Hobbies when not paddling?

That’s some really great shooting for a barebow, regardless of distance. I hear you about getting stuck at a single distance - my better half outshoots me at 20 yards 90% of the time, but she has never beaten me beyond 40 in competition, or just hanging out at an outdoor range. She’s really big on telling people she kicks my a$$ at 20. Just happens that we have a target set up in the back yard that’s 20 yards, and she practices 5-6 days a week at the same distance all the time.

I was shooting 40 in the yard for a little while, but the neighbors freaked out about a guy standing in the front yard and shooting a bow into the back yard. Easier to buy a season pass to an outdoor range where I can shoot as far as 70 meters if I want.

1 Like

offhand6

Service rifle competition. You can do some stuff to the rifle, but its like racing with restrictor plates, most of it is on the driver. I have some points toward distinguished but I keep missing matches this year because of life, and the shortages have been a PITA getting components.

pumkin roll1
Dark chocolate pecan pie, and pumpkin roll around Tday. Baking is my thing for about a month.

3 Likes

Started this March 1800 Miles on it.

May add another one. Have a Hybrid two years but didn’t ride it much.

Boating and first mate.

Google Photos

In the past

Google Photos

Google Photos

My trade

Google Photos

Google Photos

Photography of other people’s brickwork.

Google Photos

Gardening

Google Photos

Google Photos

Enough to Elephant Ear and Canis bulbs to fill the 8’ pickup bed in my truck with a slight crown.

Tons of Jade plants only a small portion of jades and other house plants.
Google Photos

Pets

Google Photos

Google Photos

Rescue on right plus cat a rescue

Google Photos

Teresa on right rescued 11,000 to save her in vet bills now 400 a month in meds.

Google Photos

Gretchen gone a few months ago at 27. She said so many things it was crazy.
Google Photos

4 Likes

Very cool stuff castoff.

I don’t have 1% of your experience. I do enjoy the sport. I’ve never tried a quality traditional bow.

Congrats on 1800 miles on the bike PD. Great that you have a place to ride and great that you are really getting into it.

1 Like

Made in a cast iron pan. You don’t know what it will look like until you pull it out of the oven and whack it hard on a cutting board to make it pop out. My next door neighbors have volunteered to take any rejects.

I think it is great that you teach.

3 Likes

Picture looks good from park down the block but people are nuts driving on Long Island. Nice bike path at Jones Beach 30 miles made for bikers, runners, skaters. Safer there than the neighborhood. Use to have sport bikes so better equipped and aware to deal with them.

1 Like

This looks better the previous one. The last one looks like an apple tart. This looks more a pie. Either way, I wouldn’t reject it. :slight_smile: Just need a scoop of vanila ice cream on it.

I rode motorcycles for many years but will not road bike around here since it is rural with narrow 2-lane roads with high speed limits. But we do have the Kal-Haven trail (South Haven to Kalamazoo…30 something miles) about 30 minutes away which I’d like to try.

giphy
Punching babies relieves a lot of stress…It’s a joke, people.

2 Likes

You wait until they’re teens.

I did that with my teen boys… but only in the training ring. My older son, who became a ranked combat sport competitor, paid me back 3:1. And that was him “taking it easy” on his old man. These days we just talk about about training others. :slight_smile:

sing

1 Like

Same with my son. I’ll always remember the foot race on the beach when we tied and it kicked my butt.
Now he’s an off road bicyclist and training his sons.

I do not mean to hijack the thread, but will asked my question anyway. I am looking to add archery to my hobbies. What is a good mid range starting recurve bow? What are decent arrows for target shooting? Walmart and big box stores sell bows and arrows. I am looking for a mid tier bow. Not a “SunDolphin” grade bow, or an “Epic” grade either. Something mid tier, aka the WS Tsunami of bows. Thanks.

Bear Archery bows are decent mid-tier bows. You might look at what Three Rivers Archery and Lancaster Archery have to offer. There are also archery websites with classified sections for people buying and selling bows.

Concerning arrow selection Aluminum would be a good choice for economy and ease of maintaining when compared to wood shafts. I have shot wood shafts forever. In the primitive class at TBOF they and cane are the only arrows allowed. You have to check straightness on wood shafts all the time as the can take a bend and be adept at straightening them. Carbon is my preferred arrow shaft anymore for hunting and all-around shooting because they are tough, don’t take a bend, and the small shaft diameter gives better penetration. You pay more for target grade shafts. Carbon shaft arrows are the most expensive, but so is prime Stika Spruce wooden shafts. You will want feathered arrows if you buy them already made. You will also want an understanding of how to tune your arrows to your bow for good arrow flight.

Many of the old bows made by Bear, Martin, Pearson etc. can be found used and would be good bows if the limbs aren’t twisted. Some are sought by collectors.

Do a search for websites on archery and probably tons of videos these days on archery. I haven’t kept up with it for a while.

2 Likes

Back when I liked fg shafts. Always straight and really tough. Great for field practice.

The Chapman Stick rocks!

2 Likes

My other hobby is writing, story-telling really. Mostly I focus on microhistory of specific areas of Seattle, Puget Sound, the Cascades or the BC Coast and whenever possible I tie it into personal experiences. Many stories are started from a personal experience or a single sentence quoted by someone long ago, notable or not, at or about a place that I know or can visit today and recreate the history of that place and that person as it/they effect our lives today. Think a combination of James Burke’s “Connections” and Bill Bryson’s “Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid” as told by a 6th grader.

Yeah. I have been twisted for some time and retirement has allowed me to research and chase answers to questions that I hadn’t had time follow up on before. Many rabbit holes. So, if you hadn’t already written me off as a complete twit I have provided you with the final nail for my coffin.

1 Like

Thanks. Looked at the Three Rivers site. Several videos lead to more questions. Need to go to a shop, and figure out my draw length. Then work from there.

Absolutely. I lost too much good learning time trying to use stock length arrows but I have wide shoulders and long arms.
You should not have much trouble finding the right length arrows.
It’s a great hobby.