Hotter than ...

Our club has a paddle this weekend … to Hell. And it looks like it will be hotter than hell (high of 95 Heat index over 100).

River paddling? At least that would provide some opportunity to seek a bit of shade…

Was hoping to paddle Sturgeon Bay but very hot air temps are forecast up here and Lake Michigan is still cold (52F in LT Bay). Wearing a drysuit on a very hot, humid, sunny day is not my idea of a good time so maybe I’ll stay inland and practice self-rescues. That is, if the large inland lakes have warmed up.

Looks like Florida is not a bad place to be this next week, Y’all come down…
On second thought…

Yesterday on Lake James the air temp was 92.
We were in our little solo canoes just cruising, and every time we got hot we would pull up on a nice sandy beach in a secluded cove and take a cooling dip.

Life is good !

For the first time in its history, NWS issued an excessive heat warning in my region. Our low temps last night were what our normal highs would be. :’(

I guess one of these days I should buy a window a/c unit.

Since it’s oppressive over a good portion of the country, stay safe out there paddlers.

The temperature is just right up here in the PNW. Today it is supposed to make it to about 72. Yesterday was about the same and I had a very nice paddle on the mighty Columbia. I actually put my skirt on for the first time in a long, long time. It got a little bumpier than I will go without a skirt. Didn’t see a single sea lion–good.

For those of you who imagine igloos and icebergs when the word “Canada” is spoken:

Of course, being in SW Ontario puts me farther south than many of the northern states. And, that thermometer is in the shade, if you were in doubt.

hmm… 64.6 on Mt Washington. Of course altitude helps.

@Sparky961 said:
For those of you who imagine igloos and icebergs when the word “Canada” is spoken:

Of course, being in SW Ontario puts me farther south than many of the northern states. And, that thermometer is in the shade, if you were in doubt.

Our temp now is 85 F. Cloud cover with rain predicted. WAY south of you.

I’m hoping for a small amount of relief tomorrow. Unfortunately it will come with rain and I missed cutting the grass last week because of rain. I might have to do it today in small sections with long breaks between.

@Sparky961 said:
I’m hoping for a small amount of relief tomorrow. Unfortunately it will come with rain and I missed cutting the grass last week because of rain. I might have to do it today in small sections with long breaks between.

My grandson cut mine today. Just before the rain.

@Sparky961 said:

Grass? We live on what looks like an Algonquin campsite. Not much grows except alder and blueberries and we got rid of the lawnmower when we moved here.

Can I send you a bumper crop of pine needles? I am sorry you have to deal with grass. I have the impression that grass was not your idea but an inherited nuisance.

Sea kayaking is relief from the heat. Even with highs in the 90’s and ocean water at 82. I did a nice long paddle yesterday. The highlight was paddling out of Mason Inlet to find a collection of SUP’s, surf skis, and outrigger canoes getting nice long rides on beautiful green waves rolling in over the shoals. I joined in and grabbed a few rides for myself in my NDK Greenlander. I found out my hemp Tilley does float to the surface, and thankfully was able to swipe it up from the water as a wave took me for another little ride. I kept myself wet, kept a good pace, and had a great paddle.

Hmm… Maybe… Maine water temps in the 50’s. Fortunately the shoreline towns are in the 70s. But the humidity is a killer. This to drysuit or not to drysuit is a killer.
I live inland. It got to 82 and so humid that the a/c in the car fogged up the windows.
All I can say the basement is nice.

The only positive thing about this heat wave is it warmed up northern Lake Michigan to above 60F. Wearing a drysuit in air temps of 96F not my idea of a good time, especially when it’s sunny and there’s no shade to hide in.

Storms and cold front moving in now, so back to normal soon, thank goodness.

Gotta agree with Greyhawk.

My cats are in the rental cabin right on the shore in Maine, being fed by a nice lady who finds the idiot one under the covers to make sure his food doesn’t get eaten by the other one. I am inland in upstate vt at a music camp, temps 92 today and projected for 94 tomorrow.
Happily there has not been a brown out so far, but this seems not to be the sanest choice…

Well, I got the grass cut - definitely not one of my favourite tasks. I’ve let a lot of area naturalize, so I only have maybe 1/2 to 1 acre of cutting now, plus a bigger mower. It used to take 3 hours and I’m down to 1 now.

I tried taking a page from kayaking comfortably and applying it to grass cutting. I soaked myself with the garden hose before starting, and once midway through. I have to say, it’s the most comfortable I was all day!

Saturday I paddled 30km with a friend, despite the heat. I was rolling about every 10 minutes.

@Celia said:
My cats are in the rental cabin right on the shore in Maine, being fed by a nice lady who finds the idiot one under the covers to make sure his food doesn’t get eaten by the other one. I am inland in upstate vt at a music camp, temps 92 today and projected for 94 tomorrow.
Happily there has not been a brown out so far, but this seems not to be the sanest choice…

Your cat is under the covers for good reason
It’s 60 for a high mid Coast.

Wrestling With a New Lake Effect and Its Summer Camp Fallout

Drysuits in the cockpit?
Best wrestle with lake jumping jacks.
Wearin’ sauna suit in steamy shower room,
think you’ll make one lower weight class.

Meanwhile in Green Mountain State,
play’n havoc with sharps and flats,
humidity on mid-nineties breeze
breaks with strings noting clarinet blaats.
(no wonder Down East’s an undercover cool cat)