How do you fill your day?

Camp prep, gear care, book(s)
By the time the camp is set up and the gear is cared for, when caqmping/paddling on the ocean, there’s not a lot of time left. But what we do when we camp on an island in the ocean is to go straight out to the place and set up camp, often eat something, then go out for the real paddling/exploring part. That means neither end stretch of paddling is terribly long, 2-3 hrs, but there’s not a lot of day left by the time we are back from part 2 and have had supper.

I tend to stay up late though, so always have a book or two with me as well as crossword puzzles. The one downside of that habit is that it adds a collapsible chair or a converter kit for the thermarest to the gear list, since leaning against makeshift rock and tree root arrangements just don’t work long term for my back these days.

sitting and staring is an idea
and an action. But once you figure in setting up/breaking down camp and scratching ones butt you might have two hours of sitting and staring. If it was a vigorous 12miles in new setting you might be napping as well.

I suggest bringing some waterproof paints and painting classic reproductions on the inside of your hatch covers or Sistine Chapel recreation under the foredeck.

Carving minatures might be an idea.

paddling with an empty kayak

– Last Updated: Jul-30-08 12:11 PM EST –

now that's a trip
"damn, this thing is going to bounce off the water it's so light!"

kill a walrus
and do scrimshaw carving on the tusks

Nope
Or did you mean the other Chuck?

-Chuck

Sitting and staring
may not be a good idea, but listening is. Amazing the interesting stuff that shows up when the mind slows down. I’ve been on trips with people who talk incessantly about gear, other places, people, whatever, and completely miss the beauty of present circumstances.

thanks…

– Last Updated: Jul-30-08 2:20 PM EST –

I kind of meant that for the OP and didn't want to scroll all the way back up. But, yeah, I agree at least with a group you make a plan and stick with the plan. The people I went with wanted to fast out there for at least another 3 days bc we didn't have any food. Not my cup of tea, bc we didn't even have a tea bag. It was a while ago, but I like organization and sticking with the original plan. Unless everyone wants to change the original plan.

That's also some good advice about spreading out activities and paddling throughout the day.

I think I would be a happy camper with a kayak and a good book.

i sit and think of what other people do
to fill their time.

Amen–live fully in the moment
I only get bored when people talk too damned much. Especially if the talk is about junk that can be talked about sitting on a couch. Politics, for example.

On water is the time to talk about the cool critters you just saw. Or not talk at all. Or maybe discuss where to camp.

These trips are for rediscovering the joy of living fully in the moment. So much of our lives is isolated from the natural world and its simple delights.

did you

– Last Updated: Jul-30-08 7:22 PM EST –

bring your kayak on the big metal birdie....just to paddle the Mississippi....I think your still full of crap....

he's Pammie....

P-14 has never
asked that dumb a question.

Not Pamlico140
or NorthOceanbeach. I have been busy at work and having too much fun paddling to have a secret id. But it was me who put in the Craig’s List ad for the Pamlico140 in Ft Collins.

I Repeat /Do Not Deface Library Material
jonsprag, LMAO!!! I didn’t say to deface library magazines! I said:

“Got magazines at home, rip out articles you like so you don’t bring the whole magazine if you want to travel light.”

You could also take an MP3 (media) player if you’re into music or you can download a book from the library onto it.

-Capri

Dang
We gotta figure out who Pam really is.

glad to hear it
I was ready to turn you in to the library police

They post on the Internet
Hawaii, my eye.

IT’S LONGSHADOW!!!
He is a seceret agent… We never know about him. He appears & disappears without anyone knowing he was around till after the fact. I bet he is letting his professional life spill over onto p.net.

Longnorthoceanpamlicoshadow!!!

BTW Longshadow, congrats on the new boat (or two or three).

Paddle easy,

Coffee

finally!
“Yes” to all the sublime suggestions and “oh, brother” to the silly ones (there are no movie theaters or restaurants within hiking distance of wilderness water; that’s simply absurd). The serious answers are variations on play, explore, paddle farther, which sum to: shut up and pay attention to where you are. And read, which sums to: extend your physical journey with a mental one. Anyone anytime with more time than ideas just needs a book. However, on water expect wetness, which is hard on books. The solution is MP3. You can pack all kinds of information in a tiny space. I have days’ worth of science podcasts and all of Beowulf, plus a little music and a slew of pictures on an iPod that’s been through the laundry. If you are far from land or tired of conversation you can listen while paddling. In your tent after dark you can listen without burning up your headlamp batteries. Heck, if you go blind you can still listen. MP3 is, in my opinion, a sad thing to do to music, but it’s a beautiful, water-resistant way to tote books around.

not absurd

– Last Updated: Aug-01-08 9:52 AM EST –

its the difference between Burlington and much of the coast of Maine---and as for "hiking distance" it's not going to happen when you are island camping, unless of course you are holy enough to be able to walk on water lAnd if you are paddling the St John River or the Allagash or practically any place in No Ontario, NewFoundland, Alaska etc you are not going to be hiking to any theaters. It illustrates the difference between actually getting out in the wild and day paddling along urban or suburban shores.

lots
depends on if your on a trip or out for the day.

Ive done some long solo paddle trips up to six months long and it just becomes a “way of living”. Your day comprises of not only paddling but eating and preping food, setting up camp, organizing things, looking over maps and route ahead, taking photos, writing in journals, exploring and side hikes along the shore or inland, reading books about the area or some trash novel, repairing, mending, cleaning of gear etc etc. Sometimes there seems not enough time in the day.

However, when I’m on a long trip I tend to paddle much longer than your quoted ‘four-hours’; I like to paddle 10-15 hours a day usually I set up camp the moment the sun dips below the horizon because I know that there is about an hour of daylight left so plenty of time to set up camp, cook and clean up and then pop into the sleeping bag etc. My goal is to paddle and the longer I do during the day the better I feel.