How about the QCC Q400X?

Thank eveyone for there help with the QCC Q600X.

Other possibility would be the QCC Q400X. A little shorter but more stable, a better day touting kayak? Or am I giving up better tracking 600X for more stability?

Thanks again

Robert G

400 is very deep - different
Depends on what you’re after. FYI - I went straight from a 28" wide sit-on-top to a 700.

If you buy a 400 I’m sure it would be OK - for a while. Then you’ll have to sell it and upgrade. I opted to skip boats that are somewhere in between rec kayaks and true sea kayak. Others like more gradual progressions and do like the tweeners. Some stick with that teype of boat. Only you know which is more the way you do things, and what you ulitmately want to do.

Seriously Now
Call QCC. Ask 'em if you’d fit in their new model they built for Jack and Nanci. I am personally very interested in that boat. I’m about your size… a little heavier.

I don’t think you’d like the 400… I’m guessing it would be too much like your Pungo.

I Swear I’m Not The Devil

– Last Updated: Apr-02-06 2:02 PM EST –

I really am trying to help you.

About stability: The QCC600 and the 700 will feel tippy when you first start paddling them. That feeling is related to their initial or primary stability. Don't be concerned. Just lean a hair left or right and the boat will settle down. That 'grab' or settling is secondary stability. You ain't going over. This just takes a little getting used to. My buddy put some milk jugs of water in the fore and aft hatches the first few times he paddled his 700 'til he got used to it.

I hope this initial tippiness isn't what's keeping you away from other boats that you've tried. 'Cause if it is... the Tempest is initially pretty danged stable. The 600 is initially twitchy and the trade-off is speed. The 600 is probably significantly faster when when it's being pushed hard.

More boat in the other
At some point you’ll want more boat, and the 600X is more “more boat” than the 400X so should have a longer shelf life for you. As in the other communication in which I got messed up on my models (sorry!), what seems challenging now will change very quickly. Since you are moving up from a rec boat, finding a course in sea kayaking basics would be a good step. You will likely need to change your paddle strokes in response to any narrower boat anyway, and it’ll cover a lot of other basics about manuvering and being comfortable in the long boat.

I have a 400
And I will say that it is a very nice kayak. It tracks so well I can’t imagine getting a 600 just for that reason alone.

The 400 can get you there, it paddles easy. Stable enough to take pictures, snack, etc.

You can carry the kitchen sink in the rear hatch, it can hold a ton of gear. This extra volume is also a downside in wind.

I think it can hold a touring pace with the rest of them.

That said, I moved on to a Valley Avocet, for

better rough weather/wind conditions, ease of rolling, and the day hatch. It also turns much easier.

But I don’t think there is a big difference between the two boats speed. The 400 just had

to much volume for me.

If you decide on a 400, shoot me an email, If you would consider buying my used one to save some cash.

For me it was a nice transition kayak from rec.

to a touring kayak.

Nanci’s boat is cute, but…
SHORT! A little more snug for a smaller paddler - but still full beam of 600. Good choice for Nanci - and certainly some others - but at 5’8" 155 Robert is definitely pushing average sized and sized more for 600/700.

FYI - 700 is more “stable” than 600
If you wan’t more stability than the 600 - the 700 has a greater waterplane area which corresponds to a little more primary stabilty.

At your size either is an option. JackL is smaller than you and loves his 700.

I think he should get a Jensen 17 out…
of kevlar - no rudder or skeg needed.

Just a good bow paddler.

Troll !

JackL

I too
have a 400X and feel it’s a good fit for me. At 5’ 7" and 180, I fit better than in a leaner boat. A life of being a stone mason has given me wide shoulders and a 32" waist (top heavy). A boat has to fit you well to be usuable as well as enjoyable. The 400X does that for me.

paddle safe, LJB.

oh boy
you’ll figure it out, sounds like whatever you get will involve a little buyers remorse,the 400 is big and stable,if you want stability and efficiency/speed and think the 600 is too tippy I’d suggest a different boat,not sure what kind but different. Maybe a CD Caribou. you’re kind of light for the 400 as a day paddling boat, don’t think you will be limited by the speed potential of the 400,just that it’s got some freeboard

I had the same decision to make
when I first started, so my experience may not apply to you because your profile says you are advanced.

