Here fishy fishy…

:rofl:

2 Likes

I, too, like to fly fish, but I do it in a kayak, so it is not really a separate hobby.

I do tie my own flies, so that is one hobby.

I also am trying to turn my yard into a lawn

I also enjoy wood working and remodeling. Here is my feature ceiling

and I have a few orchids, this is a colony of Florida Butterfly Orchids I rescued from fallen trees.

Last hobby is that I have written three thrillers and two sci-fi books, still just a hobby though.

3 Likes

I have two young grandsons, who light up my life, but hobby wise, I play in two bands, who also light up my life! I’m in red in the center playing an instrument called the Chapman Stick (www.stick.com

8 Likes

That’s great. Here is my daughter Johanna with someone you may know a couple months ago….

Endurance riding!

4 Likes

Yours or the horse?

Archery, cycling, photography

3 Likes

Wayne, I share overlapping interests.

But, for me, I would amend: Aim, Shoot, Oops, Apologize.

sing

2 Likes

That’s why I don’t shoot barebow outdoors :wink:

Ahhh, Mr Levin! Yes, definitely a big inspiration, and a super nice guy to boot.
Quick anecdote - was “saving places” at a little club in Asbury Park for my partner and her friend while they grabbled dinner (Stickmen show). Phone buzzes, I get a photo of her sitting with Tony at the restaurant!

1 Like

I saw 3 stickmen shows this last tour. That photo with my daughter was a picture she gave him of the band with the spirit of John Wetton hovering above

Awesome! We obviously share similar tastes!

1 Like

I loved archery until my joints decided they didn’t so I took up pistol shooting for accuracy.
Not as much fun but no arrows to retrieve!

Not my thing. But it is for my sons, one for hobby and the other for vocation.

I generally favor things with a little more physicality, at least while I am still able.

sing

1 Like

I took up archery in college in Wisconsin in the 80’s …where they had nice places to practice. I’ve thought about getting another bow.

Since retiring one thing I enjoy is cooking. I make muffins regularly and give them out sort of randomly, often to YMCA staff, or the local farmer and his wife that let me use their land, or neighbors, always one for the mailman, etcetera. My apple tarte is awesome. This morning I fed the mechanics at a local non-profit shop and the health care staff at my local doctor’s where one woman gave me a terse “how can I help you?” to which I replied “I’d like you to take responsibility for these banana muffins”. It’s fun to surprise people with a home-made treat.

And for my wife and I a nice vegetarian chili which is easy and fun to experiment with.

2 Likes

I started actively shooting bows and arrows in the mid 70shad learned archery in Scouts in the early 60s. Went from bare bow to sights, and later compounds near the end of the 70s. Decided to returned to my archery roots and picked up a longbow and went back to barebow in 1991. Shoot both recurves and longbows, but hunt mostly with my longbow. Shot targets and did roving shooting pinecones stumps etc. all year long.

Sometime around 2010 started focusing on other things, but still hunt with my longbow. Always made my arrows to match both weight, spine, and straightness, from wood to carbon. Arrow flight is the key to accuracy once you master good form and technique. Frequent practice so it becomes second nature.

One of my practice routines was to shoot indoor targets when I went back to my roots and strive for an average in the 240s. Within the first year of going traditional I was averaging in the 260s with my hunting weight bows of 55+ pounds. Managed a number of 270s. Quit doing that after cementing my form because I internalized a 20 yard shot so strongly that I often automatically shot that in a hunting situation. Switched to shooting each arrow at different unknown distances to overcome that tendency. I would then pace off the distance after each shot to estimate the distance. Roving is a lot of fun. I can still manage 50+ pound bows but… probably not much longer.

My backyard target shot from 10- 50 yards. These three arrows were shot at 23 yards, but as you can see i don’t always make a good shot. Some days I’m just more focused. The bow is a 53# J. D. Berry.

First three arrows from 32 yards on a new indoor target face next arrow was in the 3 ring using a 57# Robertson Hill style stickbow. I got to where 3 arrows at the same spot was pushing my luck on destroying arrows. Yet I could still make a bad shot.

1 Like

Wow… I love apple based deserts. I am salivating looking at that! :yum:

sing

2 Likes

I make my own bows, English Longbows, English Warbows, Primitive European bows like Viking Hedeby , and mesolithic Holmegaards, and Native American - mostly Shoshone from the wood I can find near our farm in Utah. I make arrows to match. Lately I don’t do much shooting in my backyard in California as it scares the hell out of my neighbor when arrows hit my targets with a definite bang. My recipe for getting real tight groups as above is to shoot half a dozen arrows and leave the best one or two in the bulls eye, then shoot another half dozen and repeat the process until I have a nice group that I can take a picture of and prank my friends in Europe on a primitive bow making Facebook group.

1 Like

There are some really talented people here.

I have made a yew English Longbow with horn nocks and horn strike plate, a hickory and an Osage flat bow, and a black locust bend through the handle eastern woodland style longbow. My yew Elb is my best one. I have a good yew stave I may one day tiller another. I’m a so so bowyer, but got better with each one I made. Enjoyed Dean Torges writing and bow making. Made cane and wood arrows. Spent time on the Leatherwall, was around when Trad Gang broke away.

My photos aren’t spoofs, but I don’t claim I could do it all the time. But there were days when everything would click. Enjoyed shooting in the primitive class at the Traditional Bowhunters of FL championships for many years, and have several plaques on the wall I am proud off. lived and breathed bowhunting. Could not imagine a day when I would be unable to shoot a bow, but at my age I see lots of changes to life in the years ahead. Keep on trucking until you can’t.