After talking for a while with Phil, he felt I should get the 600. But I was new to the sport, a bit out of shape, and thought that greater stability was the most important factor. I bought the 400X and really did love the boat…for one season. Though I kept it for a few years just for camping trips, I bought a narrower beam boat for daily use.

I do believe that if I’d listened to Phil and started with the 600, that I would still be growing with it. Take this with a grain of salt, as I still have never had the chance to paddle a one.

Lyn

Maybe
Can’t comment on that as I’ve never paddled a Jensen 17! :wink:

Willing to try one sometime though.

stability isnot a problem with a 600 or
a 700. they are rock solid, but they will scare you in the beginning. I bought a 700 and drove to Everglades Fl from Maryland having never been in the boat. When we launched for Carl Ross the boat felt real tippy, no felt primary stability. I lost all confidence, well that only lasted for about 1/4 mile. We hit 3 foot seas and the boat was rock steady. That was four years ago and I’m still growing with that boat. I have never flipped that boat, I smaller seas others have flipped. Why don’t you call Phil and ask for the name of someone near you that will let you try their boat, a lot of QCC folks are more then willing do do that.

Demo opportunities in S FL
Oops - never checked your location. Where in S FL?

If you are anywhere near Ft Lauderdale I know of four 700s and one 600 in the area. Mine is an older model and modified a bit. Not outfitted same as a new boat - but should fit you OK and tell you what you need to know about stability.

Also, one of the other local 700’s is going up for sale. Yellow over white (Kev/Carbon I think) - with rudder. Owner has become more pure race/fitness oriented, moved up to faster lighter craft, and is trimming his fleet.

Buying used won’t give you the 30 day free trial - but will save you a lot of money AND can let let you demo first/avoid shipping issues. It’s also normally pretty easy to resell used boats for about what you paid - so I tend to look at them as indefinite length demos!

PS - Call Phil
He should be able to point you to QCC owners near you.

PPS. Phil knows which boat you need.
I haven’t met Kudzu, but he is probably not the Devil.

have the 700 and love it
e-mailed them to ask about the 400 but never got an answer, so bought the CD Kestrel hybrid…wanted a swamper and used the Kestrel in February in the Big Cypress NP…yes you may outgrow it but having a very lightweight swamper is often an advantage. In Ontario last year I took the 700 and the Kestrel and actually paddled the Kestrel more because it was infinitely easier to portage it than the 700, but paddled more total miles in the 700 for obvious reasons.

I’ve Met Him
and he is the devil. He rides his bike hundreds of miles at a time. He is paddling the entire coast of NC in his kayak. He has a nice warm pool for winter boat practice. Yep, with all that he has to be the devil, LOL.

Actually, he is a great guy who I look forward to paddling some more with this season.

Mark

I love the 400x
for what I use it for which is camping and fishing. It is roomy without feeling too big so you don’t feel trapped in the cockpit like I do with lower volume boats. Carries a ton of gear and paddles very efficiently. However, the designed displacement is about 280lbs including paddler so I try to pack it with maximum 100 extra pounds so it doesn’t feel sluggish. I have recently completed a 5 night trip with it to the middle rivers section of the ENP and had no problem with carrying the gear/water and food required for that long a trip. It’s very comfortable for the 16 - 20 mile paddles we usually do to get from site to site.

Tracking: It tracks very well and really does not need a rudder. I have one because I use it to fish currents. Have paddled the boat in mostly 15 - 20 and gusting conditions all winter (typical down here in FL winters) and it handled very well even in beam winds without the rudder.

I do lot’s of group paddling trips and can easily keep up with 17- 18 foot boats. If you are into racing then look elsewhere, it’s not ultra fast. For Florida where you will be paddling in pretty benign conditions compared to the Great Lakes or Pacific NW, etc it’s a perfect little boat. If you want to go out and become a kayaker that is into rolling practice, etc then it is not a good boat for that.

Seat: Did not like the factory seat and got a whitewater NSI backband with posts and it’s really been a godsend.